Error: Invalid installation path

NEEDHELPFORDYNDOLOD

Question

Error: Invalid installation path  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\DynDOLOD\   Do not install DynDOLOD Standalone into Windows folders like Program Files (x86).

I am completely stuck, have been trying to get this mod to work for over 3 hours now followed Gamerpoets' guide completely, re-installing it multiple times. If i put the DynDOLOD elsewhere it can't find it and simply won't allow me to run the DynDOLOD. Really need the help! I have seen the previous posts about this though they weren't any help.

Edited by NEEDHELPFORDYNDOLOD

4 answers to this question

You have a couple of obvious issues here. The first one is that you shouldn't install Skyrim in the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folder because Windows restricts access to these folders. It's rather unfortunate that Steam defaults to installing games here, but you can use Steam to move Skyrim pretty much anywhere you want (say something like C:\Games). The second issue is that a lot of older guides and tutorials recommend installing utilities directly into the Skyrim folder but these are incorrect. You should install mod managers, DynDOLOD, and other tools in their folder in something like a C:\Tools folder.

You should run Skyrim Launcher at least one (from Windows or a command prompt) so it creates the initial INI files and creates the registry entries so DynDOLOD and other tools can determine where Skyrim is installed.

TexGen should be run before DynDOLOD. It updates a select list of object LOD textures from full textures. Run TexGen again if any of those full textures changed and the static object LOD obviously does not match anymore. See DynDOLOD_TexGen.html for more.

Edited by sheson

I keep mods for all games in the same folder like so:

.\Games\Mods\Skyrim\Tools

So I am assuming TexGen checks for a "Skyrim" string in the path and if it is found terminates. Might I suggest to check for the presence of Skyrim.exe as well?