Could not execute Texconv.exe / A call to an OS function failed

DarkNova1811

Question

Hey there,

I've been trying a good few hours to solve this problem and I won't be surprised if it's something simple, I'm pretty new to modding and have searched the forums for help I couldn't really find something but I apologize if I missed something. I've looked for any billboards I'm missing and moved mods around but I don't understand what the problem is I keep getting the error:

[00:00:23.638]    <Error: Could not execute "D:\New folder (3)\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconv.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha  -f DXT1 -bcdither -o "D:\New folder (3)\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees" "D:\New folder (3)\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds">
[00:00:23.710]    [Tamriel] Trees LOD generation error: A call to an OS function failed
[00:00:23.751]    [00:20]  
[00:00:23.751]    [00:20] Exception in unit userscript line 254: [Tamriel] Trees LOD generation error: A call to an OS function failed

I apologize again if its simple or something I overlooked  

DynDOLOD_TES5_log.zip

13 answers to this question

A call to an OS function failed. The OS or antivirus is probably preventing access.

Check what happens if you run the command in a windows command prompt.

"D:\New folder (3)\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconv.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha -f DXT1 -bcdither -o "D:\New folder (3)\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees" "D:\New folder (3)\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds"

If that works then DynDOLOD itself maybe blocked, or it might have to the game being installed into "Program Files x86" or MO Organizer into "Desktop" or the "(3)" in the path.

After changing some things such as moving DynDOLOD, removing the 3 and putting Mod Organizer in a new location nothing changed and when running the command in a command prompt assuming I did it correctly it came up with this:

C:\Users\Ryan> C:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconv.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha  -f DXT1 -bcdither -o "C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees" "C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds
'C:\DynDOLOD\Edit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I also made sure antivirus wasn't affecting it so I'm not too sure what to do or what i may have missed

The test command is missing the leading and last "

It should be 

"C:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconv.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha  -f DXT1 -bcdither -o "C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees" "C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds"

Each path needs to quoted separately

Edited by sheson

sorry about that I did it with the " and got this:

C:\Users\Ryan>cmd"C:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha  -f DXT1 -bcdither -o "C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees" "C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds"
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Is this correct or have I done it wrong again, sorry for making this difficult

This is the command line to copy and paste into the Windows command prompt window:

"C:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconv.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha  -f DXT1 -bcdither -o "C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees" "C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds"

You have an extraneous cmd that should not be there - assuming that C:\Users\Ryan> is the prompt itself.

Save C:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\DynDOLOD_Tamriel.dds

Exception in unit userscript line 345: System Error.  Code: 2.

The system cannot find the file specified

The "file" the system cannot find is most likely TexConv.exe (otherwise the message would be a long the lines of TexConv returned an error)

It seems that the OS or a third party program like antivirus is still interfering with access.

The windows command line test verified that TexConv can itself can run without issue and that all the paths are correct. No need to test that again.

The OS, antivir or another 3rd pary program/influence prevents DynDOLOD from executing it. You may want to try to unblock, whitelist, run as admin or disable whatever might be blocking access etc. 

Edited by sheson