SKSE "Won't load properly or is being overwritten"

Sharkanoh

Question

I load SKSE in MO2. I'm able to get to the main screen, but whenever I try to actually play SkyUI Error 7 pops up and says SKSE isn't load properly or is being overwritten. After that dialogue comes up the game crashes. I've tried multiple ways to fix it, but it just isn't working.

8 answers to this question

This is how I do it...

* Download SKSE and ensure SKSE is compatible with the version of Skyrim Special Edition you currently have installed.

* Right click on the SKSE file you download, click Properties, click Unblock, and click OK.

* Extract skse*.dll, skse64_loader.exe, and skse64_steam_loader.dll to the Skyrim Special Edition folder.

* In Mod Organizer, install mod, select the SKSE file you downloaded, and install it as a mod. This installs the Scripts folder in Mod Organizer.

* In Mod Organizer, add a new executable for skse64_loader.exe and name it something like SKSE.

You might also verify that ModOrganizer.exe isn't blocked if you are on Windows 10 because Windows 10 and antivirus software may block the virtual file system. Also verify all installed plugins that require SKSE are compatible with the version of SKSE you have installed.

Have you tried running SKSE from a pure vanilla profile without any other mods activated? You can do this fairly easily by creating a new empty profile and running skse_loader.exe from this new profile. Assuming this works fine, you may either slowly rebuild the profile you want to use or deactivate the mods in your existing profile in chunks (say 5 or 10 at a time) to narrow down which mod(s) are causing the issue.