Starting a new mod for Oldrim, things i should keep in mind for DynDOLOD?

Merkahia

Question

So, i was playing with a mod called "Whiterun Gatehouse and Walls Restored" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54745) on a new install of the game and when i ran DynDOLOD i found out that this mod had a problem with it, with LODS and full models beeing displayed at the same time and a big floating building far away. I tried several solutions i found online and wasn't able to fix it, so in the end i decided to make my own mod with the same premise, that is to improve Whiterun's (and maybe other towns) defenses to be on par with other mods in my loadorder.

My problem is that i don't have a lot of experience in modding and i don't know what should i keep in mind in order to avoid running into the same problems i saw with "Whiterun Gatehouse and Walls Restored" once i run DynDOLOD as i want my mod to be compatible with it. I would be using only vanilla assets and just replacing/moving the objects that already exist on that area (whiterun exterior cells). Well, that's all, thank you for your time, to anyone that reads this

2 answers to this question

FAQ: Game: Out of place objects / floating objects / flickering full models 

A: Some mods are made with disregard to generating LOD or require updated rules and configs for best compatibility. This is especially true with mods modifying the walled cities. Users are asked and welcome to provide feedback to https://forum.step-project.com/forum/101-shesons-dyndolod-support in order to get everything working with as much compatibility as possible. Include a link to the mod and screenshots (with console / form id) about issues if possible. 

The mod adds new references in the Tamriel parent world but also their counterparts to the WhiterunWorld child world, so they can be seen past the walls.

DynDOLOD scans the child worlds for new references that can have LOD and automatically add facsimiles in the parent world. It filters out duplicates by their position/rotation, however sometimes the differences are too high and it fails.

In cases like this, add plugin.esp=worldspace name to ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_[GAMEMODE]_mod_world_ignore.txt so the references in the child world are not picked up at all.

So in this case it would be:

Whiterun Gate Restoration.esp=WhiterunWorld

Then generate LOD.

If you are creating your own mod, ensure the positions/rotation of the same objects match closer, so the filtering works. Or if that is not possible, add the plugin name to the file to it filter out.

In case you make the mod that needs custom rules public, you can include a rules file in the game data/DynDOLOD/ folder next to usual data/meshes or data/textures (it can also be packed into a BSA)

DynDOLOD_TES5_whiterungaterestorationesp.ini

[skyrim Settings]
IgnoreWorlds=WhiterunWorld

See DynDOLOD_Mod_Authors.html How to add rules for your own mod for more.

Edited by sheson