Remove Small Rocks (by Corsafire)

TechAngel85

• 8 months later...

Descriptions mentions: "If you have DynDOLOD installed, use this version instead." and as you have DynDOLOD when following the guide it might be the option to choose for STEP?

Wiki page for it doesn't mention any preference and both Main Files are fairly new, so i didn't know if there was already any knowledge about which of the two versions is better and if one could even be harmful.

I downloaded and installed both versions of the mod. Both versions provide the same meshes and textures, but the meshes are different between the two. The meshes in the compatibility version have a BSFadeNode root whereas the meshes in the non-compatibility version has only BSXFlags without any nodes. I seem to recall Sheson saying the LOD meshes should have a BSFadeNode node.

I downloaded and installed both versions of the mod. Both versions provide the same meshes and textures, but the meshes are different between the two. The meshes in the compatibility version have a BSFadeNode root whereas the meshes in the non-compatibility version has only BSXFlags without any nodes. I seem to recall Sheson saying the LOD meshes should have a BSFadeNode node.

Yeah, but this is a grass and DynDOLOD shouldn't be touching it so I don't see what they deal is. The author replied and I get the feeling not really much is known:

It is unlikely to cause CTD, but the use of a BSXFlag alone as a remover technique instead of a BSFadeNode comes at the cost of being incompatible with dyndolod (could change in the future). Right now, we only found out that it only is a problem for a rubble mesh and a couple of glow meshes. Still, I made the high compatibility version in order to increase compatibility as much as possible considering the limited information. The difference is that I do not remove the data of the mesh, simply hide it with an hidden flag. The result is the same in-game except you might use a couple more mb of vram compared to truly removing it.

I've never gotten any CTDs or seen any issues with the normal version of the mod.

It confused me initially as well, but if you install the mod you'll see it's composed of rock grass meshes and textures:

meshes/dlc2/landscape/dlc02ashdunevolcash01m01.nif
meshes/dlc2/landscape/dlc02ashdunevolcash01m02.nif
meshes/dlc2/landscape/dlc02ashdunevolcash01m03.nif
meshes/landscape/grass/rockgrass01.nif
meshes/landscape/grass/rockgrasssnowobj01.nif
meshes/landscape/grass/rockgrasswater01.nif

textures/landscape/grass/rocksgrass01.dds
textures/landscape/grass/rocksgrasssnow01.dds
textures/landscape/grass/rocksgrasswater01.dds

Huh??

This mod implies that it "removes small rocks", which should be objects that have low/poor poly count ... and which should NOT have LOD, IMO. So should NOT need BSFadeNode ... grass?

I don't get any of this ...

It's the small clutter rocks you see dotting the sides of the roads, river banks, and mountain edges. It's not actually rocks but a grass. Instead of grass blades on the mesh, it's small round balls that are suppose to resemble rock debris. It's a very cheap way to get some low-poly rock clutter, however, it's a landscape texture that is painted just like dirt and grass. You can put anything you want in a grass texture and paint it over the landscape...ferns, flowers, bushes, etc.

Regarding this issue that has been brought up, I don't think there is anything to be concerned about. DynDOLOD also updated today with a possible fix for it to simply ignore meshes without the expected format.