Soul Gems Differ - Full and Empty (by Utopolyst)

stoppingby4now

• 1 month later...

I just spent 30m trying to figure out why BAIN wasn't recognizing the BCF/Wizard.7z file I downloaded from the wiki page for Soul Gems Differ. I took a look inside and it has another .7z file inside of the .7z file lol.

Might I ask for a re-upload of the BCF/Wizard? I'm not sure how many other people were as confused as I was and ended up manually installing this mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Utopolyst has given us authorization to update his plugins for v1.9, and it would be great if someone familiar with NMM could create the fomod based on the reconfigured folder structure that the Wrye Bash wizard uses.

Neovalen / Kelmych / WilliamImm / MontyMM ... would any of you be willing to update the plugins in current CK?

Anyone else willing to create a fomod based on that folder structure (hint, run the BCF to get the proper folder structure... beware, it is a beast!)

@eriahers

Follow the instructions in the mod description ;)

I'm not one to create fomod installers - mainly because I never really work with them. I'll see if I can't ask Schwinni (who created the fomod installer for Closer Quivers) or SilentSpike (who is pretty good at doing BAIN/NMM installers) to do the NMM installer.

As for the plugins - I can do them. Open them up in the CK, save them again, then use TES5edit to check for conflicts between the USKP and other soul gem mods. And the two overhauls for Skyrim. (I've already created a Soul Gems differ patch for Requiem - might check SkyRe to see if it really changes the soul gems)

I'm not one to create fomod installers - mainly because I never really work with them. I'll see if I can't ask Schwinni (who created the fomod installer for Closer Quivers) or SilentSpike (who is pretty good at doing BAIN/NMM installers) to do the NMM installer.

As for the plugins - I can do them. Open them up in the CK, save them again, then use TES5edit to check for conflicts between the USKP and other soul gem mods. And the two overhauls for Skyrim. (I've already created a Soul Gems differ patch for Requiem - might check SkyRe to see if it really changes the soul gems)

That would be great if you wouldn't mind handling the plugins. If your guys can work off of the converted complex BAIN package to create the fomod using the same defaults, that would be fantastic, but there must be someone around here that can do that ... ?

M3rvin  created the intitial fomod for that one.

Actually, I dabbled in C# programming once. Looks like the fomod installer is a custom C# one - so, I can try my best to modify it to the needs of this project. However - if you want the Fomod installer to match the BAIN one - I think I'll have someone else do the Fomod installer instead (possibly using the standard XML format for Fomod installers).

What I'm thinking of is popping up a initial window/screen asking if you want to go with the STEP defaults, Neovalen's defaults (from his Skyrim Revisited guide), or customize it yourself. I'll probally start by modifying the BAIN wizard to do that, then (somehow) get the Fomod installer to do the same.

The wizard already has STEP defaults set, and the auto wizard works (see the detailed notes on the mod page for diffs with Neovalen). I am fine with altering those defaults but curious to know if there is a general preference for one or the other. I'll check out Neo's now ...

Regarding the fomod: I'd really appreciate it if you could manage that, but I'll also put in a question to M3rvin. Another possibility is adopting the wizard to match the fomod defaults if they are agreeable.

EDIT: Just looked at Neo's defaults, and I think that it would be beneficial to have more variation between SG types. He is only using three variants for all 6 types -- other ideas?

EDIT2: Utopolyst is not modding at the moment (he and his GF are in the midst of their doctoral programs), so he has graciously bestowed stewardship of his mod unto me. I have asked him what he envisions as a default, as that will probably be the best bet, since he has thought about the possibilities more than anyone I'll bet ;). As we get things updated, I'll post the updates to the Nexus.

EDIT3: I re-saved all of the plugins in latest CK (updated mismatching headers) and latest TES5Edit shows no conflicts with Acquisitive Soul Gems (checking English default, but need to check all remaining plugins).

Good to hear there will be an update. My configuration is basically "Enhanced Default" vanilla style as I was not a huge fan of the "Rainbow" choices used by TPC and thus STEP after moving from TPC.

I think your choices do best follow the STEP mandate, so we may just fall back on them; however, with the wizard, I was trying to loosely match Morrowind, which did use different colors for all of their soul gems, although there was no difference between empty and full.

I am anxious to hear what Utopolyst thinks.

EDIT: Utopolyst's picks:

Empty -> Full

Petty: Red Cool -> Red Marble

Lesser: Blue Aura -> Colorful Space 2

Common: Blue Sky -> Colorful Fantastic Plastic

Greater: All Purple -> Colorful Marble

Grand: Purple Sparkle -> Colorful Organic

After working on various combinations for two hours, I finally came up with a winning multi-color combo.

Posted Image

... and here is Neo's

Posted Image

Needless to say, I do like the first better, but I can see the attrativeness of the more basic design (although I have found the combos that would add more depth to Neo's blue). I also think the empty version of the black is more interesting with the blue rather than the red glow map.

After working on various combinations for two hours, I finally came up with a winning multi-color combo.

Posted Image

... and here is Neo's

Posted Image

Needless to say, I do like the first better, but I can see the attrativeness of the more basic design (although I have found the combos that would add more depth to Neo's blue). I also think the empty version of the black is more interesting with the blue rather than the red glow map.

Both combinations are much better than current choices, but I like the different colors for different gems so I'm leaning towards Z's colors personally, but as always: more choices = good.

I just updated the mod on behalf of Utopolyst. Now the BAIN wizard is included.... no BCF necessary.

I also included optional vanilla-like config instructions (this might be something for Neovalen) ... also added a new texture for black SG... this is a muted version of the "hints of red", rationale being that the "bloody" was really not black, so now there are two versions that are black for empty & full ;)

VANILLA         >       VANILLA-LIKE SGD    >     BAIN DEFAULT

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The Soul Gem mods always annoy me' date=' there are so many choices, I always end up just installing what everyone else seems to be using or ignoring the mod altogether.[/quote']

Me too, and that is why I went through hours of determining the best options, creating a new black souls texture and configuring the auto wizard to install the best combo ... no hassle.