Audio Overhaul for Skyrim SE (by DylanJamesWasTaken)

TechAngel85

• 2 years later...

I am still using the old (3.4.3) version of the mod. What would be the best approach now to upgrade? Start checking and deleting the existing patches, then updating and playing without any patches? Will this (the 'Audio Overhaul' update plus adding 'Sound Record Distributor') add new conflicts within the 'Sounds & Music' category? How to even check for conflicts in the new setup? Would it be interesting now to also add the author's two expansions to the mod?

Questions for a new thread/topic maybe?

This one may a tricky because the new version contains a plugin that contains many of the same records in the old version so it may not be as easy as removing the overrides/forwards from the CR patch and then installing the new version in place of the old version. I suggest doing this in a copy of your existing profile just in case.

You should already have a mod named Audio Overhaul Skyrim (3.3.2) and the new version defaults to Audio Overhaul Skyrim (3.9.1), so install the new version, let it use the default name so it installs as a new mod (don't overwrite or replace the 3.3.2 version) and do not check/activate the 3.9.1 version yet. Move the 3.9.1 mod so it's just below the existing 3.3.2 mod.

Run xEdit and load only the Audio Overhaul Skyrim.esp plugin. Once loading is complete, right click Audio Overhaul Skyrim.esp, select Compare To, and browse to and select the 3.9.1 version of Audio Overhaul Skyrim.esp. This should be in the mods\Audio Overhaul Skyrim (3.9.1) folder in the profile and is probably in %APPDATA%\ModOrganizer\profile_name. You should see the 3.9.1 version load with a fake name like Audio Overhaul Syrim00.esp just below the 3.3.2 plugin.

As you browse through all of the records in the 3.3.2 plugin, note any changes in the 3.9.1 plugin and record all records that are removed in the 3.9.1 plugin. it looks as if the 3.9.1 versions removes records in the Weapon group and all records in the Region group with the exception of AudioIntCustom_AOS. I may be overlay cautious here, but I'd keep good notes the changes and records that are removed.

Once complete, exit and rerun xEdit. If the CR patch has Audio Overhaul Skyrim.esp as a master, you can load only the CR patch; otherwise, I'd load everything. Now go through the records that were removed in the 3.9.1 version to see if any of these records are overridden by the CR patch. If these are overridden in the CR patch, look closely at the CR patch to determine what exactly is overridden. You can remove the record from the CR patch if it is overriding only AOS; otherwise, revert the AOS changes to vanilla.

Exit xEdit and save the CR plugin when you are finished. Activate the 3.9.1 plugin first and then deactivate the 3.3.2 plugin. I do it in this order to keep the plugin in the same position in the right pane. Now run xEdit and carry forward any necessary changes from the 3.9.1 plugin into the CR patch. You can also remove any overrides from the CR patch if these are no longer necessary.

A very simple approach to resolving this is to do as @Greg suggests with a slight (but significant) modification:

First, add the attached script to your xEdit installation: ../xEdit/Edit Scripts/ (it's just a slightly tweaked version of "Report Masters.pas" shipped with xEdit)

1. Install AOS new version as a different mod name. It can be anywhere in your mod list (defaults to highest priority).
  2. Go into that mod (right click, "Open in Explorer")
  3. Rename the plugin by adding a suffix or whatever before ".esp"
  4. Activate this (and all other Step mods as normal)
  5. Run LOOT to sort.
  6. Run xEdit and load the CR patch along with the renamed AOS (this will load the original AOS and all other CR patch dependencies)
  7. Once loaded, right click on the Step CR patch > Apply Script > select that script and OK.
  8. Once you get the report back, tick AOS plugin master and OK (this bolds all records in the CR patch that correspond to the original AOS)
  9. Find the record(s) that have no corresponding records in the updated AOS plugin (there is only one under "Weapons" branch I think)
  10. Remove this from the CR patch and save this (just close xEdit and select OK).
  11. This is your updated CR patch, so it's ready in MO now. Simply reinstall the new AOS mod (over the original this time), and remove the renamed new AOS mod, and you're good.

Report masters and flag records.pas

Thank you both so much for this!

Audio Overhaul is now also updated to version 4.0.0, which now also includes the runtime sound record distribution of magic sounds. Might also affect the 'Vokrii - AOS' patch, which is the only other AOS patch currently outside of the records in the STEP patches?

Edited by CorneliusC

52 minutes ago, CorneliusC said:

Thank you both so much for this!

Audio Overhaul is now also updated to version 4.0.0, which now also includes the runtime sound record distribution of magic sounds. Might also affect the 'Vokrii - AOS' patch, which is the only other AOS patch currently outside of the records in the STEP patches?

Not sure about that, but obviously not something we would deal with on our side. You would need to check that stuff similarly to update that patch yourself. We'll just wait for the mods to update. Do tell if you find anything though.

I suspect there are likely many plugins that could use some patching after the latest rounds of updates in the past few months. Krypto patches very likely. Those don't have much activity recently as far as I have seen.

6 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Mod instructions on the wiki are accurate. We cover those records.

Thanks.  Missed that because I was updating from 3.4.3 to 4.0.1  Made the mistake of assuming it was a new option.  Should have checked the STEP guide install instructions first.

Edited by Kattmandu

1 minute ago, Kattmandu said:

Thanks.  Missed that because I was updating from 3.4.3 to 4.0.1  Should have checked the STEP guide install instructions first.

No worries. The current guide instructions aren't quite as accurate as the new ones for the dev guide.

On 11/16/2022 at 5:26 PM, z929669 said:

A very simple approach to resolving this is to do as @Greg suggests with a slight (but significant) modification:

First, add the attached script to your xEdit installation: ../xEdit/Edit Scripts/ (it's just a slightly tweaked version of "Report Masters.pas" shipped with xEdit)

1. Install AOS new version as a different mod name. It can be anywhere in your mod list (defaults to highest priority).
  2. Go into that mod (right click, "Open in Explorer")
  3. Rename the plugin by adding a suffix or whatever before ".esp"
  4. Activate this (and all other Step mods as normal)
  5. Run LOOT to sort.
  6. Run xEdit and load the CR patch along with the renamed AOS (this will load the original AOS and all other CR patch dependencies)
  7. Once loaded, right click on the Step CR patch > Apply Script > select that script and OK.
  8. Once you get the report back, tick AOS plugin master and OK (this bolds all records in the CR patch that correspond to the original AOS)
  9. Find the record(s) that have no corresponding records in the updated AOS plugin (there is only one under "Weapons" branch I think)
  10. Remove this from the CR patch and save this (just close xEdit and select OK).
  11. This is your updated CR patch, so it's ready in MO now. Simply reinstall the new AOS mod (over the original this time), and remove the renamed new AOS mod, and you're good.

Report masters and flag records.pas 2.24 kB · 3 downloads

With the most current AOS version of 4.0.1 this also effects several entries in the category 'Magic effect' (in the STEP CR patch), where data for explosions and projectiles are reset to vanilla values while being distributed via 'Sound Record Distributor'. (Maybe you've already gone through all that ...)

The new script is great, thanks again

• Thanks 1