Unique Region Names (by Thingy Person)

blacksol

Notes need to be updated saying "NOT" to use the Dragonborn addon if you're also using CoT! These mods conflict and CoT is a popular enough mod the note won't be wasted. This is also help eliminate future troubleshooting of this in the Troubleshoot thread.

This is a slippery slope and I would think the STEP team will get a lot of unneeded extra work on their plate if STEP needs to be checked against 'popular enough mods'. It's already more then enough work to make sure there is compatability between mods that are in STEP.

Its no issue because a lot of the team uses some of these "popular" mods in their personal setups so we're already checking the compatibly as we go. ;)

Its no issue because a lot of the team uses some of these "popular" mods in their personal setups so we're already checking the compatibly as we go. ;)

Does that mean notes will also be added to mods like Minty Lightning Mod and Immersive Thunder which are both incompatible with CoT? Or to Skyrim Sunglare saying CoT needs to be installed before sunglare to not overwrite the sunglare.dds? And what are 'popular' mods? Is Immersive Armors popular? I believe it is more popular then CoT so maybe a note needs to be added to Book of Silence that there is a patch for IA.

Like I said I believe this to be a slippery slope. Once you start adding these sort of notes you have to be thorough, if people see a note mentioning CoT compatibility on one mod they'll likely assume other mods with CoT compatibility problems will also have a note.

If you really want to have notes on STEP with popular mods think it would be much wiser to have seperate threads in the Troubleshooting section named something like STEP and CoT, STEP and Mod-X, etc. where these incompatibilities are listed and solutions can be discussed.

Don't muddle the STEP guide with notes on non-STEP mods. 

Does that mean notes will also be added to mods like Minty Lightning Mod and Immersive Thunder which are both incompatible with CoT? Or to Skyrim Sunglare saying CoT needs to be installed before sunglare to not overwrite the sunglare.dds? And what are 'popular' mods? Is Immersive Armors popular? I believe it is more popular then CoT so maybe a note needs to be added to Book of Silence that there is a patch for IA.

Like I said I believe this to be a slippery slope. Once you start adding these sort of notes you have to be thorough, if people see a note mentioning CoT compatibility on one mod they'll likely assume other mods with CoT compatibility problems will also have a note.

If you really want to have notes on STEP with popular mods think it would be much wiser to have seperate threads in the Troubleshooting section named something like STEP and CoT, STEP and Mod-X, etc. where these incompatibilities are listed and solutions can be discussed.

Don't muddle the STEP guide with notes on non-STEP mods. 

While I agree with what you said, just figured I'd point out that Mintyäs Lightning Mod isn't incompatible with CoT as it has an official compatibility patch made by Minty at https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25675

Tele toko had some valid points here. I'm with him on this one. Adding a note to one mod will mean we'll need to add them to all mods. We're already struggling resource-wise.

Although creating extra page for each mod in troubleshoot section seems just as a tedious task.

My suggestion would be to either update mod pages with relevant comments and add general note to the STEP guide that for any compatibility notes users should look there or update OP mod threads on forums with the relevant info. Or both.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I'd ad the notes myself if I had editing privileges to do so. I think its worth while to do it now. This way it will be prepared for when STEP releases its official add-on packs which will likely include CoT. My personal feelings I'd that CoT should be added back into STEP, but that's another thread.

I think we can afford much more flexibility in the troubleshooting section - if someone asks, and you happen to know, no harm in answering. But maintaining the guide with info on non-step mods is a slightly different consideration.

Of course if I know the answer then I'm going to help, but I'm not going to go out of my way to search down the answers to non-STEP related issues. Biggest reason is just a lack of time. Focusing on STEP will be my main priority in the Troubleshooting forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 5 is out.

• Notable precision improvements: holds marked off more accurately, etc
  • Riverwood and all other towns get their own region name (back)
  • This is actually version 2.1, cleaned manually with TES5Edit

Version 5 is out.

• Notable precision improvements: holds marked off more accurately, etc
  • Riverwood and all other towns get their own region name (back)
  • This is actually version 2.1, cleaned manually with TES5Edit

I just opened up the file quickly in tes5edit and noticed there's a lot of conflicts with Dawnguard. Haven't used previous versions so not sure if this is due to reverting back to 2.1 and cleaning it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I looked at version 5 and found, as mentioned, that it didn't include region name additions and some new location names from the 3 DLC.I found very few situations, other than DLC additions, where its region records should be overwritten when there is a conflict with other mods (e.g., SoS mods). I suggest loading it fairly late in the mod order so the new region names are not overwritten by mods that are using the basic Skyrim.esm records for regions.

I looked at new Dawnguard version. It seems to have all the essential edits needed to support Dawnguard. I made a few changes (~10) in my copy for Hearthfires that I doubt are critical; they add the names of the 3 house locations.