MO2 crashes SKSE every time no matter what

paribas

Question

Every time i wanted to change to MO from any other launcher, it always ended in not being able to load SKSE. It always loads a black box in my top left screen, and depending if i have mods or not, it takes a minute or a couple of seconds for it to crash. Ive followed guides on how to set it all up, did it all again just to see if i did it wrong the first time, and it still doesnt work. Running SKSE through the .exe works, but its obviously without mods, and it works on every other launcher. I really dont want to reinstall mods again and downgrade my launcher. I would also want to ask if its normal that after loading skse.exe it should say that it now is loading TESV.exe. Please let me know what information i should provide.

1 answer to this question

I'm assuming this is for Skyrim Legendary Edition since you mention TESV.exe. First and foremost, ensure that Skyrim is not installed in a UAC protected folder like C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). It's rather unfortunate that this is the default path used by Steam but you should install Skyrim preferably in a folder you create so you don't run into odd permission and security issues.

Basically all you need to do is download the appropriate version of SKSE and save the archive file somewhere. I recommend right clicking on the archive file in File Explorer and clicking Unblock and OK before extracting the files. Now just extract the files right into the Skyrim folder (this is the same folder containing SkyrimLauncher.exe and TESV.exe). This means you should have skse_loader.exe, skse_steam_loader.exe and skse_1_9_32.dll in the same folder as TESV.exe. While in the Skyrim folder, create a new folder named SKSE and in the SKSE folder create a new file named SKSE.ini. Ensure the file is really named skse.ini and not skse.ini.txt. Edit the file in a text editor like Notepad and paste this into it:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Save the file. Now run skse_loader.exe and you should be able to start and play a new game without any issues.

Download Mod Organizer and be sure to unblock the file you downloaded before doing anything with it. If you are using the installer, double click the installer and install it somewhere outside the UAC controlled folders. You can use something like C:\Games or C:\Tools or a folder on any local hard drive or SSD. Do not install Mod Organizer in the Steam or Skyrim folders because the virtual file system will not work and do not install Mod Organizer to a network shared folder because Windows won't trust it.

Run Mod Organizer and go through any settings that you need. I also recommend running TESV.exe once to verify that you can start and play a new game without any issues. Assuming the game is working fine from Mod Organizer, go back into Mod Organizer. Click the Configure executables button (the cog icon) and add a new entry as follows:

Title: SKSE
Binary: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe
Start in: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim
Arguments:

You may need to change the paths but this is basically all that's required. Click Add to add SKSE as a new executable and click Close to close the dialog. You should also be able to run SKSE from within Mod Organizer just fine without any issues.