Candle Lanterns of the North (by Chesko)

stoppingby4now

• 8 months later...

I never really understood what this mod did.. Was it the same as wearable lanterns except you need to replace candles and oil? If I only use the wearable lanterns main file (having an always-lit lantern on my belt), do I need this mod too? Basically, I only use the wearable lantern that hangs on your belt and never goes out. It is always on when equipped. Is Candle Lanterns of the North the same thing but with different lanterns that are harder to maintain and require refilling?

this is a sort of add-on mod for wearable lanterns, but as far as i know recent skyrim updates have broken candle lanterns of the north. if i remember correctly, what it does is allows you to pick up lanterns with candles in them and use them. i could be slightly off though.

this is a sort of add-on mod for wearable lanterns' date=' but as far as i know recent skyrim updates have broken candle lanterns of the north. if i remember correctly, what it does is allows you to pick up lanterns with candles in them and use them. i could be slightly off though.[/quote']

Hm, I wonder why it's still in STEP then. So basically, if ALL I WANT TO DO is use my Travel Lantern (the one from the main wearable lanterns file), I can remove this, right? I'm all for removing script-heavy mods. The less scripts running in my game, the more stable it could be :P. 

aye, all you need is the main wearable lanterns mod if you just want to wear a lantern on your belt.

I will say this though, chesko is working on a big update for wearable lanterns. he cannot even guarantee a clean update for the mod at this point, meaning that the mod in its current state may need a new game if you plan to update to the less buggy and far less script intensive update when he finishes it.

aye, all you need is the main wearable lanterns mod if you just want to wear a lantern on your belt.

I will say this though, chesko is working on a big update for wearable lanterns. he cannot even guarantee a clean update for the mod at this point, meaning that the mod in its current state may need a new game if you plan to update to the less buggy and far less script intensive update when he finishes it.

That's really useful information, deathneko, as I'll be starting a new playthrough soon. Can you point me out to the relevant thread? Or - are you aware of any ETA on the new version?

i did not say he will definitely require a new game for update. I said that it may come to that since he cannot guarantee the integrity of a clean update in a current game. the current version is so buggy and the update will have the scripts overhauled so drastically that I doubt the update in a current game will function 100% reliably.

Bugger. Chesko seems to have removed the reply to my update questions about a month or two ago.

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on what you call stable. I used to ctd/freeze every 30 seconds so having one every hour is good enough for me. Removing a scripted mod like candle lanterns of the north would remove some script loads from the game. I would expect it to be more stable after that. For example, the removal of DSI helped remove combat freezes for me. Combine the removal with the 'clearinvalidregistrations' feature of SKSE and I don't see why that couldn't help.

"clearinvalidregistrations" is by no means a guaranteed way of cleaning a save file from redundant scripts. The ONLY 100% safe solution is go back to an earlier save without the mod in questions.

I also wouldn't call 1 CTD/h a stable game ;)

I didn't mean to say it is a guaranteed way. I just said it's a good thing to have. It once reduced my save file size by half and reduced stuttering. So it helps to some degree. I do agree with you that the only 100% solution is to go back to an earlier save that doesn't include the mod.

Also, it's more like 1 Freeze/h. I barely ever a CTD. But again, I call that stable for myself. Others may call that unstable. Before ENB Boost, i used to CTD/Freeze every like 20 seconds around certain areas around Skyrim so 1 freeze/hr or no freezes in a few days is good enough for me. Either way, I'm happy with it. I have just had stability success by removing script heavy mods in the past so I figured removing this one might help. Is that not the case?