Bring Out Your Dead (by Arthmoor)

TechAngel85

• 1 year later...

What the...I could have sworn I read that he was going to leave them up, but all future updates would be on AFK. Must have changed his mind or I read something wrong. This is to be expected. We'll be check all mods once the dust is settled. They will be removed or updated with alternative download locations.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:01 PM, Zeelia said:

PC Gamer's article says that he intends to leave his mods up on AFK mods

All his mods will be at AFK Mods (it is his forum) according a post at AFK Mods.

On 8/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, TechAngel85 said:

What the...I could have sworn I read that he was going to leave them up, but all future updates would be on AFK. Must have changed his mind or I read something wrong. This is to be expected. We'll be check all mods once the dust is settled. They will be removed or updated with alternative download locations.

He stated that a "handful" of mods for SSE will still be on Nexus (without any updates) but he did not mention what mods that handful is, i hoped it would be the ones in the STEP Guide to. :(

18 hours ago, Mercury71 said:

All his mods will be at AFK Mods (it is his forum) according a post at AFK Mods.

He stated that a "handful" of mods for SSE will still be on Nexus (without any updates) but he did not mention what mods that handful is, i hoped it would be the ones in the STEP Guide to. :(

We can just link to AFK Mods for those files. Users will have to have an account there to download them.

On 8/8/2021 at 6:42 PM, TechAngel85 said:

We can just link to AFK Mods for those files. Users will have to have an account there to download them.

This is one problem with hosting them on IPS software (AFK Mods-specific config, maybe). People should not need to register an account to obtain a mod. This will alienate many potential users, so no such mods should ever be CR Patch masters.

23 minutes ago, Greg said:

I'm having mixed feelings about this as well. I prefer to keep Arthmoor's mods in the guide, but I honestly don't want to create an account on afkmods just to be able to download mods.

Agree. I think we ought to post over there and ask them to allow guests to download. Should be a simple setting. They may be doing this purposefully, but maybe they aren't. Why would they want a bunch of members that will never post?

4 hours ago, z929669 said:

Agree. I think we ought to post over there and ask them to allow guests to download. Should be a simple setting. They may be doing this purposefully, but maybe they aren't. Why would they want a bunch of members that will never post?

Yeah, I was thinking it should be as simple as allowing Guests to download in the software. They may not be willing to go that route, though. I'm mixed with whether or not they should be masters. Don't you also have to have an account at Nexus to download? If the agreement goes that such mods shouldn't be masters, that is going to cause a big issue with patching so we might just want to revaluate such mods. Most of Arthmoor's mods are not necessary for the Guides. For the most part, they just gameplay addons and quality of life stuff.

EDIT:
I'll message Arthmoor.

10 minutes ago, Greg said:

Yes, you must have an account and be logged in to download files from Nexus. I just verified this by going to the Run Sprint and Jump mod while in incognito mode.

So now you have the argument of what's the difference besides the server/site they are hosted on?

42 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Yeah, I was thinking it should be as simple as allowing Guests to download in the software. They may not be willing to go that route, though. I'm mixed with whether or not they should be masters. Don't you also have to have an account at Nexus to download? If the agreement goes that such mods shouldn't be masters, that is going to cause a big issue with patching so we might just want to revaluate such mods. Most of Arthmoor's mods are not necessary for the Guides. For the most part, they just gameplay addons and quality of life stuff.

EDIT:
I'll message Arthmoor.

Don't bother. I already spoke with Arthmoor. Turns out that allowing guest downloads causes his bandwidth to go through the roof. Makes sense. It probably will still increase dramatically eventually even without guest downloads.

And yes, nexus does require membership to download. I didn't recall that, since it's been fifteen years since I wasn't a member there.