Smooth Shores (by amorphis88)

TechAngel85

• 1 year later...

I advocate that we reevaluate this mod.

Testing in the development version has revealed a lot of issues of unresolved conflicts with it. Most authors aren't bothering with patching it because it commits a modding "taboo" of large/widespread landscape rescaping. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with doing as such, as long as patches are being provided. There the issue lays...authors aren't patching for it. The result is a lot of landscape holes along the shorelines. However, this is mainly with Landscape and Water Fixeswhich could be reevaluated along with this to determine which mod is best for the Guide.

Personally, I love what this mod provides, which smooths out all the blocky, jagged the devs left in the landscape along the shores. This provides a much better shoreline/water transition. However, it's interaction with SLaWF breaks the landscape.

1 hour ago, TechAngel85 said:

I advocate that we reevaluate this mod.

Testing in the development version has revealed a lot of issues of unresolved conflicts with it. Most authors aren't bothering with patching it because it commits a modding "taboo" of large/widespread landscape rescaping. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with doing as such, as long as patches are being provided. There the issue lays...authors aren't patching for it. The result is a lot of landscape holes along the shorelines. However, this is mainly with Landscape and Water Fixeswhich could be reevaluated along with this to determine which mod is best for the Guide.

Personally, I love what this mod provides, which smooths out all the blocky, jagged the devs left in the landscape along the shores. This provides a much better shoreline/water transition. However, it's interaction with SLaWF breaks the landscape.

Where to look for these 'holes'? All over or in certain areas? Does it edit river shorelines too? I hadn't noticed anything, but I also haven't been looking at shorelines.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that the author is tackling river shorelines, too. Looks like it's a WIP, so if it gets finished, that would be a plus. People usually quit these big projects before completing. This may be why nobody is patching for it ... yet. I can imagine that it will conflict with many mods though. LSaWF addresses a ton of issues that this mod will likely never touch, so it would seem that they should be patched.

Curious why this is in Locations rather than Fixes

30 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Where to look for these 'holes'? All over or in certain areas? Does it edit river shorelines too? I hadn't noticed anything, but I also haven't been looking at shorelines.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that the author is tackling river shorelines, too. Looks like it's a WIP, so if it gets finished, that would be a plus. People usually quit these big projects before completing. This may be why nobody is patching for it ... yet. I can imagine that it will conflict with many mods though. LSaWF addresses a ton of issues that this mod will likely never touch, so it would seem that they should be patched.

Curious why this is in Locations rather than Fixes

Yeah, they are all over the place, but you can travel the rivers to see them. Some are near Whiterun. Smooth Shores is likely abandoned. There hasn't been any updates in a long while.

Because it's not really a fix (nothing is broken). All it's making are landscape edits (all over Skyrim), which fits more with locations.

14 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Yeah, they are all over the place, but you can travel the rivers to see them. Some are near Whiterun. Smooth Shores is likely abandoned. There hasn't been any updates in a long while.

Because it's not really a fix (nothing is broken). All it's making are landscape edits (all over Skyrim), which fits more with locations.

Yeah, just looked at the mod more carefully. Lots of conflicts with Realistic Water Two as well as USSEP and many others. Too bad it's abandoned. Looks to be about 75% completed. Nothing in the icy shores is fixed though. Looks like it will never be updated unless someone takes it over.

• 2 weeks later...