Photo

Need help with stuttering. Observations and results.

Best Answer ntnssc , 25 January 2020 - 06:36 PM

Fixed. Went completely wrong way about it. Disabling game vsync still seams to increase performance. Rebuilding everything with dyndolod, lodgenx and reinstalling ENB solved the problem. How do I delete this? Sry.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ntnssc

ntnssc

Prisoner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Edit: Oops. I think I posted in a wrong forum :\

Setup is as close to STEP as possible. I think I may have made a mistake somewhere along the lines to cause an issues.

GTX1080 Ti (4-5/8 GB with step), 6 cores, 16 RAM, ssd

enblocal.ini

skyrim.ini

skyrimprefs.ini

Load Order

Driver: vsync off, AA application controlled, AF user defined/off.
Game: TAA, vsync off, fps cap off, DoF off, (everything except decals is off in BethINI), god rays medium.
ENB: default Cathedralist's ENB, AO Enabled, AFx16, vsync off, fps cap X

Attempts to change vsync:
application defined, Game on, ENB on: (30-60 bad stuttering)
application defined, Game off, ENB on: (30-60 bad stuttering)
drivers off, Game off, ENB off, ENB cap 40. (30-60 less stuttering but overall still bad)
drivers off, Game off, ENB off, ENB cap 60. (30-60 less stuttering, playable?)

Wtf:
drivers off, Game off, ENB off, cap off. (same result as above)
drivers off, Game off, ENB off, cap off, clamp 60 (CTD on load)
drivers off, Game off, ENB off, cap off, clamp 30 (OK performance, 1 CTD @ coc whiterun)

Getting interesting:
drivers off, Game off, ENB off, cap 60, clamp 30 (substantial improvement in FPS stability and stutter)
drivers off, Game off, ENB off, cap 60, clamp 60 (substantial improvement in FPS stability and stutter, 1 ctd @ coc whiterun)

accaptable results:
drivers vsync off, Game vsync off, ENB vsync off, cap 60, clamp 50 (best and playable result so far)

Menu:
Drops FPS. ENB fix improved it, but still not at 60 fps.

CTDs:
So far CTDs around whiterun with 2 CTDs @ clamp 60 and 1 @ clamp 55. One CTD on game load at clamp 60.

Texture flickering:
Present, rare. Impact unclear.

Some of the fixes I added. Most notably:
uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=108
iPreloadSizeLimit=1048576000

Added fixes and settings:
[ENGINE] (no visible performance impact)
ForceLodBias=true
LodBias=-0.5
[FIX]
All settings  (not sure if I need all of them but just in case, slight overall improvements)

AF:
Moving AFx16 to ENB seams to have positive impact.

Impact of disabling all effects of ENB during testing in laggy areas is marginal at best (virtualy no change). Removing ENB completely caps everything at 60 FPS. FPS never goes below 30 (29.9). Whenever game switches from 60 to 30 there is very annoying, pretty bad stutter. Except when vysync is off completely and FPS is caped at 60 or "uncapped". A lot of stutter is resolved by iFPSClamp=50.

Conclusions:
1) Vsync sucks.
2) iFPSClamp is by far the most performance degrading/improving setting due to stuttering.
3) I have no idea what is actually causing lag spikes.

An example of consistent massive drop due to minor camera angle adjustment. It alwasy happens in that exact place:
Attached File  enb2020_1_25_10_26_16.jpg   235.51KB   0 downloadsAttached File  enb2020_1_25_10_26_33.jpg   236.36KB   0 downloads

Some test cases. Sometimes inconsistent performance and results:

Looking to the west of the first stone (lake) gets me 60 FPS. Looking to the east (waterfalls, Riverwood, water mill) results in 30 FPS. Waterfall in particular seams to be the cultrip. Road between stone and Riverwood fluctuates between 30 and 60 (has other values) so is coc whterun area. Clamp 50 improves situation. Game becomes very much playable at 30 fps with noticeable stuttering such some areas.

Ocasional texture flicker. Impact on FPS is unclear. Temple across river from stone in Riverwood has one of the stairs textures flickering. Drops FPS to 30. Rare fence flickers seam to have no(?) impact.

Using blacksmith wheel anywhere or watching blacksmith use a wheel has a slight impact of 0-10 fps, sometimes drops all the way to 30. Coming back to same NPC and it is fine. Mostly fixed by clamp 50.

Solitude produces no noticeable lag except for blacksmith on the sharpening wheel.

Honningbrew Meadery was a constant source of lag. Increasing clamp to 50 solves the problem. Changing it to 0 while game is running makes it come back very quickly but not at first. Need to walk around.

Edited by ntnssc, 25 January 2020 - 01:48 PM.

#2 ntnssc

ntnssc

Prisoner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:36 PM   Best Answer

Fixed. Went completely wrong way about it. Disabling game vsync still seams to increase performance. Rebuilding everything with dyndolod, lodgenx and reinstalling ENB solved the problem. How do I delete this? Sry.

#3 Greg

Greg

Dragon Prince

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:16 AM

We generally prefer to leave the posts in place so that others can benefit from your findings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users