STEP Skyrim SE Guide v0.2.0b - Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

The Lanterns Of Skyrim II page recommends installing an Update File that I could not find anywhere:

Download and install the Update File selecting the same choices as above.

---

After following the 'Cleaning Vanilla Master Files' step, some files still remain in Overwrite (SSEEdit Cache and SSEEdit Backups folders). I assume these should be deleted? Otherwise they end up in the FNIS SE Output mod during the 'Utilities' step of the guide.

---

After installation, DynDOLOD.esm and DynDOLOD.esp both default unchecked. In previous guides there is a reminder to ensure they are enabled in the Plugins tab, but this version does not seem to indicate that.

---

The Guide doesn't include an ENB preset for reason that should be obvious

For someone out of the loop, what is the obvious reason? Is using an ENB for this version not recommended?

Thanks! Love this guide, so glad it's still being updated!

The Lanterns Of Skyrim II page recommends installing an Update File that I could not find anywhere:

Download and install the Update File selecting the same choices as above.

Looks like the author has since merged it. I've removed that from the instructions.

After following the 'Cleaning Vanilla Master Files' step, some files still remain in Overwrite (SSEEdit Cache and SSEEdit Backups folders). I assume these should be deleted? Otherwise they end up in the FNIS SE Output mod during the 'Utilities' step of the guide.

Thanks. I've edited this section again to incorporate these two folders.

After installation, DynDOLOD.esm and DynDOLOD.esp both default unchecked. In previous guides there is a reminder to ensure they are enabled in the Plugins tab, but this version does not seem to indicate that.

Thanks. I've added a simple step to the instructions to remind users.

The Guide doesn't include an ENB preset for reason that should be obvious
For someone out of the loop, what is the obvious reason? Is using an ENB for this version not recommended?

Thanks! Love this guide, so glad it's still being updated!

No, you can use any ENB you like. We don't officially support an ENB on the Guide with installation instructions and all that goodness due to the choice of which ENB is a very subjective one. Users like what they like, therefore, the choice of installing an ENB is up to the user. There a too many style choices to lock users down into a specific style. It's also possible some users prefer ReShade over ENB. All that said, it's hard to find a good ENB that also fits within the STEP Mandates. I actually had found a near perfect fit, however, the author has hidden it without a reason given.

How about The Truth TechAngel85?  It's lightweight and does not veer very far away from vanilla at all.  It's easy to use and is one of those ENB that you really don't notice is there until you turn it off.  I still use it on some games.

Last I checked it still broke the horizon seam from Cathedral Weathers.

Lanterns of Skyrim II has 3 pages of patches A, B, and C.  The Helarchen Creek and Oakwood patch are on the C list.

The mod has been updated since I create the mod page. I'll have it updated as soon as LoSII is downloaded again.

If you want to disable a mod required by one of the patches, you'll need to use xEdit to remove the records in the patch overriding the plugin you want to disable and then clean masters to remove the reference to plugin you want to disable. This may be somewhat complex with some mods.

Thanks! Sounds a bit complicated for me so I'll just keep the required mods installed, but it's nice to know its possible.

May I ask why you wanted to disable ICAIO? I'm just curious because I thought over whether or not to include it in the Guide for a long time (I literally contemplated it off and on for at least a month).

May I ask why you wanted to disable ICAIO? I'm just curious because I thought over whether or not to include it in the Guide for a long time (I literally contemplated it off and on for at least a month).

It seems to be incompatible with a lot of mods, particularly city overhaul mods. But I've seen several people claim that if its manually loaded before these mods there are usually no issues.

Also the options menu being listed as a spell is a bit immersion breaking.

From what I've read it seems to be a fairly controversial mod but I haven't enough experience with it or the mods its supposedly incompatible with to have any opinion.

It seems to be incompatible with a lot of mods, particularly city overhaul mods. But I've seen several people claim that if its manually loaded before these mods there are usually no issues.

Also the options menu being listed as a spell is a bit immersion breaking.

From what I've read it seems to be a fairly controversial mod but I haven't enough experience with it or the mods its supposedly incompatible with to have any opinion.

The only controversy over the years has mainly been the author's personality rubbing some people the wrong way, but we've never had issue with the author. He's not a native English speaker so STEP actually helped to revise his, early, LE Nexus page. He's a pretty cool guy from our prospective. We hold our community to a bit higher standard here, which tends to cut out all the drama that happens elsewhere in the modding community.

ICAIO has always worked for the STEP Guide because the mod provides a large and consistent overhaul to NPC AI. It's a matter of opinion, but it's also one of the best overhauls available. There are other mods that add a lot of NPCs but few that aim to expand upon vanilla NPCs and none (that I'm aware) to the extent that ICAIO does. It truly makes the NPCs feel more lively.

The options being in a spell or book is actually the "old school" way of configuring mods before MCM came along so it's nothing out of the ordinary...except to maybe new users to the scene. MCM is easy enough to do, though the author hasn't released an update in a long time so I doubt we'll ever get MCM.

It's true that ICAIO conflicts with a lot of other mods, but those are mainly mods that are extensively changing content away from vanilla (such as city and dialogue overhauls). From an author standpoint, it's actually not that hard to make mods compatible with ICAIO, namely just working around the content it adds is all that is needed. However, ICAIO arrived on the modding scene well after some of these large overhaul mods did. Therefore, authors would nearly have to start from the ground up to make their mods compatible. In fact, that is exactly what the SE version of ETaC has done, and I think JK had a lite version at one point that was compatible. But starting over is such a large task than most authors wouldn't care to do it, and I don't blame them for that.

There are other mods that add a lot of NPCs but few that aim to expand upon vanilla NPCs and none (that I'm aware) to the extent that ICAIO does.

"AI Overhaul SSE" is a similar mod, and an alternative to ICAIO. Unlike ICAIO it does not add extra items to the world, does not edit navmeshes, does not utilize the quest alias system. So it has better compatibility with a wider range of mods.

few things I identified while updating to 0.2.0b guide.

Wiseman303's Flora Fixes - Revamped
Not longer included in the guide. I guess, due to being included in CACO. However there is no note in changelog that it has been removed and also the mod's status in Mod Anthology is 'accepted'.

Majestic Mountains - Cathedral Concept
Requires Blended Roads which is included in Landscapes - Cathedral Concept. Installation instructions should explain this in my opinion.

Rusitc Windows
Is not in the changelog.

Modern Brawl Bug Fix
No longer included in the guide. Nothing mentioned in the changelog. Accepted tag in Mod Anthology.

Disease Descriptions for the Immersive Adventurer SE
Technically has a FOMOD installer so detailed installation instructions are required.

Ragdoll Paralysis Redux SE
No longer included in the guide. Nothing mentioned in the changelog.

The Choice is Yours
The mod has additional patch for Book Covers Skyrim available to download. Not sure if the usefulness of the patch has been checked.

DynDOLOD Resources SE
Installation options are in different order and the naming is slightly different in 2.81.

A problem that I keep running into is that certain areas within building interiors seem to be completely missing lights. For instance, in this screenshot I took of The Frozen Hearth Inn (at night) in Winterhold everything seems to be well lit except the bar where the innkeeper is standing. Moving closer to speak to the innkeeper makes it seem like I'm now standing in a completely dark room. I don't know if this is a bug or if this is intended but I would love to hear any suggestions on how I might get some more lighting in these areas.

Also, giant honey! I was able to fix this by installing a really nice mesh/texture replacement, but I'm curious if anybody else is having this issue or if I maybe installed something wrong?