STEP Skyrim SE - CR patch & L&W Patch missing masters

Methos

Hi,

I have used STEP for years on various Skyrim installs and was happy to see a SE version when I decided I wanted to play the SE version. My previous skyrim installs were very heavily modded so I am not entirely new to this, but it has been years since my last forey... that said - onto the issue.

I have completed the STEP SE guide and I believe installed all mods correctly, but in MO I am getting the following "notification" about missing masters required by STEP CR Patch, STEP L&W patch and a few other mods installed by the STEP Process, the full list of missing masters is below

Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library.esp

Book Covers Skyrim.esp

Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul.esp

Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remastered.esp

Convenient Horses.esp

DeadlySpellImpacts.esp

Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp

Lanterns Of Skyrim II.esm

Oakwood.esp

Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp

TheChoiceIsYours.esp

WACCF_Armor and Clothing Extension.esp

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp

My game loads fine and I have played a few hours on a test character but have not done any more "testing" beyond that. So no issues to speak of except the step patches obviously seem to link to mods that STEP does not install.

I could not find refernece to this anywhere on the STEP guide or the STEP patch Nexus page, but please forgive me if I have overlooked something.

Is this an issue, or an expected side effect of the STEP patch looking to make itself compatible with all these non-step mods?

Wow. You are right.

I followed the STEP v3 guide, which is apparently older than 0.2.0, which I obviously missed.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Back to the drawing board for me.

Yep, the v3.0 SE Guide is the same as the v0.1.0b Guide. We had a mishap with the versioning when we first posted the SE Guide, since all that had to be built out on the wiki to support SE. The versioning has since been corrected. Unfortunately, it's still all stored within the same category so the category page on the wiki is a bit confusing when looking at it.

Thanks for your replies so far.

I went through and removed all mods that were not part of the latest STEP guide (0.2.0b link ) and added anything that I missed.

I then re-ran the patches, LOOT etc.

Good news: I no longer have any missing masters

Bad news: I CTD on trying to load either my existing "test" save or start a new game... oh the irony of having less errors with more problems.

There used to be a troubleshooting guide on STEP back in the day to help willing but ignorant individuals like myself learn how to fix stuff on our own - because I appreciate its very VERY hard to do any diagnosing on the forums without the right data.

Is there anywhere you can point me to try and resolve this. I dont even have an error log / data dump to trawl through to try and understand the failures.

Any help appreciated

thanks

Technically you didn't follow the guide because you didn't start fresh as it is recommended at the beginning of the guide. However, I can understand that you couldn't be bothered starting the whole process again. The issue will be with your load order/mods. I would troubleshoot in this order:

test vanilla game

test game with skse

test game with ENB (if you have one)

test game with top half of the mods 

test game with bottom half of the mods (if top half is working fine)

At this point you just have to narrow it down but disabling more mods to a point where you identified a mod that after disabling it the game is working fine. Or keep enabling more mods until you find one that after enabling it the game crashes.

This is just a generic troubleshooting method that I use. I'm sure other people might have different approach. 

The issue will most probably be either with your load order, incorrectly installed mod or dyndolod generated badly or something like that.

Hi and thanks for ongoing replies.

There is no practical practical difference between what I did (removing the mods that were not part of the guide, adding the mods that I had missed, double checking the detailed installed instructions for all mods in case any had changed since the 0.1.0 / 3.0.0 versions, checking the install orders were identical, LOOTING, running patches etc etc) and starting from scratch.

Your recommended approach is sound and would help identify misbehaving mods (and is indeed the approach I followed to narrow down the "thinner torches mod" that was causing my game to crash on load - so thanks :D).

However, I'm most interested in an approach that will help with skyrim CTDs on a loading screen / randomly running around that are not easily repeatable... i.e. hard to create a "repeatable offending situation". Further issues arise in mod setups which have various dependencies, patches, compatibility patches and so on... to "disable half your mods" would likely make the game crash, but for very different reasons to the original offender.

Have googled and I recall Papy was the only logging tool in LE but IIRC it was just for scripts and not actually that useful if you were very fluent in "insert script language here".... is Papy still the only option for debugging?