Dead Body Collision Fix (by LargeStyle)

rootsrat

I personally prefer there to be no collision ;)

This is a good point. STEP is about enhancing the vanilla experience. Maybe dead body collisions is best served as a part of a realism pack? Seeing as dead bodies piling up can lead to undesirable behavior in game, maybe it should be reconsidered as a part of core STEP. Many great mods been taken out for lesser reasons. 

I don't have a preference on the fireball spell. If you have to type a console command or used a scripted spell hack, its pretty much equally bad. Not that dead bodies isn't great, use it myself, but the two are mostly interchanged. With either version, a note aught to be made to the user about what problems might come up and how to fix it. 

I've played countless hours of Skyrim with this mod and have never had a single issue with dead bodies blocking anything. Dragon bones get in the way sometimes; however, it's never been anything that I could get around. I've never been "stuck" by using this mod.

As for this mod remaining in Core, it will. All the Admins, Senior Staff, and other key members voted on the Core mods. Consider them set in stone.

I've played countless hours of Skyrim with this mod and have never had a single issue with dead bodies blocking anything. Dragon bones get in the way sometimes; however, it's never been anything that I could get around. I've never been "stuck" by using this mod.

I think the argument there is "its a very small problem that can be ignored". That is perfectly reasonable stance to take. For what its worth I agree with you. 

As for this mod remaining in Core, it will. All the Admins, Senior Staff, and other key members voted on the Core mods. Consider them set in stone.

This part of your post really bothered me though. I realize this isn't the place to address this kind of thing and it probably won't be well received. I have felt this kind of attitude on the forums before though, and aside from being a very unfortunate stance to take, its also simply not true.

What I heard communicated there is that the status of the mod is not up for debate, because people whose opinions matter more already settled it. That may not be what you were trying to say, and I don't think it's actually your opinion on the matter. Nevertheless, that is what was communicated in that post in this context. I can't help but feel like the goal there was to shut down any debate on the topic. Even if the opinion reached previously is better reasoned, I have to question why anybody would want to do that. It certainly benefits STEP and the forums to encourage open ended debate indefinitely about all aspects of STEP and everything that is done here. After all, that is the only way the project can improve.  

It is also not true that the status of the mod is considered to be set in stone, and the fact that other people have weighed in on it before doesn't change that. A hypothetical example; if it turned out that there was a fatal flaw in the mod that caused incredibly terrible things to happen, and it just hadn't been discovered before, would the status of the mod still remained unchanged? If a brand new member or a senior staff person brought it to all of our attention, would that make a difference as to how that information was received? I would hope not.

I think sometimes an alternative, unpopular view point can be perceived as threatening. Its not threatening though, its a very good thing. We should all play devils advocate every chance we get and try and throw a wrench in everything. If you use the scientific method as a model then nothing is set in stone. The most well established theories can be debunked tomorrow by an upstart teenager in a college dorm. Indeed, that is often exactly how it is done :). 

• +1 1

I think the argument there is "its a very small problem that can be ignored". That is perfectly reasonable stance to take. For what its worth I agree with you. 

This part of your post really bothered me though. I realize this isn't the place to address this kind of thing and it probably won't be well received. I have felt this kind of attitude on the forums before though, and aside from being a very unfortunate stance to take, its also simply not true.

What I heard communicated there is that the status of the mod is not up for debate, because people whose opinions matter more already settled it. That may not be what you were trying to say, and I don't think it's actually your opinion on the matter. Nevertheless, that is what was communicated in that post in this context. I can't help but feel like the goal there was to shut down any debate on the topic. Even if the opinion reached previously is better reasoned, I have to question why anybody would want to do that. It certainly benefits STEP and the forums to encourage open ended debate indefinitely about all aspects of STEP and everything that is done here. After all, that is the only way the project can improve.  

It is also not true that the status of the mod is considered to be set in stone, and the fact that other people have weighed in on it before doesn't change that. A hypothetical example; if it turned out that there was a fatal flaw in the mod that caused incredibly terrible things to happen, and it just hadn't been discovered before, would the status of the mod still remained unchanged? If a brand new member or a senior staff person brought it to all of our attention, would that make a difference as to how that information was received? I would hope not.

I think sometimes an alternative, unpopular view point can be perceived as threatening. Its not threatening though, its a very good thing. We should all play devils advocate every chance we get and try and throw a wrench in everything. If you use the scientific method as a model then nothing is set in stone. The most well established theories can be debunked tomorrow by an upstart teenager in a college dorm. Indeed, that is often exactly how it is done :). 

I knew as soon as I posted that someone would say something. Fact of the matter is, what I said is entirely true regardless if it was taken different that I meant it. I don't have an elegant way with words and am usually just bluntly honest. It's both a blessing and a curse...usually the latter because people are not used to others being bluntly honest these days. Most expect other to "beat around the bush" and sugar coat things. Torminater said it well though, "We'll not consider voting this mod out, unless a new flaw is discovered."

This voting was done a couple releases ago. If you wasn't around then to put in your vote/opinion, I'm truly sorry, but we can't continue to return to that voting at every turn and every time someone new comes along to disagree with what we did several months ago. If we did so, we'd never get anything done. I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but in order to keep moving forward we have to draw the line somewhere to say "it's final". We did that with Core months ago. So unless there are flaws found or you have a very good argument that can convince the majority of the staff that the mod doesn't belong in Core, let us move forward towards our 2.3.0 goal.

As for debate, it is always welcome. Heck, it's in our Citizenship Guide! :yes: You must realize though, if it's debate about Core mods, you'll be hit with greater resistance because all these debates took place months ago when the voting was taking place. I understand for you, it might be a new consideration/debate/idea; however, for myself and the majority of the staff your debate is probably going to be "old news" and redundant. Debate is encouraged; however, I will ask that anyone bringing up debate please do your research to find out if your debate has already taken place and resolved before continuing. If it has taken place and resolved please don't necro it! If it has taken place and wasn't resolved, please provide a link to the original debate when you decide to resurrect it so we can have it as reference material. If the debate has never taken place, then please proceed but please provide thorough reasoning behind your opinions/views. :thumbsup: "I don't think it fits Core." or " I don't agree." Is not thorough reasoning!

I hope I have resolved any negativity that resulted from my post. Let's please continue with the original topic and get this thread back on track.

I don't see the problem. As harsh to some as it may have sounded, Tech is right regardless of how anyone feels on the matter. He never said that anyone's opinion today or tomorrow does not matter. He simply stated that future opinions cannot be considered unless there is some hard proven data to change the minds of those that were here and took the time to test the mods and pass a vote on them.

And for the record, I LIKE blunt and in your face honesty. I'm the same way, and refuse to sugar coat anything. As a manager now, and in the navy past, I couldn't afford to "beat around the bush". But this is off topic. Carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've certainly had problems with dead dragon bodies blocking things (especially near the Hearthfire house close to Riverwood), but I haven't recommended the spell version of the mod since it doesn't seem appropriate to a near-vanilla game experience. The spell also hasn't worked especially well for me.

• 4 months later...

I'm unsure why this mod is in STEP at all. The game clearly isn't designed to handle this and the entire AI system collapses the second someone dies in a doorway. I don't get stuck using this mod, the enemy do and it can make combat a farce if you're a ranged fighter. Did the admins truly not run into this issue? Not to mention that bodies blocking you isn't how bodies work. Someone on the floor? You don't jump, you'd just step over them. Walk backwards into one? It wouldn't block you, you'd stumble or trip.

As I said, its reason for being in STEP is a mystery to me. It's about as immersive as that mod with the player blocking birds.

Edited by Quitch

It's a matter of preference, I enjoy this mod without the spell, no negative issues experienced. I also like the physics damage mod so I have to think twice about sprinting in dark bone-filled caves (in RL the danger would be from falling and impaling one's self on antlers rather than kicking them into a wall and suffering on the bounce but close enough).

The "dragon corpse stalking" issue is a vanilla thing, in the rare event I've encountered it markfordelete was a simple enough solution (I don't need a "spell" for a one time fix, like that annoying deck railing on the Lakeview house).

I think it's still less immersion breaking than your character sticking their foot in a dead body's chest ankle deep...

But it breaks the entire combat system in literally any environment with choke points, which is every dungeon, cave and basically interior environment. The enemy AI just gets stuck.