Cannot get OBSE to work with MO2, even following guides...

malum

Question

Greetings, here is my situation/setup:

- Fresh Steam install of Oblivion (Only the 3 Unofficial Patches have been installed). 

- Both my Steam library and MO2 are installed on a dedicated gaming drive (F:) 

- Using only Mod Organizer 2 (No other mod management tool is installed at the moment).

- Installed OBSE v21 as per the Readme instructions.

- Oblivion starts up normally from Oblivion.exe and OblivionLauncher.exe without issue.

When attempting to start Oblivion from MO2 (either the oblivion.exe or oblivionlauncher.exe) I get a CTD after the starting logos play. The error is a generic Windows error message "Something has caused this program to stop working. Please close the program."

To try and resolve this I found these 2 guides online:

https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/wiki/Running-Oblivion-OBSE-with-MO2

and 

https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/wiki/Executables-window

They seem to overlap but in either case when I get to the part in the first link that says,

"Select Oblivion.exe, Check the Force Load Libraries and click on the Configure Libraries button. Check the checkbox on the line that says Oblivion.exe and obse_1_2_416.dll."

That simply wasn't possible for me, as the box with those options was entirely blank. There was no "Oblivion.exe" or "obse_1_2_416.dll" for me to select. So, I manually added both of those files using the "Add Line" option then made sure to check the checkbox next to the lines with the file names and ensured "Force load libraries" is checked as well. The results are the same CTD message upon startup. 

I tried shutting down and restarting MO2, no change.

I re-verified that I installed OBSE according to the Readme for the Steam edition of Oblivion, I did.

I tried deleting my Oblivion startup folder under /Documents and launching the game (bypassing MO2) to recreate the folder and oblivion.ini file, no change.

I tried rebooting my PC, no change.

I'm at a total loss for what I can do to move forward.  ::(:
Edited by malum

3 answers to this question

Sorry, I have not used Oblivion in a while, But I will try to help.

I have attached a short PDF for the process to follow. it is quick throw together so pardon the roughness of it.

I wanted to stop by and say thank you for trying to assist me. While the guide did not result in success, it did give me another venue to try and I learned a bit from the experience.

In the end I purchased a second copy of Oblivion from GOG.com which never had the same problem as the Steam version did.

I believe the Steam DRM layer may have been the root cause, although I cannot be sure.

Sorry, I have not used Oblivion in a while, But I will try to help.

"Select Oblivion.exe, Check the Force Load Libraries and click on the Configure Libraries button. Check the checkbox on the line that says Oblivion.exe and obse_1_2_416.dll."

That simply wasn't possible for me, as the box with those options was entirely blank. There was no "Oblivion.exe" or "obse_1_2_416.dll" for me to select. So, I manually added both of those files using the "Add Line" option then made sure to check the checkbox next to the lines with the file names and ensured "Force load libraries" is checked as well. The results are the same CTD message upon startup. 

I have attached a short PDF for the process to follow. it is quick throw together so pardon the roughness of it.

2020-03-21 Force load libraries.pdf