Dread's Skyrim Build (a STEP build)

I've been playing with Honed Metal for quite some time now and haven't had any issues that I'm aware of... Really love it.  I can still have custom enchanted gear if I don't want to play an enchanter, or quality armor without being a smith.

Make sure to grab 'Honed Metal Voiced' as well, adds little audio files for the various interactions that make the whole thing feel a lot more like part of the base game.

I've been playing with Honed Metal for quite some time now and haven't had any issues that I'm aware of... Really love it.  I can still have custom enchanted gear if I don't want to play an enchanter, or quality armor without being a smith.

Make sure to grab 'Honed Metal Voiced' as well, adds little audio files for the various interactions that make the whole thing feel a lot more like part of the base game.

Sounds good! If don't have any issues with it I'll add it in a few days.

I played a little now with the setup, but im not sure i like the combat mods that much - its great cause its something different then usual, but the EnaiSiaion u used in your old pacts are different in many ways (Ordinator, Smilodon etc). I pushed my Skill Uncapper to 500% XP so i can test faster, maybe i like it more if i have more perks.

A "Combat,Magic & Perk" Setup with EnaiSiaion OR SimonMagus616 would be great, but it's just to much work to balance the whole modlist for both.

Btw ty for the work, had to rebuild my sykrim modlist and this guide is very much what i wanted.

I played a little now with the setup, but im not sure i like the combat mods that much - its great cause its something different then usual, but the EnaiSiaion u used in your old pacts are different in many ways (Ordinator, Smilodon etc). I pushed my Skill Uncapper to 500% XP so i can test faster, maybe i like it more if i have more perks.

A "Combat,Magic & Perk" Setup with EnaiSiaion OR SimonMagus616 would be great, but it's just to much work to balance the whole modlist for both.

Btw ty for the work, had to rebuild my sykrim modlist and this guide is very much what i wanted.

Thanks. I personally enjoy SimonMagus616's set of skill/combat mods. I enjoy EnaiSiaion's set of mods too, but I wanted something closer to vanilla and I don't think you'll find any other mods in this category that are made with so much consideration for vanilla-feel, balance and compatibility. The combat mods by EnaiSiaion and SimonMagus, Wildcat and Blade and BLunt, are pretty similar with Blade and Blunt being a little more toned down with a simplerinjury system and (imo) better stamina management system.

Hi and thanks for the guide just as I wanted to give another go at Skyrim. So, I think I followed your steps quite well and clearly as everything so far seems to work but one thing. I run on a 3440x1440 screen which is also the resolution in Bethini.. However, the game only shows up in a window that takes roughmy one third of the screen only. Tried to rerun it in fullscreen mode and got the same results. 

I feel like Im missing something quite obvious but cant figure what it is for my life. If you have any input, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yep ok, too dumb to live, just the path for Bethini to cretate the ini file was wrong.... nevermind, nothing to see, feel free to mock me, I kinda deserve it....

Edited by Lagfactor

Right now i made some changes to get a more soulslike combat, especially dodge roll and instant block (animation-cancel). Tested The Ultimate Dodge Mod, TK Dodge SE, Ultimate Combat SE & Key Bindable Dual Wield Blocking and Parrying with Combat behavior improved. All Mods conflict with with Archery Gameplay Overhaul - TK Dodge gets stuck in 1st Person on everthing than rolling forward, even after running Nemesis. So far Ultimated Dodge (its from the Nemesis author) & Dual Wield Block/Parry with Combat behavior improved are working - at least after running Nemesis with Combat behavior improved & Ultimate Dodge Mod.
Is this something u want for the guide in the future?

And one more thing, in Oldrim I had Dual Sheath Redux - for SE i found All Geared Up Derivative SE - AllGUD & Ecotone Dual Sheath, never used them, any recommendations?

Dread, been running around in game just checking things out, fast traveling, making sure everything works OK, and so far so good. Checked your changelog and noticed several changes and additions that have been made for the better, and some of my suggestions made it into your guide, and thanks for that.

One of the things that puzzled me at first was the change to fortify smithing potions. I read the description of the mod Crafting Skills Revamped : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/25418 and that mod is the one that changes it. Upon reading into the mod further, I like everything about it except THAT one change, but the other changes outweigh my dislike of it. One thing I did notice was in the compatibility section. The mod author states that it is incompatible with Enchantment Reload Fix, which is part of your guide under the fixes section. Don't know if you were aware of that or if one of your patches addresses the issue. Didn't dig into it any further than that, but just thought I would bring it to your attention if you overlooked that. 

Overall a great guide, thanks for the work that you put into it. I have been poking around in xedit looking at what would need to be patched for some NPC appearance overhauls, and trying to keep the work involved to a minimum. I keep going back to Diversity due to the vanilla hair option available. Adding a couple of individual NPC overhauls on top of it, I really like these three : 

Pandorable's Valerica : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/35799

Pandorable's Serana : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/24931

Poisoned Aela Sylvan Makeover (Mod Page NSFW) : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/35262

The Aela makeover is based off of UUNP, not a CBBE option available infortunately. I've been digging around and think I have found a way to get the old UUNP from Skyrim LE, which I used for a long time, to work in CBBE bodyslide.

There are UUNP vanilla clothing and armor bodyslides already ported by Shiva182 : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10980

I'm not asking for a change to another body type for the guide, this is just letting you know what I am looking at implementing into my version of your guide. If I get all of it working with relevant patches, I will let you know, as some people prefer a UNP body for females over CBBE. 

Again, thanks for all the work you have done on the guide and continuing to support it.

When installing dread's modlist patches, at the end, I get a not found in archive error for df_landscapeandwaterfixes - cuttingroomfloor.  As this was not a mod installed, I proceeded on for the time being but wanted to mention it.

Edited by Kneph13

One of the things that puzzled me at first was the change to fortify smithing potions. I read the description of the mod Crafting Skills Revamped : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/25418 and that mod is the one that changes it. Upon reading into the mod further, I like everything about it except THAT one change, but the other changes outweigh my dislike of it. One thing I did notice was in the compatibility section. The mod author states that it is incompatible with Enchantment Reload Fix, which is part of your guide under the fixes section. Don't know if you were aware of that or if one of your patches addresses the issue. Didn't dig into it any further than that, but just thought I would bring it to your attention if you overlooked that. 

I wasn't aware of that incompatibility. Since the compatibility issue is in a script, one of the mods has to go. I'll be removing Enchantment Reload Fix from the guide. If you want to discuss Crafting Skills Revamped, Parapets who is the author is a member of Simon Magus discord: https://discord.gg/kmKrEGU. Maybe he can explain or argue for why he did those changes, I don't have a strong opinion on whether they should be fortified or not.

Overall a great guide, thanks for the work that you put into it. I have been poking around in xedit looking at what would need to be patched for some NPC appearance overhauls, and trying to keep the work involved to a minimum. I keep going back to Diversity due to the vanilla hair option available. Adding a couple of individual NPC overhauls on top of it, I really like these three : 

Pandorable's Valerica : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/35799

Pandorable's Serana : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/24931

Poisoned Aela Sylvan Makeover (Mod Page NSFW) : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/35262

The Aela makeover is based off of UUNP, not a CBBE option available infortunately. I've been digging around and think I have found a way to get the old UUNP from Skyrim LE, which I used for a long time, to work in CBBE bodyslide.

There are UUNP vanilla clothing and armor bodyslides already ported by Shiva182 : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10980

I'm not asking for a change to another body type for the guide, this is just letting you know what I am looking at implementing into my version of your guide. If I get all of it working with relevant patches, I will let you know, as some people prefer a UNP body for females over CBBE. 

Again, thanks for all the work you have done on the guide and continuing to support it.

Diveristy looks good and I may very well look into adding that into the guide. I will take the other into consideration. I'm not really insterested in switching to UNP. I have used it and I like CBBE better. I use realistic presets for CBBE which imo looks much better that UNP.

The guide overall is really stable now. I have patched most things that needs patching. I am currently doing some consistency patching for the armors and weapons to make them feel like they really belong to the game and have consistent crafting recipes. I have two mods that have been suggested for inclusion over at Github, I will take a look at those two after I have done a mod update and rechecked installation instructions and patches.

When installing dread's modlist patches, at the end, I get a not found in archive error for df_landscapeandwaterfixes - cuttingroomfloor.  As this was not a mod installed, I proceeded on for the time being but wanted to mention it.

Thanks, fixed in a update that will be pushed today.

• 4 weeks later...

I've pushed some updates to the guide yesterday and today. The biggest updates besides keeping the guide up to date with mod updates, is the addition of breakdown recipes for all mod added weapons and armors and the addition of the mod High-Level Loot Rarified.

Breakdown recipes is recipes for ingots that allows you to break down weapons into ingots. It is a mechanic introduced to the game by Ars Metallica. Breakdown recipes has been added to Animated Armoury, Heavy Armory and a bunch of other mods.

High-Level Loot Rarified is kind of a light weight version of Morrowloots item distribution. All weapons and armors of a higher tier (glass+) is less common or even rare when using this mod. Done by a very talented mod author with an attention to detail.

I have also switched to the leveled list version of Animated Armoury. Using this version is very important, otherwise the patches won't work.

Edit:

The next thing I am going to work on is checking out Diversity and revisit Ethereal Elven Overhaul.

Edited by dreadflopp

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! What a surprise I've got by finding this guide, as I was looking to the latest updates in the STEP Core build! I remember the days when I've used the modpack from you Dreadflopp (with Enai mods) with a previous version of STEP, such a charm!

This guide right now seems to preserve the essence of the vanilla game, without adding to many stuff. I'm also a great fans of SimonMagus616 mods and I appreciate the idea to use all of them. A few mods have been updating recently, Ars Metallica (adding Fur armor recipes), aMidianBorn Book of Silence SE have been ported to SE by Kryptopyr (it is now a single pack instead of 5 different files) and I might have to check back to give you more informations for the updated files.

Was there any updates planned for this guide? Pretty much everything is optionnal so I'm pretty sure I can give it a go and start to install the mods, unless maybe the patches for the guide are requiring an update. Really great choices of mods :)

Thanks! I know this guide is a little too hard to find. I should do something about that :)

I updated all mods 16 days ago and did all needed updates to the patches. I'll do another sweep on this Sunday or Monday. I am currently working on patches for Diversity and Ethereal Elven overhaul, which will be added if everything works and looks good.

• +1 1

Hi! What I am worried about the more about updates is losing a saved game after finishing the changes but this will not be the case here. I've tried a lot of guides and constantly updating it can become time consuming rather than playing the game. Even if you do some updates for Diversity and Ethereal Elven overhaul, it should not be that difficult to incoporate them.

I've also see this week that Techangel have ported the mod HD Stone Quarry and Clay Deposit for the Special edition and that there is a new weather Patch for Cathedral Weathers for Audio overhaul for Skyrim SE.

I will keep my eyes opened for the upcoming additions and you are a 100% correct that your guide deserve more visibility ;)

p.s. Regarding Diverse Skyrim, I'm actually playing with it but I've noticed there is a bug with the quartermasters in the various Imperial camps. They are like muted when the player talk to them for the first time. I think this is a known bug for this mod but I'll go verify this detail in-game and get back to you later today or tomorrow.

Edited by MetalheadVez

Hi! What I am worried about the more about updates is losing a saved game after finishing the changes but this will not be the case here. I've tried a lot of guides and constantly updating it can become time consuming rather than playing the game. Even if you do some updates for Diversity and Ethereal Elven overhaul, it should not be that difficult to incoporate them.

I've also see this week that Techangel have ported the mod HD Stone Quarry and Clay Deposit for the Special edition and that there is a new weather Patch for Cathedral Weathers for Audio overhaul for Skyrim SE.

I will keep my eyes opened for the upcoming additions and you are a 100% correct that your guide deserve more visibility ;)

p.s. Regarding Diverse Skyrim, I'm actually playing with it but I've noticed there is a bug with the quartermasters in the various Imperial camps. They are like muted when the player talk to them for the first time. I think this is a known bug for this mod but I'll go verify this detail in-game and get back to you later today or tomorrow.

Let me know if you find out anything about the Diverse Skyrim bug. Still busy creating the patch. Diverse Skyrim and AI Overhaul has a lots of conflicts that are easy but tedious to solve. I'll take a look at HD Stone Quarry and Clay Deposit and the new weather Patch for Cathedral Weathers. I have updated the guide today to make sure it is up to date. No major changes to the patches. You shouldn't worry too much about losing a saved game at this point. Planned changes are, as said, Diverse Skyrim and EEO. These won't cause any problems even if they are installed mid game. Other future changes should mostly be texture and animation mods. Possibly more quest mods if anything interesting is released. These shouldn't cause any problems either.