ENBoost setting for fixing water?

Katarsi

Question

I have an issue that's been plaguing me regarding water. Regardless of the weather or water mod, when the weather is overcast the water has dark streaks in it, the water mist is dark and it generally looks like pollution. Depending on the intensity of cloudy weather, it can even turn black. The water itself is clear, but the effects on it (foam, mist) are hideously murky.

Besides that, I've also noticed that certain fog effects become dark in the same manner, including some dark snowflakes.

I tried troubleshooting this issue various times and found that many other people experience it, but no one has found a solid solution so far.

I've often been given an advice regarding ENB settings, something about particles, light influence and ambient influence.

The thing is, I don't use full ENB, but merely ENBoost to enhance the performance of my game. My laptop can't bear the brunt of full ENB, so I've never used it and I its settings aren't familiar to me. Besides, ENBoost on its own seems to lack most of those settings.

In enblocal.ini there is a setting UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true. If I switch it to false, I can see ENB effects in-game. I can open ENB console with Shift+Enter, but I can't use it. I have two cursors and both simply ignore the ENB console, clicking on things in the game, pulling out my weapon and swinging. I should also mention that I'm using a controller to play. And even if I switch to the keyboard via in-game settings, nothing changes.

So I have ENBoost which is not actually full ENB and I don't know whether it can help at all - even if I manage to access it, and I have polluted water which I can't get rid of no matter what I do.

If anyone can help, provide guidance or advice, please do.

I just want to report that I have solved this issue  :dancingbanana:

It was the .ini files! I made BethINI regenerate my Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini from scratch and voila - the problem is now gone. I don't know what value exactly was messed up, but fortunately, it's finally gone.

Well, at least I had updated my drivers according to your advice, DoubleYou  ^_^ Lots of them were outdated, and I didn't even know.

I always open the console when I open the ENB editor so I don't start killing people. You need to use the secondary mouse to activate the ENB controls. I don't know if this is possible with a controller.

As for the polluted water, you could turn off Particle effects by setting iMaxDesired to 0 under Particles in SkyrimPrefs.ini. But you're not going to want to do that. Did it happen in vanilla, or only after modding?

I have found that when using ENB that if I open the game menu first, ESC key, to pause the game and then open ENB settings I am able to interact with the settings menu.

As far as the water issue have you removed ENB entirely and run the game to see if it is a game issue?

Now I have a whole new problem.

After I reverted UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics to true, the game still has the ENB overlay. I tried removing ENBoost entirely from game files, and it still has the overlay.

Is it safe to assume that my game is corrupted now and I have to re-install game executables?

My guess is you didn't delete the d3d9.dll file for enb.

The only similar thing I ever had in my game files is d3dx9_42.dll and .log and both are still there. Is this what you mean?

Btw, I can't activate ENB menu anymore, so perhaps this is actually how my game looks like without ENBoost. Bloom is horrible and some fake lighting here and there are noticeable.

And my water mist and foam are still dark. Not as dark as before - now it's something like dirty peach color, even during the sunny weather (this wasn't the case before, it was properly white). I uninstalled the weather mod.

Edited by Katarsi

Your dark mists, fogs, effects, are caused by your choice of ENB. This is a common issue with some ENBs that use settings that are too much for the engine/mesh parameters. The only way to fix this is to use a different ENB, use a different mod for these effects, edit the ENB to correct this (I have no idea which of the settings cause it), or edit the meshes. On the meshes you'd wanted to turn down Light Influence and/or Emissive Multiple on the affected areas of the mesh.

EDIT
I see that you posted over on RWT too. I'll echo...
ENBoost is not meant for Skyrim SE. It, to my knowledge, was never updated for Skyrim SE. If you want an alternative memory manager, use the one included with SSE Engine Fixes.

The ENB overlay in my game isn't disabled even though I've uninstalled all ENB-related files from the game directory. I even used ENB and ReShade Manager and it said that there are no files left to remove.
Also, I never had d3d9.dll file to begin with. When I installed ENBoost, I only placed d3d11.dll, d3dcompiler_46e.dll and enblocal.ini to the game directory. After initializing the game, there was also the folder enbseries containing weatherlist.ini and intlightsprite.fx.ini in the game directory. I deleted all of it.

This is how my game looked without ENB overlay:

https://imgur.com/PwdhVhp

It still looks like that until the main menu kicks in.

This is how my game looked after I applied ENB overlay:

https://imgur.com/csOJHym

And it still looks like that - even though I had deleted all ENB-related files. It just won't go away no matter what I do.

I've also noticed that outdoors the lighting is considerably dimmer and desaturated; my guess is that Cathedral Weathers is struggling with still present ENB. On the other hand, indoors it's plagued by this eye-gouging bloom and strong colors. I've never had this problem before.

Well, at least the water is back to normal.

It's clear to me that my game is now visually corrupted. My question is - how do I revert it to look like the first picture? Do I need to verify executable files through Steam? (Please tell me that's not it)

Edited by Katarsi

DoubleYou meant d3d11.dll instead of d3d9.dll. I suspect d3d9.dll popped into his head out of habit from years of fiddling and tweaking Skyrim Legendary Edition that uses DirectX 9. Skyrim Special Edition uses DirectX 11.

In any case, ENBseries is required only if you are using an ENB preset with Skyrim Special Edition. If you are not using an ENB preset, you can remove it to get back to vanilla. I suspect TechAngel85 is correct in that the ENB preset files most likely overwrote the default enb*.ini files so you can either remove ENBseries completely or restore the files from the ENBseries archive.

Are you sure you are modifying the correct game directory? At the time of my posting, it wasn't noted what game was being modded, and I wouldn't be surprised if you have Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition installed and are modifying the wrong one and therefore not getting the expected results.

Thank you guys for your replies  ::):

I'm strictly on Special Edition.

This is the ENBoost I was using. It actually helped with performance, sped up loading screens and normalized the overall saturation and bloom. The only issue I had with it was - apparently - polluted mist and foam on water.

I've never used full ENB or any kind of preset. I only tried once to see what it's like, around a year ago I think, and my laptop definitely can't handle it.

I would gladly upgrade my situation by buying a proper PC with decent graphics, but I also have PS4 Pro and I'm already considering the upcoming PS5. The thing is, my laptop was a quick solution because I like having modded Dragon Age Origins and Skyrim Special Edition. I have the whole Legacy of Kain series here as well. I play everything else on PS. I could probably save enough for a good PC as well, but there is an upcoming surgery for my partner so I can't distribute my funds in this manner. Proper rig will simply have to wait.

Yes, I reverted .ini files back to how they were after removing all ENB-related stuff. BethINI FTW.

Edited by Katarsi

Wow. Using Fallout 4 ENB on SSE. That's messed up. There is a SSE version of ENB now. Can you provide a screenshot of your game directory?

I know there is a SSE version, but I needed the boost, not full-blown ENB. Besides, the one I used did what it was supposed to do.

If you know of an ENBoost specifically made for SSE, I might be willing to try it - but only if it doesn't mess up any visuals and doesn't require in-game tweaking.

On the other hand, seeing how all this went, I might be more inclined to just ditch anything ENB-related entirely. I just want my normal visuals back.

Here's the screenshot.

I know there is a SSE version, but I needed the boost, not full-blown ENB. Besides, the one I used did what it was supposed to do.

If you know of an ENBoost specifically made for SSE, I might be willing to try it - but only if it doesn't mess up any visuals and doesn't require in-game tweaking.

On the other hand, seeing how all this went, I might be more inclined to just ditch anything ENB-related entirely. I just want my normal visuals back.

Here's the screenshot.

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_tesskyrimse.htm