Interior sparkles(lighting) bug

Rezzoxe

Question

I myself have this problem with Skyrim and have never been able to solve it. I'm not sure if it is not dependent upon hardware or drivers or if is just another game bug. The only thing that I have been able to do to lessen the issue is lower iMaxDesired under [Particles] in SkyrimPrefs.ini to about 250. But then maybe someone else knows what the actual issue and solution is, as you're the first person I have seen who also has this problem. I blame AMD drivers. I am on an XFX R9 380x.

I also had this issue on my last two or three rigs with AMD video cards, although I assumed it was just a bug in the game engine. If i can find some quiet time, I'll see if it's reproducible on my new rig that has an nVidia RTX 2070 video card.

Thank you for the answers

I have a RX590 graphics card. But somehow I was able to fix this problem the other day. I first set the ultra settings through BethINI. Then I changed the values in the ini-files one by one, and the problem disappeared. Now I can’t remember exactly what values I changed. This problem is excellent visible in the location of Btardams. At waterfalls and clusters of fog with lighting. I just saved and changed several values in in-files at once. And after a while the problem disappeared.

That's the other problem I have found. Changing settings can cause it to be fixed for the one area, until the next area comes. Probably the only real solution would be a massive overhaul of these kinds of effects. Which would be incompatible with everything under the sun. Unless there really is something simple that I am completely missing. I am glad to see that you also have an AMD card, which even more makes me think that it is a driver issue. I have the issue in Fallout 4 as well.

I just went through Helgen Keep (after the cart ride) and I did not notice any light issues with the NVidia video card. I hesitate to say this is a definitive answer, but I do remember seeing light issues on old rig with an AMD video card.

You might ask, but I have no idea how to. I tried reporting the issue years ago, but obviously nothing happened with it.

@Greg

The waterfall inside the dark brotherhood sanctuary would always do it for me in vanilla. I know I tested it a lot there, and that is when I learned to turn down the Particle count to lessen the issue.

What are you suggesting? The problem is in vanilla, so said clipping would be vanilla, so a mod would have to be made to fix the problem.

Yes.

I haven't tried these, but here are some fog-related mods that may help this issue:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4298

Interior Floating Fog Remover

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/7397

Dimmer Fog and More

Those mods aren't going to work here.

That is clipping with hand placed effects. Move the mist/fog up a bit and the issue will be resolved.

In the first video, that specific spot has 3-4 lightbulbs, 3-4 hand placed fog effects, 2 (i think) glow effects, and dust effects coming from the ceiling. It's a very heavy spot in Helgen cave with these effects overlapping causing the issues.

Ah. And there comes all the incompatibilities I mentioned with fixing the issue. It would be a good mod, however. Do you experience it on your Nvidia card, Tech? For kicks, I plugged in the Creation Kit and I was looking at the issue I have in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. Changed multiple effects (it really is hard to see the effects, since they don't show up in the render window). Figured out that if I move the waterfall splashes Z down to negative infinity, the issue is removed.  ::P: Of course that's just a brute force hack lol and looks weird. However, I couldn't seem to locate the specific fog effect, as there were a ton of them (I'm a newb when it come to the CK), and it's time for bed.

2020-04-26-21-29.png

Ah. And there comes all the incompatibilities I mentioned with fixing the issue. It would be a good mod, however. Do you experience it on your Nvidia card, Tech? For kicks, I plugged in the Creation Kit and I was looking at the issue I have in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. Changed multiple effects (it really is hard to see the effects, since they don't show up in the render window). Figured out that if I move the waterfall splashes Z down to negative infinity, the issue is removed.  ::P: Of course that's just a brute force hack lol and looks weird. However, I couldn't seem to locate the specific fog effect, as there were a ton of them (I'm a newb when it come to the CK), and it's time for bed.

2020-04-26-21-29.png

I do experience it. I did on my GTX 760 and I do on my GTX 1060. The only reason I know about it all is due to my work with Relighting Skyrim and having to mess with Helgen's lighting. I've already started my own lighting and effects mod that has these issues dealt with. For some reason when one of the mist/fog effect clips with other effect (especially water effects) it causes the flickering. You can try to assign the fog an emittance, which really helps to negate the issue. However, in some cases the objects just have to be moved so they're not clipping.