STEP Skyrim SE Guide v0.3.0b - Official Bug Reports

I found a few things that may be relevant:

1. In the SSE Engine Fixes special instructions, part 2 refers to an EngineFixes.ini. Unless I did something wrong, it appears this is now called EngineFixes.toml.
  2. I didn't see Wet and Cold in the install list, but I also didn't find anything that says there was a decision to remove it (e.g., incompatibility or redundancy with AI Overhaul SSE); I see the notes for AI Overhaul SSE says that it includes weather behavior for all individuals, but also says it is compatible with Wet and Cold.  Just pointing this out in case the omission was unintentional.
  3. Installing Cathedral Weathers for those that take the optional weathers route appears to overwrite Night Skies and Smooth Sky mesh.  I'm assuming this is fine, but if not there would need to be instructions either to change the load order or hide files (or I might have missed these instructions).
  4. The HD Road Signs patches for Cutting Room Floor and Point the Way are currently overwritten based on install order... I'm assuming there should be instructions for this, such as to change the load order and move the patches down with the other patches (or maybe this is already there and I just missed it).  
Edited by obrother

Going through the instruction in the guide for SSELODGen, when launching via MO2 it picked up my Fallout 4 install and gave error message on first run after install.

To get it to work for SkyrimSE I added 

-sse

in the Arguments window via MO2 edit window. Maybe worth adding as a game specific note.

Edited by Moonraker

Related to previous post for SSELODGen;

2. Having run the tool on completion there was no output in the xLODGen_Output folder previously created in the xLODGen folder.
The output went directly into Overwrite. I just moved the generated folders into the Step Skyrim SE - xLODGen Output empty mod previously created.

Not sure what step is required to point generated files to the created folder from instructions. Should work anyhow.

2. Having run the tool on completion there was no output in the xLODGen_Output folder previously created in the xLODGen folder.

The output went directly into Overwrite. I just moved the generated folders into the Step Skyrim SE - xLODGen Output empty mod previously created.

Not sure what step is required to point generated files to the created folder from instructions. Should work anyhow.

Seems like you missed something during Tool Setup. You need to configure the launcher arguments as shown in the table.

But keep in mind that the output folder argument path will need changing even if you're using the exact folder layout indicated by the guide.

If you're using the folder layout indicated by the guide, it needs to be changed because the indicated path is invalid. The output path indicated by the table is

"C:\Modding\xLODGen\xLODGen_Output\"

but it should be

"C:\Modding\Tools\xLODGen\xLODGen_Output\"

So if you are following the folder layout indicated by the guide, you need to put this in the Arguments field for the SSELODGen launcher:

-lodgen -sse -o:"C:\Modding\Tools\xLODGen\xLODGen_Output\"

-----

If you're not using the folder layout indicated by the guide, then hopefully you know the appropriate path to specify. :;):

Edited by alphaniner

1. A few days ago, BethINI was updated to V3.5. What's your recommendation for Screen Space Reflections and Resolution Divider?

2. Something I found quite odd in your STEP Guide was the "(optional) ENBSeries" part. Most of the guide is precise and that is a good thing. Please don't use phrases like "The Guide doesn't include an ENB preset for reason that should be obvious". Many of us aren't experts in modding and just want the best first time experience for Skyrim and STEP surely provides that.

As for myself, your sentence could have meant 2 things: ENB presets aren't close to vanilla anymore or ENB is too demanding on the hardware.

Reading your "Guide:ENB" however left me with the impression that ENBoost could even optimise hardware usage. And wouldn't it be in line with the STEP Mandate to use ENB/ENBoost with the least demanding and closest to vanilla settings?

3. One last question regarding compatibility: As I understand it ENBoost is installed in the game directory and not separated from it like STEP. Does it alter settings that BethINI already altered and do I have to keep an eye on which I run/set up last?
Edited by Tungdil2

1. No recommendation other than follow the preset value. You can play with it. Just be aware that it can significantly impact performance.

2. Most people already have a particular ENB preset/setup that they use. This is why it is considered optional, because the STEP guide does not seek to only be used with one particular preset, or with one at all, so that can be left up to the user. And yes, performance is a big factor, as even the strongest hardware can be brought to its knees by ENB.

3. There is no interaction between the ENB files and BethINI for SSE.

• A few days ago, BethINI was updated to V3.5. What's your recommendation for Screen Space Reflections and Resolution Divider?

• Something I found quite odd in your STEP Guide was the "(optional) ENBSeries" part. Most of the guide is precise and that is a good thing. Please don't use phrases like "The Guide doesn't include an ENB preset for reason that should be obvious". Many of us aren't experts in modding and just want the best first time experience for Skyrim and STEP surely provides that.

As for myself, your sentence could have meant 2 things: ENB presets aren't close to vanilla anymore or ENB is too demanding on the hardware.

Reading your "Guide:ENB" however left me with the impression that ENBoost could even optimise hardware usage. And wouldn't it be in line with the STEP Mandate to use ENB/ENBoost with the least demanding and closest to vanilla settings?

• One last question regarding compatibility: As I understand it ENBoost is installed in the game directory and not separated from it like STEP. Does it alter settings that BethINI already altered and do I have to keep an eye on which I run/set up last?

To follow up on top of DY,

1. Yeah, no recommendations. SSR can cause some issues with water so be aware of that.

2. DY is correct. There is no recommendations because ENB is too much of a personal preference. That is the "obvious" portion of that statement. It's hard for a Guide that is used by so many to enforce a specific ENB because users will just end up changing it to one they like better anyway.

As for ENBoost, you don't need it. I don't think it's even a thing for SE. If you want an alternative memory manager (for whatever reason) use the one included with SSE Engine Fixes.

As for ENBoost, you don't need it. I don't think it's even a thing for SE. If you want an alternative memory manager (for whatever reason) use the one included with SSE Engine Fixes.

I'm not sure that it's even necessary for Skyrim Special Edition. As I recall the primary purpose of ENBoost was to offload some memory outside the 32-bit Skyrim Legendary Edition process due to the 3GB or 4GB limit on memory available to a 32-bit process. Skyrim Special Edition is a 64-bit process so this limit is no longer present.

I'm not sure that it's even necessary for Skyrim Special Edition. As I recall the primary purpose of ENBoost was to offload some memory outside the 32-bit Skyrim Legendary Edition process due to the 3GB or 4GB limit on memory available to a 32-bit process. Skyrim Special Edition is a 64-bit process so this limit is no longer present.

Exactly. ENBoost was just a memory manager that spawned additional EXE instances to hold data over 4GBs. It was a hacky cheat, but worked. It's not needed for SE and I don't think it even exists for ENB SE. I've ran into users trying to use ENBoost from Skyrim LE....like... :ermm: errm...okay, lets not do that. SSE Engine Fixes does have an alternative manager, if those having issues for whatever reason.

Thanks for your immediate help, but I am still a little bit confused on how to get an ENB preset to work. Could it be that https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB is a little out of date? It states "Extract d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe from the 'WrapperVersion'", but in the current v0.427 none of these exist (only a d3d11.dll)

The readme_en.txt from the wrapper file says "Extract files from WrapperVersion to your game folder, where game execution file exist.".

Some Youtube Videos tell me to just move only the dll-files into my game directory.

The Lucid ENB, which I wanted to try only says "Extract the files into your Skyrim Special Edition directory where "SkyrimSE.exe" is located." - but it contains an enblocal.ini which your guide explicitly warns me about.

I guess for removing an ENB preset, I guess it's best to just create a backup of my skyrim main folder before moving all these preset files inside?

Thanks for your immediate help, but I am still a little bit confused on how to get an ENB preset to work. Could it be that https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB is a little out of date? It states "Extract d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe from the 'WrapperVersion'", but in the current v0.427 none of these exist (only a d3d11.dll)

The readme_en.txt from the wrapper file says "Extract files from WrapperVersion to your game folder, where game execution file exist.".

Some Youtube Videos tell me to just move only the dll-files into my game directory.

The Lucid ENB, which I wanted to try only says "Extract the files into your Skyrim Special Edition directory where "SkyrimSE.exe" is located." - but it contains an enblocal.ini which your guide explicitly warns me about.

I guess for removing an ENB preset, I guess it's best to just create a backup of my skyrim main folder before moving all these preset files inside?

The guide you link to seem to be for all versions of ENBSeries. The "enbhost.exe"-file is not in ENBSeries for SSE.

For Skyrim SE you copy from the WrapperVersion folder only "d3dll.dll" and "d3dcompiler_46e.dll" and drop those in the Skyrim SE game folder. DONE!

After that you can install the preset you like. (the preset normaly have the files "enblocal.ini" and "enbseries.ini" and folder "enbseries" and sometimes folder "enbcache")

You simply extract those files and folders from the preset and drop them in Skyrim SE gamefolder... DONE!

To change preset: Let the new overwrite the old

To uninstall preset: Delete the files "enblocal.ini" and "enbseries.ini" and the folders "enbseries" and "enbcache"

To uninstall ENBSeries: Delete "d3dll.dll" and "d3dcompiler_46e.dll"

To update any of above: Let the new files overwrite

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, the mod author of Immersive Spectal Assassin (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27051), which is required for the STEP CR patch, hid all of his files. After messaging him, he offered to un-hide this mod for now for STEP users. However, it sounds like he is rewriting this mod (along with all of his others) and plans to hide this version again.

I'm new to the STEP community, but you might want to consider removing this mod from the guide and the CR patch, for stability's sake. At least until the rewritten mod is available to be incorporated.

Edited by DualityShift

I did update the instructions a bit to clarify some things, but these things were and are part of the guide instructions. See the Tool Setup and table following.