Puddles in Windhelm

rootsrat

Question

The quality of water puddles on the ground in Windhelm market is terrible. They are very pixelated and look very bad. Has anyone else experienced that? The only texture mods I use are STEP 2.2.1 ones. I am at work now so unable to produce screenshots, but I'll post them later on when I'm back home. They DO look bad though, to the point, that if someone else had the same problem, they would know definitely what I'm talking about.

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I loaded up your ESP and those WaterPuddle* objects definitely look better than the puddle decals. I really appreciate you allowing me to use that in my mod. Would you mind if I combined your edits and my edits into a single ESP, just so anyone downloading doesn't have to load 2 separate plugins? I would of course give you full credit for your edits.

IMO, I think the Windhelm area may be the only place where moving water puddles would look better as ice, which is what I've tried to do in my mod. So that may be the only change I personally would make. I'm getting much closer to what I envisioned for the ice and here is an in-progress sample, but still needs some work:

Windhelm Ice Decal

That is actually a new decal I created and so far I'm only working on a large version at this time. I'll also create some medium and small versions that have a slightly different look, so these can be placed anywhere and I think adds to the realism that Windhelm is a cold/icy place.  

Once I finish my ice textures, I'll take your idea of using the WaterPuddle* objects and will incorporate more of those throughout Skyrim, wherever it may make sense.

Thanks again for the ESP and your efforts!

You can use my ESP however you want. Merging it into yours is a good plan.

That Windhelm Ice decals looks nice! Good work on that. I agree Windhelm could use icy puddles, not watery.

One thing to keep in mind with decals too...is they apply to whatever is above them too. You'll note by default in Windhelm the decal "splashes" over to on top of the barrels and crates which is extremely unrealistic. So this is another concern with decals. Don't ever place them under objects. Hence another reason why decals aren't recommended, but for a few places like your Windhelm screenshot it looks good.

SparrowPrince will probably include some variant of this in a WATER update, FYI. Although if you keep working at this, perhaps he should either recommend your mod or you to work together on it.

@Brumbek

Thanks again for letting me use your ESP. :thumbsup:

I just updated my mod with our edits combined and it also has my new ice puddle textures for Windhelm. It took fooooorreeeeveerrr trying to get those textures looking good and I suck at it, especially the normal maps. But I did the best I could for now and may try to improve them once I learn how to do that kind of thing better.

@all

Hope you like the results so far! :)

Just wanted to give you a heads up, PCG4m3r, your mod (current version 1.0 from the Nexus, filesize 20,048 bytes, modified date ‎20 ‎March ‎2013, â€â€Ž04:22:20) shows as having 25 ITM dirty edits in TESVEdit. I downloaded the 2048 version and haven't checked the others, but I assume it's the same .esp in each.  

Just wanted to give you a heads up PCG4m3r, your mod (current version 1.0 from the Nexus, filesize 20,048 bytes, modified date â€Ž20 ‎March ‎2013, â€â€Ž04:22:20) shows as having 25 ITM dirty edits in TESVEdit. I downloaded the 2048 version and haven't checked the others, but I assume it's the same .esp in each.

Thanks for letting me know Kal. I had cleaned all ITMs/UDRs before I uploaded, but that was with Skyrim and Creation Kit 1.8.151.0. I wonder if the differences now are due to patch 1.9. 

And you're correct, the ESP is the same for all files, but only differ in texture sizes.

I'm going through it now to clean up and also integrate changes made by DLCs and Unofficial patches. I hope to have the mod updated (version 1.1) by tomorrow at the latest.