• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joaron7

joaron7

Watcher

• Watcher
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:38 PM

I looked around the forums and found nothing (many skyrim modding guides seem to have discords), so does STEP intends to create one in the future?

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,828 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:08 PM

We already have one. It's just not a public one, atm. We do plan on opening it up to the public, possibly with the launch of our forum update.

#3 joaron7

joaron7

Watcher

• Watcher
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:56 PM

Sounds good, hope you guys manage to complete that forum update soon.

#4 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:54 PM

Waiting on Mediawiki 1.35 ... sometime in August. Then it will be a lot of work on the backend getting that working. Probably September-ish for forum update IF they actually release MW 1.35 in August.

Even then, Discord is largely redundant with forums, and the info on past resolutions is harder to find than on the forums, IMO.

#5 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Uber Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:49 AM

Discord servers are much easier to search than the forums.

Main thing I dislike about them is that users cannot find the solution to their problems on Google.

#6 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrator
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:06 PM

I guess it's subjective then. Another problem is that we don't own or ultimately control Discord info. I like the idea of STEP Discord channels for general discussion and hangouts, but for solutions and informative posts, it's not as reliable IMO. Googling is one issue, but so is linking to a specific post from anywhere else. Anyone can see such a post if it's on the forums. With Discord, I think you would need to join the channel and all that. Then there is the problem of longevity and reliability of the info ... call me skeptical, I guess.

It seems redundant to use both Discord and the forums. Just that much more work to support yet another venue.

#7 joaron7

joaron7

Watcher

• Watcher
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:35 PM

I agree that forums do have certain advantages, but discord is also an easy place to share screenshots maybe it would be a good ideia for STEP to have a section for users to share and discuss screenshots.

#8 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,828 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, the public discord will only be used for general chat and possible quick general support. All of STEP support will still be handled on the forums. Our discord will more or less just be a hangout. However, staff will likely used it for our purposes more than the hangout. It's very handy to coordinate releases, dev work, etc. when there is more than one person doing things at once.

#9 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrator
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:54 PM

Yeah, the public discord will only be used for general chat and possible quick general support. All of STEP support will still be handled on the forums. Our discord will more or less just be a hangout. However, staff will likely used it for our purposes more than the hangout. It's very handy to coordinate releases, dev work, etc. when there is more than one person doing things at once.

Agreed. Discord is the better option for gen discussion and real-time events.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users