Hearthfire Extended (by Kinaga)

TechAngel85

• 1 month later...

I've tossed this into the new game I started yesterday for testing. I'm using the Windstad Manor location since I've never used that location before. As for patches, I wouldn't worry about it. None of the conflicts are really going to matter. Just LOOT sort it.

So far no issues. Most the issues users have reported are with the basements and I haven't gotten to that point in building yet. ...thinking about using the console to give myself the materials needed for building it out, just for testing. I'm not planning to actually use the home during my playthrough. I prefer to just install a player house mod instead, since they tend to provide better homes. I currently use my Dragon Cliff Manor mod so that I can discover ways to improve upon it while playing.  ^_^

I'm curious if someone is or is planning on testing the Lakeview Manor location because Oakwood is in the same area, so there could be some conflicts in that area.

So I went ahead and did just that (above) to finish out the house and hire all the servants. Immediately, I had an issue...not enough beds. Two NPCs took up the two children's beds and the rest just stood in the front on them because they were occupied. I'm unsure if building the additional bedroom would add enough beds for all the additional NPCs and adopted children, since once you've built the manor you can't go back and remodel (which would be a good feature for this mod to add). I might build Lakeview to test the additional bedroom.

Another issue was one horker display couldn't be built in the extended cellar section. My followers didn't seem to have any issues running around so the navmaps seem to be okay in the cellar. I know that was one report I had read, but I had no such issues. The last thing I noticed is some of the dialogue with the added Bard NPC doesn't "auto-close" when the conversation is done. You have to tab out of the menu, but the NPC still completes the request.

Those are findings so far.

Lakeview Manor has four twin beds upstairs plus the two twin beds for adoptable children and the queen size bed in the master bedroom downstairs if you build the full house. I usually build Lakeview Manor as a test house, but I never use use it because it's not really all that flexible as you note and it's not really in a kid-friendly neighborhood. I don't recall ever having more than a guard and a steward as staff, though. I know there is an option to hire a bard, but I've never elected to do so because I don't want that noise in my house. ::D:

The first time I built Lakeview Manor, I included the library and immediately wished I had picked something more useful. I would be nice to have the option to tear down a room and rebuild it as something else, but player home mods are usually a better choice overall.

Lakeview Manor has four twin beds upstairs plus the two twin beds for adoptable children and the queen size bed in the master bedroom downstairs if you build the full house. I usually build Lakeview Manor as a test house, but I never use use it because it's not really all that flexible as you note and it's not really in a kid-friendly neighborhood. I don't recall ever having more than a guard and a steward as staff, though. I know there is an option to hire a bard, but I've never elected to do so because I don't want that noise in my house. ::D:

The first time I built Lakeview Manor, I included the library and immediately wished I had picked something more useful. I would be nice to have the option to tear down a room and rebuild it as something else, but player home mods are usually a better choice overall.

So those beds must be with the extra bedroom? I'm pretty sure the houses are just copies of each other. I built the kitchen, alchemy lab, "greenhouse", and I remodeled the entryway (which removes the bed). This only results in the two single beds for the kids and one double for you and spouse, both upstairs. The extra NPCs will use the two single beds. With all hired staff, you can have up to 9 NPCs in the house:

• 9 NPCs - the two kids should only use their beds because they'll be the only ones assigned as children's beds
  • 7 NPCs - your spouse will share your bed
  • 6 NPCs - if only 4 more beds are added by the bedroom, at least two NPCs will be without beds, if you choose to remodel the entryway. If you don't, then all NPCs should have a place to sleep (as long as the bed in the entryway isn't set for player/spouse use only).
    • The remaining NPCs are the housecarl, bard, chef, laborer, and two guards.

BTW, a review of the NPCs... the two Guard have no dialogue. They're unique, but are basically dummy NPCs that simply guard the area. The bard seems to be a normal bard with options to change music and instrument. The chef will give you food, but it's been reported that he never actually uses the idles in the kitchen so never actually cooks (I've not tested this yet). I haven't experienced the carriage driver yet. The laborer only has one set of conversation and that is for him to build things for you. This NPC is basically useless once the house is built, from what I can tell (I haven't investigated if you can dismiss the NPCs or not but if so, that would solve one missing bed issue).

I have the Lakeview property now. I'll do a different build to experience a different setup and check the compatibility with Oakwood

Yes, this is with the bedroom option on one of the wings. The bedroom provides a queen bed for you and your spouse and two twin beds for adopted children. This basically provides 6 twin beds and 1 queen bed, so you're still limited to 8 people sleeping at one time.

I did have a carriage driver in one build years ago. I seem to recall the carriage is in front of the house (between the house and stable), but I don't remember if the carriage driver ever came into the house at night. At one point years ago I had a spouse, housecarl, steward, bard, and carriage driver. The housecarl mostly patrols the property during the day. I remember the steward could be given orders to go fetch stuff, but I don't remember if he just hangs around the house waiting for orders or does other things outside. I seem to recall the bard hangs around the house all day, all night.

So I built the Lakeview Manor with a different setup this time. The results were much better as far as layout and available beds, but you will never have enough beds if everyone is hired and you have two adopted children. So that issue will always remain unless the author fits in another bed somewhere.

I've confirmed the chef does actually use the idles in the kitchen and my adopted child never once got stuck in the basement. Also, the carriage driver doesn't do anything but sit in the carriage 24/7. Neither did I find any issue with Oakwood. The road is obviously covered in grass because the author doesn't wish to make landscape edits, but I honestly don't mind it. The road both goes down to the main road, just before Oakwood, or connects with the Oakwood road to travel into town. Having Oakwood right below the manor feels nice and gives more interest and life to the area.

Overall, this mods adds a lot of refinement in the building of the house while adding some nice additional features. Users really need to know the options available and plan out their house before building, though. Since you can't remodal anything but the small house into an entryway, you'll be stuck is the options you build...incorrect options can lead to lack of beds. However, with that said, I didn't see anything that would hold it back from being added to the Guide. The mod could simply be rounded out a bit more.

On that note, I'd really like to see the carriage driver and guard NPCs have some more interaction. All the NPCs could use some fine tuning and expansion. A feature to remodel sections of the house after building would probably the most useful feature that could be added. Finally, adding a small servant's quarters building outside or to the extended basement would solve some of the overcrowding of the manor when it is fully occupied. All this said, these are not small tasks to do so I wouldn't expect them to be added to the mod.

I got around to building Lakeview Manor today as well and it seems to integrate into Oakwood very pleasantly. I actually like the grass in the road leading into Oakwood because it seems to indicate the road isn't used much... at least this was my initial impression walking down the road to Oakwoood.

I built the kitchen, master bedroom and storage room and see I was sadly mistaken about the bed layout. It actually has two twin beds on one side and a queen bed on the other side of the house. I could have sworn it had four twin beds upstairs so either I'm confusing it with another player-built home with a slightly different layout or my mind is mush.

• 4 months later...