Superior Chaurus - 4k Retexture (by Shoyguer)

TechAngel85

Discussion topic:

Superior Chaurus - 4k Retexture by Shoyguer

Wiki Link

STEP SE Notes:

Test Files: Test against current STEP SE (AMB, 2k - chaurus only; Skyrim Redesigned - eggs - diffuse + glow maps). This mod provides a retex of all chaurus-related textures (e.g., eggs, egg sacks, etc.), so everything 'chaurus' should be checked for improvement/consistency among these three mods.

Spoiler

Vanilla > STEP > Superior Chaurus

Superior, overall, returns the creatures to a more vanilla color palette while being about the same quality. Since these creatures are only found in dark interiors, I spawned them in daylight to be able to grab usable shots.

These first two are from the brightest "natural" interior I could find for the nests. Superior is better; brighter and adds more detail.

STEP-SE180.pngSTEP-SE145.pngSTEP-SE161.png

STEP-SE181.pngSTEP-SE146.pngSTEP-SE162.png

Here is have their cocoons. Superior actually is reintroducing vanilla artifacts into the texture, so not good. On the other hand, it is higher detail.

STEP-SE182.pngSTEP-SE150.pngSTEP-SE163.png

STEP-SE183.pngSTEP-SE151.pngSTEP-SE164.png

Frozen Chaurus

STEP-SE184.pngSTEP-SE154.pngSTEP-SE165.png

Hunter Fledgling

Superior looks better here.

STEP-SE185.pngSTEP-SE155.pngSTEP-SE166.png

Reaper

STEP-SE186.pngSTEP-SE156.pngSTEP-SE167.png

Hunter

Superior is better here too.

STEP-SE187.pngSTEP-SE157.pngSTEP-SE168.png

Chaurus

STEP-SE188.pngSTEP-SE158.pngSTEP-SE169.png

Looks like the vanilla compares are self evident, but testing will be complicated, since we need to compare with AMB and Skyrim Redesigned. This mod still may be beneficial if we like those mods better, because this mod provides additional chaurus-vanilla improvements beyond the others.

• 2 weeks later...

So the chaurus shot is a compare against AMB?

Very different texture. Can you add vanilla to the compares? I.e., disable AMB and SR?

Agree that this mod may be an improvement, but not sure if it's better than vanilla or SR (AMB chaurus looks good, too, but which is closer to vanilla?)

So the chaurus shot is a compare against AMB?

Very different texture. Can you add vanilla to the compares? I.e., disable AMB and SR?

Agree that this mod may be an improvement, but not sure if it's better than vanilla or SR (AMB chaurus looks good, too, but which is closer to vanilla?)

Vanilla shouldn't be needed because we've already done that compare and AMB won, but if it existed it's no longer live on the LE thread. I'll get them added... This mod is closer to vanilla, btw. AMB is a artistic deviation, but we've always used it because it looks so good. It's actually the only thing left being installed from the "CREATURES" Book of Silence file.

Vanilla compare added to OP.

Thanks ... I know that we have compared AMB to vanilla, but that was LE. It seems like any vanilla SE texture is fair game for a reevaluation if it has been enhanced (no idea if that's the case for chaurus stuff).

Outside of the banding you found, I like superior best (and also because it restores the vanilla chaurus with an improved and more vanilla friendly version. Otherwise, I think current STEP is best for all others.

• 4 months later...