Simple Children (by Tetchystar)

TechAngel85

Discussion topic:
Simple Children by Tetchystar
Wiki Link

Spoiler

Rustic Children (current STEP) > Simple Children

STEP-SE208.pngSTEP-SE215.pngSTEP-SE209.pngSTEP-SE216.pngSTEP-SE210.pngSTEP-SE217.png
STEP-SE211.pngSTEP-SE218.pngSTEP-SE212.pngSTEP-SE219.pngSTEP-SE213.pngSTEP-SE220.png
STEP-SE214.pngSTEP-SE221.png

Review:
This is the mod I was using for my personal Guide. I think it's close enough to vanilla that it can be considered for STEP and is a large improvement to the children. It actually makes the children look like the fit into the game and could grow up to be the adults we're used to seeing. It will use whatever clothing, eye, and hair textures are installed, meaning they are the same as you'd see on the adult NPCs. Rustic Clothing is included in the Guide for their outfits. Finally, the most obvious thing is that this makes children more unique. No more potato-head copies of children running around! Obviously that comes with some necessary artistic deviation, however, this is the only mod that really feels like it got it "right".

There is a bug in the mod at the moment. It is simply an error that needs to be removed from the mod due to an USSEP update. Instructions for fixing it are not any more complicated that cleaning the master files...less so, actually. Else there is a mod available that patches it until the author returns to update the mod.

Rustic Children is just textures. This goes well beyond that. I've also never liked the look of RS Children (most popular children overhaul) because they always looked like they didn't quite fit the game. RS Children really only look okay if you make large changes to the adult NPCs too. It's not a vanilla-friendly mod. Simple Children seems to fill the gap nicely.

Works for me if you have already tested. Sounds like we add this and drop Rustic?

Yes, Rustic Children would be dropped as this mod provides the textures needed. Gamwich has recently said he needs to redo that mod so I'm assuming he's not completely happy with it.

Prefer the Simple Children mod (we dont need to compare to vanilla potatoes).

In some cases i think Simple Children is abit to smooth and light skinned.

Probbelm with all face overhauls is that all characters seem to be sibblings.. but so does the vanilla.

Rustics heads are a bit to big in some cases.

• 7 months later...

Hey folks, it's been a loooooong while. I hope you're all well. I'm going through and installing STEP 1.0.0 for SE just for kicks.

There is no mention of the update file for this mod. I checked through the Nexus posts, and it does seem like it is a "new" texture update compared to the main file. I just wanted to check and see if this was an oversight, or if it was intended that users not install the update file.

Thanks in advance!

I assume its not an oversight, since the update file has existed for nearly as long as the main file. Would need to check the diff in game with/without.

If you care to do that and provide the screens, we can decide. I am inclined to include it, since the author thought it prudent, and we like the original work. It's just a textures update.

EDIT: Just took a look at the update, and it adds some variants. I think the 'dirty' option sounds right:

image.png

Sure thing, Z, I could probably get some compare shots. I'm in the middle of the guide installation, so I'll upload the shots when I'm done the guide and in a position to do so.

I only thought it might be an oversight due to the fact that the version number of the update on Nexus was the same as the main file -- which I would normally interpret to be an update to that version (not for that version).