Can't choose race on character creation

Crimson13

Question

Starting a new game I'm unable to pick a race or even make a character when the character creation menu is supposed to come up. It doesn't even come up at all; Hadvar asks me "Who are you?" and immediately he treats me as if I'm a Nord. There's no menu or hardly even a pause, just asking me and giving the Nord lines right after.

Any idea at all what could cause this? Mods are the obvious answer, the one that came to mind was RaceMenu but I'm not seeing anything on Nexus or Google saying it gives this issue.

Edit: Opening up the console and using showracemenu allows me to make my character but now I'm coming across a problem where when it's time for me to get my head lobbed off the script doesn't fire or something. I can't move my character and everyone stands around. I can still open up the console and the esc menu but nothing else.

Edited by Crimson13

1 answer to this question

It looks as if RaceMenu does not alter that sequence of events so verify SKSE is installed properly and the cleaned vanilla masters are cleaned properly. You might also verify Alternate Start: Live Another Life is installed properly if you are using it.