Photo
Skyrim SE

Daedric Quests Not Starting in Falkreath

Best Answer KLWaster , 08 November 2020 - 01:32 PM

SOLVED: @Greg, you were correct. It turns out that in fact it was the script mismatch I mentioned in my previous post, and it was baked into the save game. Unfortunately, in order for the fix to take effect you need to start a new game (so if anyone in the future runs into this, sorry, your current save is probably SOL).

In any case, after removing the script mismatch and starting a new game, Barbas appears in the correct place and Ill Met by Moonlight proceeds correctly after talking to Sinding the first time. 
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KLWaster

KLWaster

Noble

• Citizen
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

I'm having a couple of quests refuse to start or progress, strangely all in the Falkreath area. Specifically:

1. After being asked to find the dog for Lod, I go to the quest marker but Barbas isn't there. This is repeatable after multiple reloads.
  2. After talking to Mathies and Sinding, I have the Cursed Ring of Hircine but the Ill Met By Moonlight quest is not in the journal. Quest stage says it's at 0 (even though Sinding gave me the ring so I should be at stage 10 or 20) and the White Stag is also a no show.

The first problem has happened in a couple of different test playthroughs. This is the first I've seen the second problem, but that may be because I haven't been explicitly testing that quest so I just never saw it. 

Any help appreciated.

Load Order

Mod List

#2 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Uber Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:12 PM

Your load order indicates 467 line items. Please verify that you have not gone over the limit for esp plugins. You can easily find this out in Mod Organizer. Look at the Mod Index. If it has FE in front of it, it is an ESL/ESPL file, which will be fine as long as you don't have over 4096 of them. If it doesn't, look at the last one in your load order. Anything higher than 15E is over the limit. If you go over the limit, it will definitely cause weird bugs like this, because you will be overwriting records from Skyrim.esm.

#3 KLWaster

KLWaster

Noble

• Citizen
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

Hi, DoubleYou.

I am indeed using a lot of ESL/ESPL plugins. The last non-FE ID in my list is E8, and the last FE ID is FE:0E9 (neither of which should be over the limit afaik). 

#4 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Uber Moderator
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:42 AM

Does MO switch to letters after 9? If so, you're at 249 plugins, which is close, but still under 255. You haven't modified the amount of plugins during the playthrough at all?

#5 KLWaster

KLWaster

Noble

• Citizen
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:07 PM

Yes, I have changed a few plugins (trying out a few Dynamic Animation packages etc.) Nothing that has quest or dialog content though. 

Also, as mentioned, this isn't the first time I've had this. It started in a test playthrough mid-summer. At the time I thought it was due to an encounter zone mod that I subsequently dropped. That mod was never in the current playthrough, though, so it looks like it was something else. 

#6 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Uber Moderator
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

Timing is Everything modifies the timing of these types of quests. Perhaps you don't meet its timing requirements, but because of Mod conflicts, still was able to access some of the dialog relating to the quests?

#7 KLWaster

KLWaster

Noble

• Citizen
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:12 PM

I may have a lead on the problem, but still have not been able to crack it. I found that I had a mixed up install of Kryptopyr's Patch Hub that included scripts for patches that I was not using the ESP for, including ones that replace the vanilla scripts for the affected quests.
I thought that would be it, but....
I did a new, clean install of the Patch Hub without the scripts, then rolled back a few saves and tried getting the quests again. Unfortunately I still have the same behaviours.

1. After being asked to find the dog for Lod, I go to the quest marker but Barbas still isn't there.
  2. After talking to Mathies and Sinding, I have the Cursed Ring of Hircine but the Ill Met By Moonlight quest is not in the journal. Quest stage says it's at 0 (even though Sinding gave me the ring so I should be at stage 10 or 20) and the White Stag is also a no show.
It's like the dialog is all ok, and it even gives me the Cursed Ring of Hircine, but for some reason it just will not actually trigger the quests.
So, Question: if the game previously had a "bad" (or mismatched) version of a quest script, but now has a "good" version of it, will it read the "good" version or is the "bad" version somehow baked into the save? (Even though I went back to a save file from before starting either quest?) 

@DoubleYou: I checked the Wiki, and it doesn't say anything about a minimum level for either quest. Also, neither one appears in the MCM for Timing Is Everything either. 

#8 Greg

Greg

High King

• Uber Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:50 PM

If you updated the mods or patches on an existing playthrough, the scripts could be baked into the save. If this is the case, the only solution is to start a new playthough with a new character.

#9 KLWaster

KLWaster

Noble

• Citizen
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:32 PM   Best Answer

SOLVED: @Greg, you were correct. It turns out that in fact it was the script mismatch I mentioned in my previous post, and it was baked into the save game. Unfortunately, in order for the fix to take effect you need to start a new game (so if anyone in the future runs into this, sorry, your current save is probably SOL).

In any case, after removing the script mismatch and starting a new game, Barbas appears in the correct place and Ill Met by Moonlight proceeds correctly after talking to Sinding the first time. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skyrim se

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users