Template

Modlisting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,040 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:24 AM

Modlisting Template

Purpose & Usage
This template displays a stylized mod listing and instruction set/info boxes on the page. It's meant to replace the templates users are creating on their own Userspaces (which likely originated from here), as well as, replaces this template: {{Fallout4Mod}}

Template & Parameters

This is a large template with lots of parameters. See template page for implementation.

It includes a helper template to display the flags: Template:ModlistFlag

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,040 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:31 AM

It was necessary to create this template because the one that has been passed around by users is badly designed. It has too many nested calls and runs up the template call limit very quickly. This new template is optimized and standardized. It will reduce the template call limit on the page by approximately 3.6KBs per use vs the use of the other one being passed around.

Users are highly encouraged to take the time and do the work to swap out their old "modInstructions" templates for this one.

#3 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Step Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:12 AM

Wow. That's still a big template. You sure you need to have all those fancy effects? Can we add css classes to remove the large amount of custom css?

#4 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrator
  • 13,040 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:13 PM

Wow. That's still a big template. You sure you need to have all those fancy effects? Can we add css classes to remove the large amount of custom css?

Yeah, it's all required and is big because I merged 3-4 templates into one. Might be big, but it's more optimized. We'll be moving some of the CSS off to the site's CSS for all the template we want to retain formatting control over, but that will be with the wiki update. Right now, I'm not even sure this template will stay or not. We're hoping to be able to have users use the same structure we use for the STEP Guides for their own guides. They'd just have to manage and maintain mod pages. It's more work than slapping a template on the page, but templates weren't meant for mass use like this one is designed for. The STEP Guide is less taxing than most of the user guides using the old template that this one replaces...so yeah, very inefficient. At least this new one will cut back on the calls...3.6KBs per call is a large reduction when there are dozens and dozens of these template calls on a single page. Haha!

#5 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Step Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:27 PM

I hear you on the call limit. I remember it was a bear when I was developing the FOMOD templates.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: template

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users