new z-fighting lod texture flickering issues / mitigation advice?

Soulmancer

Question

Hello sir,  these are my current Dyndolod settings:  High preset with these following options enabled.  http://icecream.me/uploads/ac7743c3a4639873361c5c648854e980.png

I don't recall having this issue prior but since regenerating my texgen and dyndolod I am encountering increased z-fighting / texture flickering on object lods.

I am using the newest version of HD Lod SE 9.3 Dyndolod version.  I also using Noble Skyrim to match the lods.  The noble textures and HD lods in question are not being overwritten by any other mod assets.

I have recently changed my snow textures though.  I was using Cathedral Landcapes, now using Majestic Landscapes if that could have anything to do with it?  I have also switched from Majestic Mountains to Northfire Mountains... I have ran texgen/dyndolod since doing that although I have not yet re-created my terrain lods via xlodgen if that could be a contributing factor.

Looking toward bleakfalls barrow and the bandit tower next to it..  I am just standing still and the top of the tower and back end of bleak falls ruins is flickering. 

It looks like snow on the upper half/roof of the tower is fighting with the stone surface... once I reach the tower though the snow seems to vanish completely. 

snow on the top of the tower: https://i.imgur.com/18Yxg3m.jpg

snow clipping into the tower structure: https://i.imgur.com/qEf0IfP.jpg

Then once you get even closer, the snow is gone entirely.

Cathedral landscape is terrain LOD. Terrain LOD textures are generated from the full landscape textures in textures/landscape/*.dds. Cathedral landscape has special full landscape textures that fake grass for terrain LOD texture generation. Naturally those textures are not supposed to be used in the game.

Where do you find official instructions for Majestic Mountains that say the object LOD meshes or textures should be disabled after LOD generation?

Stuff in meshes/lod/ and textures/lod/ are used for object LOD generation and should typically not be disabled.

We call those textures single/miniatlas object LOD textures (which is what TexGen updates) that are combined onto the object LOD texture atlasses.

Edited by sheson

I believe that file is the MM lods specificly for xLodgen...  You wont want those at all if you plan on using dyndlolod.  there are specific MM lod files for dyndolod.  Use those instead.  They are available in the MM file section.

as well a lot of mods seem guilty of this large ref overwrite.  I prolly see about 50 mods in my load order that prompt warnings of large ref overwrites.  I'd almost ESM my entire load order but the issue is ESM's flagged as ESL's can cause issues if they have new cells that any mod or patch below it overwrites.