Terrain Bump - Texture Pack (by SparrowPrince)

z929669

You would probably installed it in Section G so the normals get picked up. I think these are uncompressed textures which might have some benefit for normals in DX9' date=' since DXT compression is terrible for normals. It would nice if we had access to DC5, I'm not totally sure, but I think DX10 is the when support for DC4/5 started.

Do you mean BC5?

"The BC5 format, otherwise known as 3Dc or DXN is not supported on all platforms- only DirectX 10, Xbox 360 and also under DirectX 9 on ATI graphic cards. For the normal's X and Y vectors it uses a 4 bit-per-pixel block compression scheme similar to that of the alpha channel on DXT5, meaning the channels are independent of each other. This gives a much less blocky result with the same memory footprint as DXT5. Like the uncompressed format, the Z is derived in the pixel shader."

I have put some GIF comparisons in the description. The terrain lighting is hard to work with in this engine (probably not being updated like most things). The normals just don't really show up past 10am (then come back about 3pm) but I suppose this is how the lighting works. The thing is; trying to find the right balance... If I make them look too detailed, they look odd so I have to tone them down (If I tone them down they can look weak ect). Also, creating normals by hand from Bethesda's default colour textures can hinder the end result. I'm sure their original files were much higher resolution and not compressed. I find I have to smooth them slightly, which can take away detail too.

It's quite a headache of a mod which is why I think I can't (want;)) do much more to it.

That's okay, I was trying to back you up anyway (as you were pretty much spot on).

For anyone who is interested in differences (and where I quoted from) go HERE

First picture is what Bethesda usually uses, the second picture is in this mod, and the third is what me and Ess are on about. Yes, I wish this game wouldn't

use oldskool DX.

please download the Nexus Main File in support of STEP here on the Nexus. 

Done and done. Shame I can't endorse it again :)

Great work guys, well done & congrats! Was using 2.2.1 for about a week now, it's really good! Now if we can find a mod to fix those horrible paddles in Windhelm it would be perfect :)

Anyway - why am I unable to vote it for Mod of The Month?

That would be Terrain Bump, and it could be coming soon. That is one of the textures that the mod specifically addresses

Great work guys, well done & congrats! Was using 2.2.1 for about a week now, it's really good! Now if we can find a mod to fix those horrible paddles in Windhelm it would be perfect :)

That would be Terrain Bump, and it could be coming soon. That is one of the textures that the mod specifically addresses
you sure? I know for a fact that in the current version of terrain bump there is no normal for the puddle. There is one however in WATER, another mod originally created by OpticShooter. I think he moved it there because he originally intended to make city packs with reworked and uncompressed normals and the ice puddle only exists in windhelm. So he moved it over to WATER for the time being.

you sure? I know for a fact that in the current version of terrain bump there is no normal for the puddle. There is one however in WATER, another mod originally created by OpticShooter. I think he moved it there because he originally intended to make city packs with reworked and uncompressed normals and the ice puddle only exists in windhelm. So he moved it over to WATER for the time being.
Hmmm, I believe you, but the description features a pic of the Windhelm puddle before/after ...

Hmmm, I believe you, but the description features a pic of the Windhelm puddle before/after ...
The mod description is more or less abandoned...

Thanks Farlo.

Everyone:

The puddle artefacts are fixed in WATER or I would not have included the texture. The puddle texture has always been in WATER long before Terrain Bump. The terrain bump images are examples of compression vs none compression. It doesn't specifically relate to the textures included.