Terrain Bump - Texture Pack (by SparrowPrince)

z929669

Thanks Farlo.

Everyone:

The puddle artefacts are fixed in WATER or I would not have included the texture. The puddle texture has always been in WATER long before Terrain Bump. The terrain bump images are examples of compression vs none compression. It doesn't specifically relate to the textures included.

Hey Sparrow:

Would you please do me the favor and go to Windhelm market and have a look at those puddles? They are not fixed for some weird reason. I can tell all of the other puddles in Windhelm look fine using WATER, but not those 3. For reference I'ld like you to read through this stub I had created: https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1443244-windhelm-market-ice-puddle-issue/

@Sparrow

I'm wondering if you prefer using That's Ice over top of Terrain Bump or vice versa. I've tried it both ways and kinda like the way That's Ice is a little less reflective, but Terrain Bump does give really noticeable depth to the ice in game, looks good when walking up to larger areas with big icy walls.

We'll need some comparison screens for diverse landscapes. I may be able to get to this myself.

I think that this one should be tested with, at minimum, all of STEP through Section G except HD Enhanced Terrain and Distant Detail.

I will be looking at the native version of the mod as well as the R5G6B5 compressed version as recommended by Ethatron in the OP of the DDSopt thread (near top). Reduces the texture size by 50% with minimal loss (at least that is shat we shall determine).

The gallery compare is ready. It turns out that Distant Detail adds nothing at all noticeable in any of these screens.

I think Terrain Bump does add a very noticeable and respectable improvement. It is also evident that Enhanced Terrain (1k in these screens) does a tiny bit to add more "oomph" to the landscape. Furthermore, these tangent-space normal maps can indeed be compressed (R5G6B5) to reduce the size of the textures by half without any noticeable quality loss.

Looks like a mod that is certainly worth including. Based on this, I wonder how many of the normal maps from the major terrain mods can be done with R5G5B5 vs. DirectX compression.

Distant Detail adds placed objects vs. normal maps. Are there situations in which Distant Detail will either complement Terrain Bump or provide useful detail when Terrain Bump doesn't? It doesn't provide much in the example you showed.

What about the close up shots of rocks and ice? doesn't this mod change those too? The ice normal is the one of this mod I'm not that crazy about. From a distant though' date=' this setup is really great.[/quote']

Not sure about the ice normal, but we could easily adjust install order to let Real Ice overwrite.

Screens would be nice for determining this.