SSE Display Tweaks (by slavicpotato1)

TechAngel85

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why, but I had lots of havok issues with Havok Fix even with vsync on at 60Hz with an NVidia RTX 2070 Super. Stuff like plates rattling on the table when I walk into the room, or an arrow shot causing an NPC to be thrown 100 feet into a wall. Most of these issues were solved when I switched to SSE Display Tweaks.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

This one needs to be moved based on the new information. Yes, it fixes a few bugs, but it is a LOT more than that (just read the page description). It's also a DLL mod.

Totally plausible. Probably worth subjecting to the revised flowchart and defs I revised. That may help you to validate those changes.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

Updated mod page with recommendations based off my testing.

I use AMD, and my recommendations are slightly different. Like NVIDIA, it's best to enable "adaptive vsync" using AMD "Freesync" via drivers and nowhere else. Also, we should be recommending frame caps of 60 in menus and monitor refresh rate in game (144 for me) ... subtracting 1-3 frames is fine but not necessary in my experience (but it's probably prudent as general advice).

Not sure where you find that SSE Display Tweaks is better for AMD. G-SYNC and Freesync are pretty much the same thing if monitors support. Both are better (if supported) than standard vsync set in game or mods.

EDIT: also, there is no need to have vsync set anywhere else if using Adaptive Vsync methods offered by AMD (and almost certainly NVIDIA) ... at least not for Bethesda games with frame cap enabled in my XP using Radeon. I have tested this extensively, but in particular the past two years now that I have a Freesync monitor. I would not set vsync using SSE Display Tweaks, game INI, or ENB, as that breaks the "rule of one" if for nothing else than simplicity of toggling. Adaptive Vsync + frame cap is more efficient where supported as far as I have read/learned.

Besides, enabling standard vsync in addition to adaptive vsync introduces its unnecessary limitation (input lag and latency) into an otherwise great solution.

I had started making some edits but I rolled them back until I can verify with you.

I don't currently have an AMD card, so obviously I'm flying blind there, and going from my past experience with my AMD R9 380X where the driver VSync did not work at all. In my previous experience, turning off VSync everywhere and enabling it in drivers simply caused no VSync to be used. It sounds like the drivers have improved. If driver VSync works, than that is most certainly the best route, and you should change the guidance accordingly. I agree with you on the "rule of one," especially since we will need users to disable VSync in order to perform the performance check you have written in the guide.

The recommendations regarding framerate limit come from Blurbusters.com and their extensive testing on the issue. https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/5/

As for UI framerate limits, I've not really seen these as important, so you can set them all to 60 and it probably wouldn't be an issue.