Standalone LOOT launched from MO2 not sorting plugins

Sholtor

Question

I keep getting an error with both the built in and standalone LOOT with MO2, where the plugins do not run because of the following error:

[error] canonical: The system cannot find the file specified.: "G:/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition\Data\360WalkandRunPlus-RunBackwardSpeedAdjust.esp"

[error] Loot failed. Exit code was: 0x1

If I disable mod that the ESP applies to, another just takes its place. I raised this with the LOOT team, however they said the most likely cause was to do with MO2's VFS.

From some testing I did, where I ran LOOT standalone with some mods installed manually, I believe this to be the case.

The mods are working fine, however I did have to go through and manually sort my plugins, which isn't exactly quick or fun. The game launches fine and the mods display in LOOT correctly, they just won't sort because it can't find the files in the directory.

Anybody got any ideas on this issue? Any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

4 answers to this question

I've never run into an issue like this with LOOT. Mod Organizer has issues with the virtual file system if it's installed in the Steam or game folder. I seem to recall the virtual file system gets into a recursive loop attempting to virtualize e.g. C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data if it's installed anywhere in that path. You may also run into permission issues if you install Mod Organizer into any protected folders controlled by UAC such as C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). The best practice is to install Mod Organizer into it's own folder such as C:\Modding\Mod Organizer, although it can really be any drive or path you own.

Finally, browse through the right pane that shows the list of plugins (ESM and ESP files) to see if any of them have a missing master icon. I discovered quite by mistake that Mod Organizer does not include any plugins with a missing master. I don't remember if these plugins are shown in LOOT at all or if they are shown with a missing master message.

Neither my game nor MO2 are installed on C drive and from what I can see, none of the plugins are missing masters.

MO2 is installed to my D: drive and all my steam games are on my G: drive.

The mods themselves are stored on my S: drive.

D: and G: are HDDs.

S: is an SSD.

The mods were originally stored in C: drive and I moved them to S: drive.

As the game still loads the mods correctly and LOOT recognizes the plugins as installed, I would assume this is working correctly regardless of the move.

Edited by Sholtor

I do not ever recall seeing this reported.

First off always suspect your Anti-virus has quarantined the MO2 usvfs_proxy_x64.exe file in the MO2 folder. If so, restore it from the quarantine and make an exception for this file. If you update MO2 sometime in the future, you will have to do this again.

Is MO2 installed as a portable or global instance? What version of MO2 are you using, Nexus release or one of the development builds from Discord?

It may also be a pathing issue. I would look at the path tab in the settings. Make sure the “Base Directory†points to the directory where MO2 is installed and the Mods entry points to the folder where you have your mods in.

You can do an in place reset of MO2 by closing MO2 and renaming ModOrganizer.ini to another name. Run the game from Steam once and then close it down. Restart MO after you run the game and try running LOOT to see if it is fixed. You can reverse this if it does not work.