Harvest Overhaul (by Omeletter)

rpsgc

Harvest Overhaul by Omeletter

This mod lets you harvest more than one (alchemy) ingredient each time. How much more depends on the type and size of the plant/bush. It's not supposed to be unbalanced.

It also has an optional file for creatures (hunting) where they drop more meat/tusks/etc and it removes gold from their inventories (makes sense to me).

Nexus link:

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16553

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me. Assuming the balance is fine' date=' it looks like a very strong candidate.[/quote']

Balance is good as well. You don't pick Red Mountain Flowers and get 10...more like 3-5. Same goes for all the harvestable items. This makes alchemy so much more rewarding and harvesting so much more realistic. Why would you only get 1 flower when there are obviously 10-20 flowers on the bush? Why would you only get 2 snowberries when the bush is covered with them? That's what this mod balances out for alchemy users.

Before anyone confirms, I'd like to draw attention to an important fact of this mod:

This is a gameplay mod, and it must enhance some aspect of vanilla step ... but not change it unless 'it' is broken in some way. What is this mod doing? It is allowing > 1 harvest item per harvest. It also appears that the amount you harvest will never be zero. Unless there is something I am missing, this is inherently unbalancing of a not-broken system in vanilla Skyrim IMO. This sounds much more like a Pack item to me.

Balanced harvest mods modify chance of harvest by a few sensible factors rather than random probability (assuming this mod is basically random). These might include alchemy skills, race and character level. I am not a big fan of the new leveling system of Skyrim, as it is too linear. Heaping more opportunity and flooding that system with assets (e.g., this mod) seems like an exacerbation of the problem and might require some balancing acts elsewhere to compensate.

Pushing the lump down here will only cause it to pop up elsewhere ...

Before anyone confirms, I'd like to draw attention to an important fact of this mod:

This is a gameplay mod, and it must enhance some aspect of vanilla step ... but not change it unless 'it' is broken in some way. What is this mod doing? It is allowing > 1 harvest item per harvest. It also appears that the amount you harvest will never be zero. Unless there is something I am missing, this is inherently unbalancing of a not-broken system in vanilla Skyrim IMO. This sounds much more like a Pack item to me.

Balanced harvest mods modify chance of harvest by a few sensible factors rather than random probability (assuming this mod is basically random). These might include alchemy skills, race and character level. I am not a big fan of the new leveling system of Skyrim, as it is too linear. Heaping more opportunity and flooding that system with assets (e.g., this mod) seems like an exacerbation of the problem and might require some balancing acts elsewhere to compensate.

This problem is already addressed by STEP with Community Uncapper, just set the alchemy skill to 1=0.75 to slow it down by 25%, not sure of the exact header name. You can use the multipliers section to slow down or speed up any skill at any level, i.e. 50=1.1  will make alchemy skill increase by 10%. If it is already .75 then at level 50 it goes up to .825, you get it.

As for the mod itself, I like that I can get between 2-5 of some stuff like mushrooms, but with the mountain flowers it seems to give out between 7-9 flowers. That is a bit much for my tastes, but I slow down leveling quite a bit so it really doesn't make an impact.

I understand your concern about it possible leveling up alchemy faster do to the greater harvest but it would be no different if you went and searched for hours collecting the stuff. This possibly just makes alchemy "easier" to level up.

In my opinion, this mod corrects a faulty system in the game. When you look at the snowberry bush and see 20 snowberries on it but only harvest 1 or 2 berries...that is faulty and completely unrealistic. The same can be said for flowers and many other harvest-able items in-game. It corrects the realism of the harvesting feature, so...from my point of view it does enhance/fix a vanilla aspect of the game. If you harvest something (by the very definition of the word) it should never be zero.

Same goes for creatures. Take a sabertooth kitty. In vanilla sometimes you get an eye and sometimes you don't... why? They all have two eyes don't they? So you should always be able to get at least one eye when you harvest. Harvest Overhaul corrects this. It's one of those things that is just glaringly obvious to me that some may never even thing about.

I understand your concern about it possible leveling up alchemy faster do to the greater harvest but it would be no different if you went and searched for hours collecting the stuff. This possibly just makes alchemy "easier" to level up.

In my opinion, this mod corrects a faulty system in the game. When you look at the snowberry bush and see 20 snowberries on it but only harvest 1 or 2 berries...that is faulty and completely unrealistic. The same can be said for flowers and many other harvest-able items in-game. It corrects the realism of the harvesting feature, so...from my point of view it does enhance/fix a vanilla aspect of the game. If you harvest something (by the very definition of the word) it should never be zero.

Same goes for creatures. Take a sabertooth kitty. In vanilla sometimes you get an eye and sometimes you don't... why? They all have two eyes don't they? So you should always be able to get at least one eye when you harvest. Harvest Overhaul corrects this. It's one of those things that is just glaringly obvious to me that some may never even thing about.

I used this mod in the past, however I did find that it made levelling alchemy not easier, but way too easy, so I ditched it. 

I  agree it adds to immersion, however, just to answer some of your points, Techangel - say you fight a sabrecat and you slash it across it's eyes. It's dead, but there are no eyes to "harvest" - that's why sometimes there are no eyes to take. And sometimes you would like to harvest a plant, but it turns out it's rotten or sick and the flowers cannot be used in a potion. 

Realism and immersion, right? Of course it's the matter of personal preference. I like to properly role play my characters, but I also like my game to be balanced, so rather than doing this:

If you think its going to level up alchemy to fast when useing this mod you could try useing Skyrim -Community- Uncapper by Elys ( https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1175 ) and edit the INI to level it a little slower. I have been useing the uncapper mod since its release and i have to say its awesome

which I find is reverting to vanilla skyrim system but in a more complex way (harvest 1 plant & level at normal pace vs. harvest more plants and level at slower pace - it's the same thing really...), I just treat the harvested stuff as "portions", rather than the actual "counted" item.

So when I harvest a plant, I get a "portion" of flowers necessary to craft a potion. When I harvest a snowberry, I get a "handful" of them.

Also, think about it this way - with Harvest Overhaul you go to a bush and harvest 10 snowberries out of it. Yay! Great, realistic! Now you take one, ONE TINY SNOWBERRY, shove it in your mouth and you suddenly feel very weak - yay! Damage Stamina effect discovered. Hang on, you've just eaten ONE TINY SNOWBERRY and suddenly you realised it makes you feel very tired? Erm... Not so realistic, yes? But if you treat it as a "portion" (say, handful) it suddenly makes sense. You harvest a handful of snowberries, you eat them all and, yes, that MAY make you actually feel a weakened negative or positive effect. 

The game is as much fun, as YOU make it. It may work for some, it may not for others :)

I ditched this mod and I don't use it anymore, this works just fine for me.

::EDIT::

Now, when I think of it, it makes even more sense NOT to use it and do the "portions" approach. You make a potion, and you put ONE TINY SNOWBERRY (sorry, this just seems the most apparent example, as they indeed are only small berries) in the bottle to achieve the desired effect? Surely you should put more than that for the ingredient to have any noticeable effect on the potion?