Harvest Overhaul (by Omeletter)

rpsgc

I've been playing around with TES5Edit recently and learned how to change records in order to resolve conflicts.  I modified the ESPs for this mod and got it to do everything I want it to do... but then I started looking at other mods I have installed and realize that there are a LOT of conflicts that I don't feel are properly resolved just through simply using LOOT and bashed patches.  It's mainly with extra custom mods I decided to install on top of STEP... but I previously had some much more experienced modders look at my load list and they told me that it was good.  Understanding things a little better now and looking at myself - it's not.  So... I'm going to not edit any more ESPs... I'm going to actually reinstall Harvest Overhaul in order to reset the customized changes I made.  Then, I'm going to spend a few hours and create one ultimate patch plugin for my specific mod list that will resolve all conflicts that I think need work.  The range of corrections I need to make: some mods have not been updated to incorporate USKP changes, some plugins add extra keywords and such that plugins loaded after remove, incorporate the changes from other overhauls (examples: High Level Enemies needs to have its leveled lists modified to incorporate the changes from a STEP mod that makes dwarvish stuff worse than Elvish, and Elvish worse than Orcish), and then there's those mods that have nothing to do with certain things but decide to change those things anyway (like the lighting of certain areas or of certain objects - wth?  why?  that messes with my lighting mod corrections and it's the most annoying of the corrections I'm going to have to work on, because of the structure of it and the number of mods that do this kind of crap...).

Edited by oqhansoloqo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Creature module of the mod - did you ever try that out?  What I like about it is that it removes money loot from animals.  That author states that he never liked the idea of always being able to pull septims from a bear's ass (as an example).  LOL - I agree with that.  The other part of it that I like is that it makes creature loot make sense in that some of the vanilla items normally can never be looted from one of the creatures that the item is supposedly from.  Examples: with the mod installed a troll skull can actually be looted from a dead troll, spriggan sap is another one - you can actually get it from a dead spriggan, etc...  There is also an auxiliary MCM enabled option to include extra ingredients (and extra recipes) in creatures that a are not found in the vanilla game.  I do not enable that though.

I kind of consider the mod a fairly lightweight way to make creature loot make sense - so basically I find the creature module to "fix" more than the base harvest overhaul module and that is my main purpose for considering using these mods.

I too completely agree with what the mod does. It's makes harvesting far more realistic in my opinion in just about all cases. For example, you'll get 4 red mountain flowers rather than just 1 when the bush is clearly full of them and they all disappear once harvested. This mod makes harvesting make more sense. I too loved the creature module. The only downfall, is that if you don't also overhaul the Alchemy tree, then it makes alchemy far too easy in the vanilla game. That is the reason it was never included in STEP.

I have an upcoming alchemy overhaul that incorporates Harvest Overhaul.  I've factored the new harvest amounts into the "commonality" of the ingredient, which in turn will now affect the value of the ingredient, the effects, and the strength of the resulting potion.  This mod may make too many changes for inclusion in STEP, but hopefully it will provide a better balance between HO's increased realism and alchemy gameplay.

I have an upcoming alchemy overhaul that incorporates Harvest Overhaul. I've factored the new harvest amounts into the "commonality" of the ingredient, which in turn will now affect the value of the ingredient, the effects, and the strength of the resulting potion. This mod may make too many changes for inclusion in STEP, but hopefully it will provide a better balance between HO's increased realism and alchemy gameplay.

Ooh, that's great news, I'll save an ESP slot for that :)

Yep, there will be a PerMa version.  I've already been discussing it with Tascani, and there are definite plans to make it compatible with PerMa.  If anyone's interested in checking it out, there's a WIP version on Complete Crafting Overhaul's page, hidden among the Misc files.  And, yeah, I sort of suspect it will be too much for STEP, at best it would go in Extended. 

• 1 year later...