Wrye Bash Guide

z929669

Question

The Beta Wrye Bash Guide to STEP Installation is available

on THE WIKI

Based on the advice I received from users here, I will be asking TC to host on his site if he wishes. I will also host right here on the STEP wiki site when final. It is not yet final, but I will make it so once we have a fully compatible BOSS-Wrye Bash implementation to support Skyrim v1.5.

I haven't even been able to look at it yet. So much to do, so little time. :P

I've only played the game a few hours in the past few weeks, but am about to do a fresh install hopefully soon.

I'm going to install the PDF extensions and see how the results turn out. If the quality is good, I'd say the Wiki is a good candidate for at least source control, followed with having an official PDF hosted on the Nexus.

I just did a skim through. One quick comment on BCF's, I think there should be some initial up front text to explain how to get to the point of the target archive for BCF creation. Those new to WB likely won't associate that process as a requirement.

Actually, if you look at the preceding instruction, the source and destination docs are already in Bain Installers. I avoided BCF training per se and simply taught how to create a BCF in the standard workflow.

Check it out

.... but keep the comments coming. Poke holes in this thing if there are weak spots :yes:

Good going zMan :) Definately ready for beta and hopefully a flood of comments to help tweak it up.

I don't plan to re-install again until the 1.5 update has cleared and BOSS/WB get to a stable release, but will definately use this at that time - if comments are still required then I'll happily chime in again.

"(Be certain to global replace the ‘/Oblivion’ directory references to ‘/Skyrim’ and DO NOT simply do a global replace of ‘Oblivion’ with ‘Skyrim’ or you will break the INI, since certain variable names must remain unchanged even in Skyrim: e.g., ‘sOblivion=’)."

Does this mean I need to go into the .ini and just scroll through to find these locations? So the directory where I have skyrim installed is C:\Skyrim\skyrim and I have to configure the .ini to find this? Sorry I will be asking a lot of dumb questions going through this as well...this is all totally new to me. I am a civil engineer. Not an idiot, but I am not used to working on this stuff and it is a bit scary / daunting.

Ok another issue I have run into is that I am now at BAIN and explanation of what it is an what it looks like in figure 3, but I don't have any mods loaded yet so I can't follow the example...not sure if I should just skip ahead or install a mod to follow the instructions. I think I get where you are going and I will just keep reading through it.

Ok, running through the STEP I got to my first Compilers Advice item: "AOF Farmhouses". Now he has certain steps to be followed in order to properly install it. Do I follow his advice and then just repackage them into a .8zip and put them in with my other mods? Advice here would be helpful!

I haven't actually read Z's guide, because I'd already made friends with Wrye before he published. I'm sure he'll answer any specific questions about his implementation when he drops in. Don't worry about seeming silly. None of this stuff is what you'd really call complicated - but it is a daunting pile of simple things that can't be apprehended all at once.

Also, with modding in general, things often don't seem very intuitive or logical. I think that's because it's community driven, so it's more like evolution than an intelligent design, and gets messy! Asking questions is much more sensible that trying to figure it all out.

EDIT: And compared to engineering calculations (fluid dynamics anyone?) this will be a walk in the park!

Fluid dynamics...that brings back memories lol...my school had 2 classes for that, 1 for Civil Engineers and 1 for Aerospace Engineers...except no one told so I ended up taking the wrong one...somehow I passed with a B. Rocket Scientist really are that smart...that **** was crazy.

It is starting to feel more comfortable now with at least making the BAIN ready files.

@Asimov

You don't have to use the bash.ini file, but it does give you two benefits.

1) You can change the location of the "Skyrim Mods" folder, which by default is created alongside your Skyrim folder (i.e. ..\steamapps\common\Skyrim Mods).

2) There are a boat load of applications that WB recognizes and will add them to it's application launcher bar at the bottom if they are installed. By default it checks for them in C:\Program Files, but if you install any of them in a different location you can edit the variables to point to the correct path.

For replacing "Oblivion" with "Skyrim", There are only 3 variables you need to change that are at the top of the file. They are...

sOblivionMods=..\Oblivion Mods

sInstallersData=..\Oblivion Mods\BashInstallers\Bash

sBashModData=..\Oblivion Mods\Bash Mod Data

Only change the values, you need to keep sOblivionMods variable the same.

@Asimov

to add to s4n's hints RE bash.ini edits, simply change the paths, not the var names --which is what would happen if you did a global replace of "Oblivion" with "Skyrim" rather than including the forward slash in front of each (I know this because I DID IT :wallbash: ).

For Ex., I don't like to store my Bash Installers on the same drive as my Skyrim install (cuts down on disk usage and to some extent fragmentation), so I replace all:

"sOblivionMods=..\Skyrim Mods" ;FYI, the "..\" stands for "parent directory"

with

sOblivionMods=D:\MyPath\Skyrim Mods

RE the BAIN examples, this is an artifact of the constraints imposed by the document format. The examples are indented to be in a sidebar alongside or the working examples. Will be fixed in the wiki version.

Glad you are coming along!

Ok so after I changed those 3 lines, the only real change I saw was my 5 mods, Skyrim, Update, High res 1 and 2, and Bashed Patch, Skyrim all became unchecked. I had been downloading and getting all the files to BAIN ready items in the mean time, so hopefully me skipping that step till now didn't hurt anything.

Will this screw anything up since I used a Steam Mover program to move Skyrim to my SSD?