Wrye Bash Guide

z929669

Question

The Beta Wrye Bash Guide to STEP Installation is available

on THE WIKI

Based on the advice I received from users here, I will be asking TC to host on his site if he wishes. I will also host right here on the STEP wiki site when final. It is not yet final, but I will make it so once we have a fully compatible BOSS-Wrye Bash implementation to support Skyrim v1.5.

In the BAIN Installers tab of the guide, step 6 of ""Obtain the Mods" includes renaming the mods so the mod name starts with associated STEP guide section identifier. A single group of mods is all the mods that are part of one section of the STEP guide (e.g., Fixes), and if you follow the Wrye Bash guide approach all mods in that section of the STEP guide should be renamed to have the section identifier at the beginning of the mod name (e.g., the mod name would start with "D_" if the mod is in the Fixes section (2D)). When Figure 8 was created the STEP guide sections had different identifiers than they do now. We need to replace Figure 8 with an example that uses the current identifiers.

The most important thing is to assign the Wrye Bash Installation order number in such a way that when you click the Order column in the Installation Tab the mods are ordered in the same sequence as they are in the STEP guide.

Thz for the answer^^

The problem now is that Wyre Bash do not understand that 10 is after 9 xD

There is a way to make it understand that? Until now i forced the mod order manually so that the tenth file of section D (i renamed it D10-etc) is after the ninth one (D9-etc) instead of after the first one.

I just finished updating much of the WBG and figs. It goes into exactly how to get the package order correct using a combination of file naming, sorting by name and sorting by section. All sorting is based on strings, not numbers.

I too am at this exact point, and can't proceed further until I figure this out. There definitely should be instructed and mentioned a naming structure to be done BEFORE or AS one is downloading them into the mod directory, as I've had plenty of redundant, renaming work to accomplish once I finally get to the utility guides. Anyways, I've read the instructions as you noted, and it still doesn't answer the question that Fazel mentioned. I've named my mods sequentially as well, and it does exactly that, puts D_11 right after D_1 etc. The screenshot still reference a simple 'D_' prefix, and I can't see how that works when setting each group to 'o' , '1' etc, as there were mods in the STEP guide list that were specifically NOT in alphabetical order...

As I said, sorting by name sorts as string not number. If you want the name sorting to work, then instead of:

D_1...

D_11...

D_12...

You could use:

D_a...

D_b...

D_c...

But it hardly matters IMO. It should be enough that sections will sort themselves out. Then all you have to do is select all of the D_... (holding Ctrl and/or Shift) and move them (right click > Move to ...) to whatever number the first package in section D begins (it should be zero or one, unless you are using unpackaged vanilla BSAs or other optimized vanilla textures within WB).

Keep selecting each block and moving to the first position after the last of the previous section through Section M, and when you are finished, sort by the order column, and you should have all of the Sections in order for the most part. Then you can move them around (highlight, hold down Ctrl and use the arrow keys to move up/down in the order sequence).

You can spend time renaming them or ordering them, but either way, you will need to do a bit of manual sorting. Just don't forget that moving packages spatially only works if sorted by order.

It is pretty simple really.

Simple fix guys. Instead of using "1, 2, 3...10, 11, 12", always use two digits "01, 02, 03...10, 11, 12...20, 21, 22 etc". This will keep your mods in order.

What if a mod has optionals/patches/etc?

Simple again. Just add letters after the numbers. Lets use Lanterns of Skyrim for our example:

WRYE BASH INSTALLERS

--2.G Landscapes & Environment--

G 01...

G 02...

G 03...

G 14a Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main ESM for DAWNGUARD-1-3 (this is the main file to be installed first)

G 14b Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - RLO (this is the preset optional for use with RLO to be installed after the main file. Notice the lettering to keep them in order.)

Also, the formatting doesn't really matter as long as it sticks to "section/two digit install order number/optionals", so use whatever you like best. I format it as in the example above. I've edited the Wrye Bash tab on the wiki to be a little more clear on this.

Even if the STEP files are renamed so they have the correct package installation order when viewed in package name order, as additional mods are added (e.g., Skyrim Revisited mod recommendations) there will always be a need to have some non-STEP mods included in the install order between STEP mods. I personally don't rename these mods, I just assign them to the correct spot in the install order.

Even if the STEP files are renamed so they have the correct package installation order when viewed in package name order' date=' as additional mods are added (e.g., Skyrim Revisited mod recommendations) there will always be a need to have some non-STEP mods included in the install order between STEP mods. I personally don't rename these mods, I just assign them to the correct spot in the install order.[/quote']

Exactly.

I personally like to assign a Section ID as a prefix (and I manually rename (and repack) all packages according to their standardized STEP short names and my own pedantic conventions), as this makes organization a bit easier for me (both in WB and in the file system). If you use a renamer app up front, then it is pretty simple to apply a standard convention to single packages as they are updated and added to STEP.

First time user here. A question..

When installing STEP through Wrye Bash, the installer prompt tells me that it's installing the last file in the order, and then continues to install files in reverse order until it reaches the first. Is this how installation is supposed to go? If not, what am I supposed to do to fix this?

This is correct for Wrye Bash since the installer will skip the files in the lower packages that are already present in the higher packages. You can see what files exist in lower and higher packages under the installers tab their is another set of tabs on the right, look under conflicts.

Correct ... this is a matter of efficiency and speed to avoid unpacking and installing resources that will not be exposed in the end product of the installation. Remember, there are many resource conflicts among mod packages, and it makes no sense to install a resource that will be overwritten down stream. The best way to do this is to install downstream mods first and work upstream, only installing resources that are unique.