Wrye Bash Guide

z929669

Question

The Beta Wrye Bash Guide to STEP Installation is available

on THE WIKI

Based on the advice I received from users here, I will be asking TC to host on his site if he wishes. I will also host right here on the STEP wiki site when final. It is not yet final, but I will make it so once we have a fully compatible BOSS-Wrye Bash implementation to support Skyrim v1.5.

Yeah I have read it 6 or 7 times for me it's not clear, at least not that part of the guide. I know my grammar does not reflect it but I was reading before I even started kindergarten and still read 2 or 3 books a week to this day.

But I think I know why I am confused. For some reason the check box for that mod bethesda hi res optimized is red for me and even when I try and install it I don't get any kind of options menu or anything that would allow me to configure the installation at all. Which led me to believe I needed to alter the structure of the folders inside the 7zip. Which I did and still have the same issue. Oh well I will figure this out.

No, your grammar seems fine. I am actually confused about what the issue is. Since the Optimized HRDLC is already a BAIN package, there is nothing at all to do except check a few boxes and right click to install the mod. I was assuming that if you were unclear on these points, then there is not much I can say here that isn't stated much more explicitly and in much greater detail in the guide. Hence, my assumption that you did not read the guide thoroughly.

A red check box means that "Some or all of the files in the package are not installed as configured.". This probably means that you have yet to right click and install the mod from the context menu. See the General ReadMe linked to in the beginning of the guide.

Cheers

Alright, hope someone can help me.

I was following the guide on the wiki and got Wrye Bash installed (my first time).

For this step:

Edit bash.ini and replace the "\Oblivion Mods" directory references with "\Skyrim Mods" and update any other paths or settings you like, many users keep \Skyrim Mods on a different drive to conserve space and prevent fragmentation on the game drive.

I did the following:

sOblivionMods=E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods (This is where I have all my mod archives)

sInstallersData=E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods\Bash Installers\Bash

sBashModData=E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods\Bash Mod Data

which basically kept the same arrangement as the base ones but pointing at E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\

However, when I got into Wrye Bash (later in the guide, actually running Wrye Bash) there is nothing listed in the "Installers" tab? It took awhile and scanned all my currently installed files... but then I got a blank window. Only thing showing is ==Last==. Help?

Also as a note, I have been/am using NMM to do my STEP install right now. It is pointing to "E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods" to find my mods and see's them fine.

Are you certain that bash.ini is under Mopy?

Are you certain that you have mod packages under the "Bash Installers" path you are pointing to?

The only other thing could be the length of you paths or the commas in there, but that should not matter.

If you delete/rename the folders bash.ini is pointing to, are they created the next time you run WB?

Are you certain that bash.ini is under Mopy? Yes

Are you certain that you have mod packages under the "Bash Installers" path you are pointing to? Actually, they are in the E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods path (which was my intent to point WB at)

The only other thing could be the length of you paths or the commas in there, but that should not matter.

If you delete/rename the folders bash.ini is pointing to, are they created the next time you run WB? Yes

See replies above, I think the problem is the 2nd line... Do you know why WB has the base path (i.e. what does it put in there?)

sOblivionMods=E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods (This is where I have all my mod archives)

sInstallersData=E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods\Bash Installers\Bash

sBashModData=E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods\Bash Mod Data

Why there are so many directories is kinda weird to me, but then I never had used WB before. I figured I'd point it at the same directory NMM is using to store mods.

E:\Game Mods, Tools, and Patches\Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim\Mods

I've only ever changed the ..\Oblivion mods\ section to c:\games\skyrim mods\ and left the rest as default, perhaps that part is required/hardcoded?

Edit: yep bash appends bash installers to whatever is in sOblivionMods and uses that as the installers directory.

As much as I hate to do it, I might uninstall all my mods with NMM and start from scratch... (even tho I have a totally working install now) because I want the ability to make a bash patch for leveled lists when I start using content mods... Is it worth it? I'm tearing my hair out here trying to figure out what I did wrong atm. lol

Yes, "Bash Installers" will be created as will its entire adjacent and sub-directory structure.

I've only ever changed the ..\Oblivion mods\ section to c:\games\skyrim mods\ and left the rest as default' date=' perhaps that part is required/hardcoded?[/quote']

No, you can change all three (but I agree on the path length and simplicity).

RE reinstallation from scratch: As Fri says, not necessary, as WB will detect, if you want WB to track your mods and accurately report if they are installed or not (i.e., create the '+' symbols in the BAIN checkboxes), then you will need to faux install them all.

I personally prefer a clean setup managed by WB from the start, so I definitely would revert to a totally clean Skyrim install (all but save games, even INIs) and methodically start over from scratch (ahh, it feels so RIGHT just thinking about it!). :yes:

Yes' date=' "Bash Installers" will be created as will its entire adjacent and sub-directory structure.

I've only ever changed the ..\Oblivion mods\ section to c:\games\skyrim mods\ and left the rest as default, perhaps that part is required/hardcoded?

No, you can change all three (but I agree on the path length and simplicity).RE reinstallation from scratch: As Fri says, not necessary, as WB will detect, if you want WB to track your mods and accurately report if they are installed or not (i.e., create the '+' symbols in the BAIN checkboxes), then you will need to faux install them all.I personally prefer a clean setup managed by WB from the start, so I definitely would revert to a totally clean Skyrim install (all but save games, even INIs) and methodically start over from scratch (ahh, it feels so RIGHT just thinking about it!). :yes:

Thats actually what I elected to do, I reinstalled Skyrim, re-copied my optimized textures/dlc, and now I am figuring out how to get WB installed again.

I've shortened my path to E:\Gaming\Skyrim (in here is various folders containing things related to skyrim - screenshots,saves,optimized dlc, etc.)

I haven't gotten to the point yet but can someone suggest what I should name for paths? I can copy my mods into whatever directory I need to. I don't want to store my mods in my Skyrim directory but rather in this E: drive directory area.

Skyrim is installed at C:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

Thanks for putting up with my WB N00bness.

Well, I got all my mods to appear at least, now to see if I can get this thing to work. :)

Alright, I'm kinda-sorta understanding this BCF conversion file stuff... now my question is, how do I know when I need to use it... sometimes they are grey but sometimes they are not.

Edit: Argh, using WB really feels like work... lol

For grey lines look at the skipped tab for the mod (top right) and see if you care about any of the files shown there. For me most are image files and text files that skyrim doesn't need.

If there are files you need then need to find a BCF or repack as a BAIN yourself - see WB guide ion wiki.