Distant Decal Fix (by SparrowPrince)

JudgmentJay

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe this mod covers much more than just moss, which seems to be the case with the link you posted.

A post in the thread seems to contradict this....

SparrowPrince's mod and the first two lines of this mod do the same, yes.

sparrow prince fixes the problem for specific meshes (and he will extend his mod), while the tweak changes the behaviour for all decals, that get applied the same way as the moss.

in short: this mod covers everything at once, but there may be some decals where this causes issues (clipping at distance, performance loss. just to be clear: no such decals are known, so this is just a hypothetical point.)

sparrow prince's mod uses more disc space (very few though) and may extend to more issues in the future. maybe even to issues not covered by this tweak. so far this tweak does much more atm. and i find it more convenient to use. no need to update, you can adjust the distance to your liking (for whatever reason)

He may be wrong but think it warrants investigation... maybe SP can chime in with his take as well.

Interesting. If that is the case, the INI tweaks could just be added to the INI tweaks already present in STEP. I suppose a good comparison will need to be done. Though, knowing how they both work...I would be more inclined to use SP's as increasing the distance of anything usually comes coupled with a performance loss; whether that be FPS, VRAM, or both. Anything that is going to increase the FPS loss is not going to go well with my system as I'm already pushing the limit with SkyRealism installed.

Someone is saying that this can be done without meshes - is that right?

Yes it can. Going to your Skyrim.ini and changing/adding these values...

[LightingShader]

fDecalLODFadeEnd=0.5100

fDecalLODFadeStart=0.6100

...will stop the decal fade. However this will change ALL the decals to maximum distance.

This may cause problems (or a perfomance hit) and so I don't recommened it directly.

Distant Decal Fix is selective and fixes the MAIN problem areas that you will certainly notice.

Think about it this way... Bethesda did enable this on most things already (it's more likely they just

forgot to enable it on everything). This mod then, continues Bethesda's work, keeping perfomance

as originally intended. This mod was created before I knew about any .ini edits. Take your pick.

Performance hit is the same thing I mentioned as a negative for the INI tweaks as Basline STEP is already pushing 1GB card users to their limits.

Taking these words (second highlight) into consideration, SP's mod perfectly matches the STEP Mandate.

• 3 months later...

On a whim, I asked Arthmoor why he marked the mod as obsolete, but some meshes weren't covered by the USKP, he responded with this:

There's a significant portion of it which is actually broken' date=' so we list it as obsolete because the USKP only addressed what was really in need of fixing.[/quote']

As his response settles the ambiguity of this mod being in the USKP or not, I'd say we should remove this mod from STEP.

• 2 weeks later...

And, asking Arthmoor about why not all meshes from this were included in the USKP:

There's a significant portion of it which is actually broken' date=' so we list it as obsolete because the USKP only addressed what was really in need of fixing.[/quote']