Distant Decal Fix (by SparrowPrince)

mod

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

I saw this pop up on the nexus today.... at work so I can't test myself... how does it compare? https://skyrim.nexus....com/mods/32426

#17 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,975 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I do believe this mod covers much more than just moss, which seems to be the case with the link you posted.

#18 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

I do believe this mod covers much more than just moss, which seems to be the case with the link you posted.

A post in the thread seems to contradict this....

SparrowPrince's mod and the first two lines of this mod do the same, yes.
sparrow prince fixes the problem for specific meshes (and he will extend his mod), while the tweak changes the behaviour for all decals, that get applied the same way as the moss.

in short: this mod covers everything at once, but there may be some decals where this causes issues (clipping at distance, performance loss. just to be clear: no such decals are known, so this is just a hypothetical point.)

sparrow prince's mod uses more disc space (very few though) and may extend to more issues in the future. maybe even to issues not covered by this tweak. so far this tweak does much more atm. and i find it more convenient to use. no need to update, you can adjust the distance to your liking (for whatever reason)

He may be wrong but think it warrants investigation... maybe SP can chime in with his take as well.

#19 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,975 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Interesting. If that is the case, the INI tweaks could just be added to the INI tweaks already present in STEP. I suppose a good comparison will need to be done. Though, knowing how they both work...I would be more inclined to use SP's as increasing the distance of anything usually comes coupled with a performance loss; whether that be FPS, VRAM, or both. Anything that is going to increase the FPS loss is not going to go well with my system as I'm already pushing the limit with SkyRealism installed.

#20 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I will update it some more soon. Still need to get Helen done - that's next.

Lucky Helen.

#21 Winterlove

Winterlove

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Out of interest, does this mod conflict with the various parallax mods? I believe they also modify meshes.

#22 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Looks like Sparrow made some comments in his comment thread and on his description page.

#23 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,975 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Someone is saying that this can be done without meshes - is that right?

Yes it can. Going to your Skyrim.ini and changing/adding these values...

[LightingShader]
fDecalLODFadeEnd=0.5100
fDecalLODFadeStart=0.6100

...will stop the decal fade. However this will change ALL the decals to maximum distance.
This may cause problems (or a perfomance hit) and so I don't recommened it directly.
Distant Decal Fix is selective and fixes the MAIN problem areas that you will certainly notice.
Think about it this way... Bethesda did enable this on most things already (it's more likely they just
forgot to enable it on everything).
This mod then, continues Bethesda's work, keeping perfomance
as originally intended.
This mod was created before I knew about any .ini edits. Take your pick.

Performance hit is the same thing I mentioned as a negative for the INI tweaks as Basline STEP is already pushing 1GB card users to their limits.

Taking these words (second highlight) into consideration, SP's mod perfectly matches the STEP Mandate.

#24 WilliamImm

WilliamImm

Legendary Blue Dragon

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

On a whim, I asked Arthmoor why he marked the mod as obsolete, but some meshes weren't covered by the USKP, he responded with this:

[quote name=''Arthmoor']There's a significant portion of it which is actually broken' date=' so we list it as obsolete because the USKP only addressed what was really in need of fixing.[/quote']

As his response settles the ambiguity of this mod being in the USKP or not, I'd say we should remove this mod from STEP.

#25 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,975 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

If that is the case, then I second that.

#26 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,975 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

I'm challenging this mod for inclusion in STEP. The majority of the fixes are already included in the USKP making this mod obsolete.

#27 WilliamImm

WilliamImm

Legendary Blue Dragon

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

And, asking Arthmoor about why not all meshes from this were included in the USKP:

[quote name=''Arthmoor']There's a significant portion of it which is actually broken' date=' so we list it as obsolete because the USKP only addressed what was really in need of fixing.[/quote']

#28 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

Yes, let's drop it.

#29 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Sounds like the right approach.

#30 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Awesome. I'm marking this one as dropped and updating the the 2.3 changelog.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Compilation, mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users