Distant Decal Fix (by SparrowPrince)

JudgmentJay

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I see that DDF resolves the arch stonework, whereas USKP does not.

I would guess that this mod has some value still and that the USP team should do a more thorough analysis before debunking this entirely (or at least provide specific issues with this mod).

We could also add the BCF as Kelmych states, but it is tough to know if all of the USKP textures provide the decal fixes where they overlap with DDF.

I thought of the BCF only as an interim solution; it will likely be a while before the USP team looks at this. We can add to the list ones we find  that should be included, but it will take a while to go through the whole list for this mod siknce there is already a large list of mods in the current (and expanding) Mod Testing list including some with a lot of textures/meshes.

I received a reply from Arthmoor:

The STEP team is curisous as to why this is made obsolete; however' date=' 20 meshes are excluded from USKP. Our discussion on the matter starts here: [link to this thread']

If you read through to the end, you'll notice we're also confused as to what you meant by the meshes are "broken" because looking at the meshes in both Nifskope and in-game they appear to be okay. The last post provides a couple screenshots of one of these excluded meshes.

Thanks in advance!

As I recall, there were problems with lighting interaction due to some of them having incorrectly applied decal settings. The conversation took place in our chat room though so the "Arthmoor says they're broken" statement has been taken TOTALLY out of context. The exact details weren't something I understand, all I can tell you is that the two folks on the team who initially looked at that mod both agreed that we needed to do the fix work ourselves because some of it was giving off odd results when they play tested it.

Probably something similar to why we had to later scrap some of the double sided texture settings for certain creatures. They ended up wrongly handling lighting they were exposed to, creating dark patches in their fur etc.

So there you have it. I replied with thanking him and asking if the excluded meshes are planned for USKP; however, for now they aren't include for the reason he gave so it'll be up to us to decide if we wish to include Distant Decal Fix or not.

Let me get this straight because I could be wrong here... They are saying the meshes are broken, but yet won't include a fix for them in USKP? Other meshes (which are basically the same sort of thing) are included, but yet these 20 are somehow different or alien like? Does this make sense to anyone else if I have it correct? It doesn't make any sense to me. The change is only for a distance display flag in the meshes, I can't see how this would cause any additional problems. It might be different for animals, but I certainly have had no problems with my fix and I have yet to hear of anyone else having one. As you know it's a continuation of Bethesda's work. That's all I can say.

I might even see if I can add some more fixes soon to the mod as I have not had time recently. :)

Arthmoor isn't at fault in this one. Even he said he doesn't understand the technicalities of it and only says it has something to do with the lighting. I have personally never experienced any issues either and if you're planning on expanding the mod I say we keep it. Besides there is no way of telling which of the other 129 mesh fixes the USKP actually incorporated. The only things we know for sure is they didn't incorporate 20 of the fixes. There very well could be more.

NightStar, one of the guys working on the USKP project replied saying that the work is final so there isn't any more distant decal like updates coming. I would like to hear SP's input on this as well.

Does he then deny that the 20 untouched meshes do not have the distance flag set? Based on SP's comment, it sounds to me like there may be some issues with the vanilla meshes that nobody has ever addressed and that SP's changes simply did not address those other problems ... and that the USP team is saying that the vanilla textures are broken ... and that they are not going to fix those.

Given that response, I am inclined to keep this mod's changes and simply let USP overwrite.

Does he then deny that the 20 untouched meshes do not have the distance flag set? Based on SP's comment, it sounds to me like there may be some issues with the vanilla meshes that nobody has ever addressed and that SP's changes simply did not address those other problems ... and that the USP team is saying that the vanilla textures are broken ... and that they are not going to fix those.

Given that response, I am inclined to keep this mod's changes and simply let USP overwrite.

I agree with that assessment.

I think I should do a full compare between one of these 20 and a vanilla file right? If there is nothing changed in the USKP ones bar the flag, then that should be the only difference.

What two files do you guys recommend I compare? By the way, I meant no offense to the USKP team, I just don't get how one can have a earth shattering bug which has no fix, while another is fine to include and fix. If I compare them I can note any changes if there are any, so I will find out then. If you lot want me to do anything specific please say. I can use Nifskope as well as looking at a mesh in detail with 3DS Max and Maya. I'm not 100% sure what the problem actually is though like you. Something something lighting bug... :D

Thanks! :D

Edit: I will update it if I find anymore, but there are a hell of a lot of files to sift through.

I think I should do a full compare between one of these 20 and a vanilla file right? If there is nothing changed in the USKP ones bar the flag, then that should be the only difference.

What two files do you guys recommend I compare? By the way, I meant no offense to the USKP team, I just don't get how one can have a earth shattering bug which has no fix, while another is fine to include and fix. If I compare them I can note any changes if there are any, so I will find out then. If you lot want me to do anything specific please say. I can use Nifskope as well as looking at a mesh in detail with 3DS Max and Maya. I'm not 100% sure what the problem actually is though like you. Something something lighting bug... :D

Thanks! :D

Edit: I will update it if I find anymore, but there are a hell of a lot of files to sift through.

I would choose whichever one of the 20 identified has the most obvious difference with the USKP. I would have to look and compare in game, and I am currently setting up my Skyrim from scratch (and running to get a rootbeer float :woot: ). I'll look too. I wish I knew how to use Nifscope better ... could you post a screen of the flag you are referencing in Nifscope?

I'm of the mindset that we just keep this mod' date=' and let USP overwrite.[/quote']

I've already updated 2.2.6 to do this yesterday. :ninja: I updated the changelog to reflect and also added a few changes that I noticed weren't recorded to the changelog (whoever moved Guard Dialogue Overhaul to fixes didn't updated the changelog to reflect :dry: slackers...haha!)

• 2 months later...