13 replies to this topic

#1 Marthenil

Marthenil

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

First things first, just finished installing the new version of STEP and I can't help but love the people working on it :D Anyways, on to the topic at hand. I want to use non-enb lighting for performance reasons mainly. I suppose the effect can be accomplished with a combination of mods. If so which ones do you suggest?  Secondly, the shadows in this game are a real PITA. The whole game looks brilliant ( With STEP installed of course, otherwise, well, not so much :P) except for the bloody shadows. I use the high setting as suggested by the guide but the shadows are so jagged they burn my eyes most of the time. Any way to fix that without that much of a performance hit?  Thanks a lot in advance, I do apologize if this is the wrong forum to post such questions, just woke up and couldn't think of a better place to ask them .

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Can you post a screenshot of your "jagged" shadows so we can better help you? Also, there are a TON of lighting mods and most have no performance impact. I'm personally using Realistic Lighting Overhaul (RLO), but search our Mod Suggestion forum for a list of others being used (might have to go a few pages in to find them all).

#3 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Try to increase iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 to something higher. Reduce your fShadowDistance=4000 to something as low as you can stand it and increase shadow resolutions: iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024, iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048, and iShadowMapResolution=2048 to 2048 or if possible to 4096. Also experiment with fShadowBiasScale=0.25 and set it lower (Min. at about 0.15 because lower settings usually cause shadow striping), maybe also trying a higher value, be aware that very high values will cause shadows to be moved away a little bit from the objects casting them, which makes an odd appearance...

#4 Marthenil

Marthenil

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

After some testing (well not really testing, was just trying to get some screenies for you guys) I realised that it happened mostly on moving shadows.
example: Posted Image 

Sometimes though the shadows are plain bad: Posted Image

Regarding lighting, was considering using Climates of Tamriel along with RLO. Is CoT fixed for dawnguard? (The author has disabled comments on his mod and the description is outdated and/or vague)

#5 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

Moving shadows are referred to as dynamic shadows. What are your AA settings?

#6 Marthenil

Marthenil

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

The default STEP ones from the launcher, haven't touched anything else :P i.e 4 sample AA FXAA turned off

#7 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

Are you using an ENB that uses an ENBSeries version newer than v0.119?

#8 Marthenil

Marthenil

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

Nope, default lighting, no enb

#9 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

Can you post your SkyrimPrefs.INI file? Wrap it in spoiler tags.

[spoiler]
text text text
[/spoiler]

#10 Marthenil

Marthenil

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

#11 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Moved to troubleshooting forum. Anyone else care to jump in here? This isn't shadow stripping so Torminater's suggestions I don't think are going to work. There are a few shadow settings I'm not familiar with in your INI (iShadowMode and iShadowFilter) and aren't present in my INI file. Your AA is set to 4x so it shouldn't be that and you're not using an ENB so your AA isn't being cancelled out... Got to honest, I'm a bit clueless at the moment, but it is 4:30AM. Maybe I'll think of something after I get some sleep.

#12 Marthenil

Marthenil

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Apart from that, could i get your insight on CoT ? is the dawnguard "bug" fixed? :P Oh and that being said, even increasing the shadow size to 4k, they are still jagged albeit a lot less and the performance hit is too visible. Also shadow mask is not of much help unless its set to 7 (i think max is 7 right? ) in wich case though they still look like crap due to too much blurr :P

#13 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

As far as I know the Dawnguard bug has not been fixed; however, it will likely be fixed with his next release.

#14 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Well I know that there is a Dawnguard Patch for COT. Dunno whether there is any new Dawnguard bug you're referring to... Just try out what I posted earlier. It might help your Dynamic Shadows, too, actually I think that bad normals or light maps might cause your jagged dynamic shadows...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users