Smaller Ice Spike and Ice Spear (by Odin_ml)

torminater

We have to get into the mentality that Core is/will be extremely restricted. Fixes and necessary improvements only. All else should be in the Pack and not Core. Core is bare-bones' date=' minimal. This mod is strictly preference. It doesn't fix anything. It doesn't correct an oversight in development. This is no reason to have this installed if you're just "fixing" the game; therefore, it's straight Pack material.[/quote']

I think this mod is a fix. It fixes the mesh for ice spikes to make them smaller, and thus less irritating, when fighting mages in 3rd person and you can barely see your orc barbarian 2-handed battleaxe warrior because he has 6 3-foot-long ice spikes sticking in his body. Also the vanilla depth of the penetration of the vanilla ice spike is ridiculously high. A small spike has a smaller penetration as well, and thus matches the penetration depth for bolts and arrows much better.

Also, what's the downside of this mod? A small download, incomplicated install, no more ressources/higher detailed ressources used, no scripts... It just makes the ice spikes smaller, and this simplicity makes me say, that I'ld support this mod for Core whatever it shall/will be as well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also support this for STEP:Core. I've always thought the large ice spikes were much too large to look good. This is no different than resizing the moons...correction' date=' I think this is a much more important improvement than resizing the moons. I think either option is acceptable as they are both improvements over vanilla. I think we should just recommend the mod and allow the user to select their preferred size. It's mostly personal preference anyway, and I don't think there's an overriding reason for STEP to support one size over the other.

[/quote']

We have to get into the mentality that Core is/will be extremely restricted. Fixes and necessary improvements only. All else should be in the Pack and not Core. Core is bare-bones' date=' minimal. This mod is strictly preference. It doesn't fix anything. It doesn't correct an oversight in development. This is no reason to have this installed if you're just "fixing" the game; therefore' date=' it's straight Pack material.[/quote'']

I think this mod is a fix. It fixes the mesh for ice spikes to make them smaller, and thus less irritating, when fighting mages in 3rd person and you can barely see your orc barbarian 2-handed battleaxe warrior because he has 6 3-foot-long ice spikes sticking in his body. Also the vanilla depth of the penetration of the vanilla ice spike is ridiculously high. A small spike has a smaller penetration as well, and thus matches the penetration depth for bolts and arrows much better.

Also, what's the downside of this mod? A small download, incomplicated install, no more ressources/higher detailed ressources used, no scripts... It just makes the ice spikes smaller, and this simplicity makes me say, that I'ld support this mod for Core whatever it shall/will be as well.

I agree with both krypto and torm. The oversized spikes are an issue. Not a bug, but it's a bit unrealistic and hence an issue. I know we're speaking about magic, i.e. an unrealistic concept on its own, but in Skyrim it's real and some rules must apply :)

In that respect it is a fix, not a preference.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...