Stealth Skills Rebalanced (by kryptopyr)

kryptopyr

I love using Lock Overhaul and I always autopick because I hate the mini game that much.  

What I do to make it more realistic and not to totally nerf the lockpicking tree is:

1) I turn off the level requirements for autopick, I see no reason why I can't "TRY" to pick a master lock at level 1.

2) Then I turn off the global chance of lock picking or adjust to 1% and leave the rest of the chances as it is.  

Now what happens is you have 1% chance at level one to unlock that master lock, so you'll likely break 100 lockpicks before opening one with out any perks/levels in the lockpicking tree.  Works out great in-game.

As for this Stealth Skill Rebalance mod, I really want to give it ago, but I just can't let go of SkyRe to use it.  (I assume its not compatible with SkyRe Perks, correct?)

Edited by Garfink

No, unfortunately not compatible with SkyRe.

I've used Lock Overhaul a bit, but never really explored a lot of its features, so thanks for the info.  I assume the 1% is a baseline chance, and that it will automatically increase as your lockpick skill increases and/or as you gain perks?

• 1 year later...

If this does get picked up, NARC gets on the chopping block, yes? You know, since this mod covers that as well.

That's a good point. Didn't even bother to read the feature list until you mentioned this. Afterall, it's from @kryptopyr, it must be good.

Might pay us to load this and NARC & USLEEP and see what overlaps there are. Didn't the USLEEP team make farm animals not report crime in the later versions, before the combined plugin that is?

EDIT:

NARC covers far more factions than this and should be used as well. Only "creature, prey,predator,hunter& dog" factions are covered here, NARC expands on these and adds in everything else, including the changes in USLEEP.

I read through the features, and I like what this mod is trying to do. I think the Basic version would be more appropriate for STEP.

The mod does change quite a few things; I'm interested to try out the new sneaking to see how difficult it really is. A small to medium increase in difficulty would be fine for me. If it makes the sneaking somewhere near Metal Gear Solid difficult, I don't think I would like it for Skyrim. :-P

Overall, this mod looks pretty neat, though. Definitely worth a try.

And thanks @GrantSP for the xEdit comparison with NARC. With your findings I agree that NARC should be kept regardless of this mod's inclusion.

I think the basic version is more appropriate for STEP as well. The full version looks really nice, but it overhauls the perk trees.

I'm playing through the Companions quest line with ESF Companions and I'm already level 60 in sneak before getting to the Proving Honor quest. This is without using any trainers or cheats with the caveat that ESF Companions requires completing 10 radiant quests and 14 days before Proving Honor. In any case, it's really easy to level sneak in the vanilla game without even really trying. One possible disadvantage is that I tend to rely heavily on sneak skills.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Kryptopyr has done here, even if I might have to relearn how to play the game with this mod. :O_o:

EDIT:

NARC covers far more factions than this and should be used as well. Only "creature, prey,predator,hunter& dog" factions are covered here, NARC expands on these and adds in everything else, including the changes in USLEEP.

Most of the factions used by NARC overlap with the ones I've covered in SSR.  I think NARC adds all the individual creature and animal factions (Wolf Faction, Dragon Faction, etc), but all the actors in those factions are also part of the Predator, Prey, or Creature Faction and are, therefore, already covered by the changes SSR makes to those factions. 

• +1 1

Most of the factions used by NARC overlap with the ones I've covered in SSR.  I think NARC adds all the individual creature and animal factions (Wolf Faction, Dragon Faction, etc), but all the actors in those factions are also part of the Predator, Prey, or Creature Faction and are, therefore, already covered by the changes SSR makes to those factions. 

Thanks, I'll defer to your greater knowledge.

I was also slightly confused by the description on one point, if I could get clarification:

I get that in the Basic version, the changes to the Stealth perk tree aren't included - no mentions of how basic vs full affect the other two trees. Also, I'm not entirely clear  on if perk stars are added or altered for them. It's prob'ly in there, but it may have been overly masked in fancy language and pretty pictures. I like those... (and so do Naval Officers, for the record) but they may have dazzled me too much and hidden what I was looking for.

Why? Uhm... I use a mod that grants a perk as soon as you meet the skill requirements for it. So if this changes the basic perk structure, that pro'ly wont work anymore. I"m considering removing it anyhow, but I don't wanna screw with my current playthrough, if I don't have to.

When I read the description I had the impression that the perk trees were unchanged from vanilla as well, but it actually does change the perk trees for Sneak, Lockpicking, and Pickpocket. The screenshots on the mod page are exactly the perks included in the Basic version.

The effects of the perks change as well, but I fully expected this. I was just poking around in TESVEdit and see that the Light Fingers perk changed from 40/60/80/100% easier to 20/30/40/50% easier. Overall, I think the changes (even in the perk trees) make perfect sense and I plan to continue using it.