Infinite loading screen when fast travelling from Solstheim to Skyrim

DaBozz

Question

Hi,

after installing all of the STEP mods and travelling to Solstheim I can't get back to Skyrim. The loading screen just loops and loops (I stopped after 15 minutes) and nothing happens.

Do you know if there is any known issue which could cause my problem?

Thanks very, very much!!!

Intel i5-3450 @ 3,1 GHz
HIS Radeon HD 7850 IceQ X Turbo 2GB @ 1000 - 1200 MHz
1920x1080
HDD used
Skyrim Launcher set on Ultra, advanced settings set to the values recommended in the STEP guide
Additional mods: Project Parallax, ENB, Darker Dungeons for ENB, ENB particle patch, Skyrim Project Optimization
Texture Resolution: 1k for big mods like 2k textures and Serious HD, highest available for smaller mods
Installation method: Mod Organizer, sorted via BOSS

• Answers 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Of course we could reduce mod amount, alter ini´s etc. but it seems a bit silly if the issue is only related to this particular cell for whatever reason.

Once I learn how to find those loading points in the CK and tes5edit I will try to shift it from the docks to the inside of the door leading to the docks from windhelm...

But it is going a bit slow atm, since I have family stuff this weekend.

Bro when you get the time then please do test if you can also coc to other near location like windhelmexterior01 while standing in raven rock.

Edit: And anyone else who might have said issue... would be nice to know if its a persistent problem with that cell when you have larger mod lists.

Of course we could reduce mod amount, alter ini´s etc. but it seems a bit silly if the issue is only related to this particular cell for whatever reason.

Once I learn how to find those loading points in the CK and tes5edit I will try to shift it from the docks to the inside of the door leading to the docks from windhelm...

Bro when you get the time then please do test if you can also coc to other near location like windhelmexterior01 while standing in raven rock.

Edit: And anyone else who might have said issue... would be nice to know if its a persistent problem with that cell when you have larger mod lists.

Will do man. Aiyen, if you find a way to shift the travel point to that other location, let me know how to do it! Honestly, if you can figure that out (and it prevents the ILSs), it should be included as a "fix" for S.T.E.P. since the Solstheim-Skyrim ILS is a very common issue.

What exactly did you add that is related to Dragonborn? Sorry if you've covered that before.

No, I never covered it before. 

I'm currently using the following:

Solstheim Climate Overhaul (used the compatibility patch so that I can use this with CoT - Dragonborn as well): https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33919/?

Skyrim Realistic Texture Overhaul (both architecture and landscape 2k): https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/42348//?

Ash Rocks (2k option since 4k showed no improvement that I could see): https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/41335/?

The dragonborn files from AmidianBorn Book of Silence: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24909/?

Wet & Cold: Ashes: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31968//?

I believe that's it. 

I do not have the problem on my install, tested and confirmed. I have every mod you listed for dragonborn other than wet and cold and Dragonborn Climate Overhaul. I seem to recall supporting someone with this issue some time ago. Let me check my PMs on the nexus; no guarantees but I may have the thread saved.

Edit: unfortunately I do not. :(

I have no issue with traveling back and forth.  Of course my mod list doesn't contain wet and cold or dragonborn climate overhaul. My mod list is actually a bit small right now though, only 90 mods active.

I do not have the problem on my install, tested and confirmed. I have every mod you listed for dragonborn other than wet and cold and Dragonborn Climate Overhaul. I seem to recall supporting someone with this issue some time ago. Let me check my PMs on the nexus; no guarantees but I may have the thread saved.

Edit: unfortunately I do not. :(

I have no issue with traveling back and forth.  Of course my mod list doesn't contain wet and cold or dragonborn climate overhaul. My mod list is actually a bit small right now though, only 90 mods active.
I forgot to mention....the problem only happens when you fast travel from Solstheim back to Skyrim AFTER playing on Solstheim for a while. The game needs time to load up on Solstheim data for the ILS to happen. If you load up Skyrim, travel to Solstheim, and then immediately travel back to Skyrim, the ILS will not happen. If you want to test it out, go do a dungeon run on Solstheim or run from one side of the map to the other or something and then try fast traveling back. That should generate the ILS. 

My character has been in solstheim. I was at the first quest at the temple in which you find frea. Cleared the temple and used the black book first. Then ran back to raven rock and then fast traveled. I will attempt it again, this time more that just 3 times back and forth and from multiple locations in solstheim. Might take me a few hours.

My character has been in solstheim. I was at the first quest at the temple in which you find frea. Cleared the temple and used the black book first. Then ran back to raven rock and then fast traveled. I will attempt it again this time more that just 3 times back and forth and from multiple locations in solstheim. Might take me a few hours.

I mean you don't have to spend a few hours doing that. It's up to you. A lot of factors could have caused this. I can't be sure but at a glance, it seems that ENB 0.217 was more stable for me than 0.221. Also, I switched from Skyrealism ENB to Project ENB so you never know if that introduced some new unknowns.

Oh no you misunderstand; the reason I'll be gone for a few hours is because of updates to my guide and comment support for a few friends on the Nexus. Not to mention, if I play Skyrim; I'm gonna actually play for a while as well as test. :) Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear.

No problem! Let me know if you come across anything.

I can produce it just using coc from the main menu... so not save related. But most certainly mod list related!

And it only seems to be this silly one cell... I can literally go to the one right next to it without an issue.

And there is no difference between using the travel function or coc to that cell... the spawn point is the same, and the ILS likewise.

btw glad to see you chipping in GrandBulwark! :)

Nice with new input!

I can produce it just using coc from the main menu... so not save related. But most certainly mod list related!

And it only seems to be this silly one cell... I can literally go to the one right next to it without an issue.

And there is no difference between using the travel function or coc to that cell... the spawn point is the same, and the ILS likewise.

btw glad to see you chipping in GrandBulwark! :)

Nice with new input!

Yeah well I like to help when I can and support calls on the Nexus are actually dwindling a bit, at least for now(Thank Talos lol).  Here is a thought, are you using the old versions of Project Parallax?  I know that in older versions there were issues in Windhelm.  I would be more specific, however I never had the issue so I can't :wallbash:!  I only read about it.  Also I'm making a test character and I'm going to add "Solstheim climate overhaul" and **Shutters** "Wet and Cold Ashes" **Puked in my mouth a bit** lol.

I will report back any findings in a while.

I have your results, although not as conclusive as I should like.

First lets talk about what was consistent in each test run.

• Tests were conducted on the exact same clean save
  • Test character was created without the mods "Wet and Cold" and it's ashes plugin AND without Solstheim climate overhaul
  • Each test was conducted by first talking the ship to solstheim, helping captain valeth with the ash spawns(Not completing the quest just getting the journal entry) and then running back to the ship

Test one, none of the above listed mods:

Able to travel back and forth from solstheim in the default way and via console. No ILSs to report

Test Two, All of the above listed mods:

ILSs the first attempt to travel back, didn't attempt via console

Test 3, Wet and cold and it's Plugin:

ILSs The first attempt to travel back, didn't attempt via console

Test 4, Solstheim Climate overhaul:

Able to travel back and forth from solstheim in the default way and via console. No ILSs to report.

I was tempted to say Wet and Cold from the start; however my bias against the mod caused me to hold my tongue. However, the test results conclusively link Wet and Cold, or at least it's ashes Plugin to the ILSs. That said, I'm going to run one final test with JUST wet and cold. I was afraid of that, that means that in order to fix the issue, you'll need to remove the mod. Resulting in a fresh start most likely... Sorry man, wish I had better news. Post the results with just wet and cold in 10 minutes.

I am not at all surprised by it, since ILS most likely is due to scripts causing the CPU to hang due to threading issues.

However its funny that its only in that cell that it does it. I even tried riverwood and it also works...

On a somewhat not so related note... then I do not use saves for testing since I do not want any weird info stored in the save to mess up the test result. I always use coc when possible since that is the same as starting a new game every time.

But nice going with the testing... I would also have been really amazed if a weather mod would cause this.

Sadly when you change world its not as simple as a door... then the "fix" would have been easy.

Still I have located all the relevant formID´s of the markers used to transport people about... now I just need to figure out how to create a new marker at some other location, and then link the travel quest to that instead of the old.

There are a few interiors at the docks, so properly going to just use one of those...

The issue persists with just wet and cold enabled. Another reason for it being blacklisted at my guide it seems. That expalins the ILSs I had ages ago when dragonborn came out and I was using the mod. BTW the saves WERE coc'ed. I COC'ed from the main menu to windhelmdocksexterior01 and then saved.

Strange. I have both Wet and Cold and the Ashes plugin plus a bunch of other scripted mods, coc'd to windhelmdocksexterior01, took the boat to Solstheim, killed the Ash Spawn for the captain's quest, turned in the note and took the boat back to Windhelm with no problems. I also tried it again making a save at the Windhelm Docks, reloading the game, running through the same process and was able to return to Windhelm. Do you guys have low end systems by any chance?