Infinite loading screen when fast travelling from Solstheim to Skyrim

DaBozz

Question

Hi,

after installing all of the STEP mods and travelling to Solstheim I can't get back to Skyrim. The loading screen just loops and loops (I stopped after 15 minutes) and nothing happens.

Do you know if there is any known issue which could cause my problem?

Thanks very, very much!!!

Intel i5-3450 @ 3,1 GHz
HIS Radeon HD 7850 IceQ X Turbo 2GB @ 1000 - 1200 MHz
1920x1080
HDD used
Skyrim Launcher set on Ultra, advanced settings set to the values recommended in the STEP guide
Additional mods: Project Parallax, ENB, Darker Dungeons for ENB, ENB particle patch, Skyrim Project Optimization
Texture Resolution: 1k for big mods like 2k textures and Serious HD, highest available for smaller mods
Installation method: Mod Organizer, sorted via BOSS

• Answers 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Strange. I have both Wet and Cold and the Ashes plugin plus a bunch of other scripted mods coc'd to windhelmdocksexterior01, took the boat to Solstheim, killed the Ash Spawn for the captain's quest, turned in the note and took the boat back to Windhelm with no problems. I also tried it again making a save at the Windhelm Docks, reloading the game, running through the same process and was able to return to Windhelm. Do you guys have low end systems by any chance?

If I spent any more on my system my wife would eat my heart out.  It's quite powerful, more so than most.

Have you altered it's default settings in MCM at all? I didn't, I left it at default. Also are you using the latest version of Skyrim and Wet and Cold. How many mods do you have?

I have about 100 mods. I'm using all the unofficial patches and the latest versions of Skyrim and Wet and Cold. I did not modify any settings, just coc'd from the main menu.

Other highly scripted mods I have installed are Frostfall (quest hadn't been started yet though), Footprints, SkyRe and Skyrim Immersive Creatures (not sure how scripted this one is actually). I'm NOT using any high res mods (including the High Res DLC).

Did a quick google of the issue and it seems to be a mixed bag of mods that were blamed for it. Nothing regarding Wet and Cold though.

This is obviously mod list specific as it will be for any scripted mod related issues. I have all of STEP plus some on my personal profile (267 mods) and have no issues whatsoever. I can play for hours and hours without a single CTD, freeze or ILS. Completely stable with all of STEP including Wet & Cold and the only TES5Edit stuff I've done is to clean the mods of UDRs and ITMs.

I use 1K textures for exteriors (with a few 2K mixed in where the 1K is obviously bad) and 2K for interiors (1K for the small clutter stuff though). All vanilla and DLC textures have been optimized using DDSopt. Mod textures have been left untouched.

Or perhaps it is which scripts are running and when... That's a thought anyway. DoYouEvenModBro, could you please send me your load order via PM. Since we're both having that same issue, I would like to test Wet and Cold for incompatibilities so we can isolate the actual culprit(s). That would benefit STEP and Isoku and well everyone who has this issue, it would allow us to choose between the mod(s) rather than just removing Wet and Cold. It would also satisfy my slightly obsessive curiosity.

Okay... beta fix is ready for testing!

I tested it and it worked for my mod list which does include wet n cold n ashes... load time less then 30 sec. Which is consistent with that cell grid being in the memory buffer.

Test

coc windhelmdocksexterior01

wait for mods and scripts etc. to finish loading

player.additem f 1000

Go to raven rock

Travel back again

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiarevib37q7cdr/testing.esp

Yes the name of it is testing.... since that is what it is atm.

Let me get some feedback!

Edit: It does not matter where in your load order you place it.... as long as it is after the .esm´s :P

Update: My initital testing was done without ENB...I just noticed. Since I did not have it on while in the CK... since it makes it soooo slow. I still get them when its back on :(

Okay... beta fix is ready for testing!

I tested it and it worked for my mod list which does include wet n cold n ashes... load time less then 30 sec. Which is consistent with that cell grid being in the memory buffer.

Test

coc windhelmdocksexterior01

wait for mods and scripts etc. to finish loading

player.additem f 1000

Go to raven rock

Travel back again

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiarevib37q7cdr/testing.esp

Yes the name of it is testing.... since that is what it is atm.

Let me get some feedback!

Edit: It does not matter where in your load order you place it.... as long as it is after the .esm´s :P

Update: My initital testing was done without ENB...I just noticed. Since I did not have it on while in the CK... since it makes it soooo slow. I still get them when its back on :(

I will test you fix later Aiyen; however I'm interested primarily in the mods compatibility issue both for STEPs benefit and that of the users who may never see this thread, isoku should also be informed.  Are you willing to PM me your load order so I can cross reference it with mine?  That way I can hopefully isolate the issue.

It would not be useful... trust me. I just finished my major cross compatibility, where I have dragged the edits I want through my list.. so I got masters left and right. etc.

Also altered quite a few leveled lists, and other stuff in various mods so they suit my play style more. A few balance fixes etc.

Once I am done with this weekends family matters, then I can devote my full time to trying to create a proper fix... I double checked, and it works fine for people without ENB, so its a start I guess.

It would not be useful... trust me. I just finished my major cross compatibility, where I have dragged the edits I want through my list.. so I got masters left and right. etc.

Also altered quite a few leveled lists, and other stuff in various mods so they suit my play style more. A few balance fixes etc.

Once I am done with this weekends family matters, then I can devote my full time to trying to create a proper fix... I double checked, and it works fine for people without ENB, so its a start I guess.

You're referring to the ILS not being present without an ENB?  If so, that is incorrect as I currently have NO ENB as of about 4 hours prior to the tests I conducted.  I am still looking for a new ENB but actually I'm liking the vanilla plus hardware effects combo.  It won't last though eventually I will get another! 

@Anyone else

Anyone who can replicate this issue, please PM me your load order so I can cross reference it with mine. I would like to find the compatibility issue with Wet and Cold.

I am currently experiencing this problem and have found out that disabling this 6 mods makes the problem go away for me:

3DNPC v3 (what a pity, I want it so badly :()

SkyFalls and SkyMills - Animated Distant Waterfalls and WindMills

Wyrmstooth

The Hanging Gardens - a Quest

Helgen Reborn

Luftahraan - Heimfeigr

@GrandBulwark

Here is my mod list: https://sdrv.ms/18z4ErA

Here is my plugin list: https://pastebin.com/E8SqNphE

As you can see I have Wet and Cold (+ Ashes) enabled and tried disabling it - it didn't affect the problem.

For some odd reason I too was thinking this might be an ENB issue as I'm not using ENB and it seems like many of the peeps with this issue are using ENB.

@GrandBulwark,

Did you uninstall (remove) the ENB files from your game directory or just disable ENB? This might make a difference. Just something to consider. I'm using MO so my Skyrim directory is as clean as a whistle...completely stock...totally vanilla...okay, I'm out of puns.

I remove the all of the enb files entirely, backed up my inis and generated new ones with the launcher, then dragged my inis back and replaced the proxies. Actually I've already done the testing despite not having a STEP load order I found another. I tested every single mod individually (Well SkyUI was present for all) in my load order. I've come to two conclusions, one it is NOT based on any single mods interaction, therefore it is likely a combination. Two the crash can only be replicated after killing a few ash spawns, repetitious fast traveling/ boat riding does nothing unless you've spent some time is the solstheim worldspace. Which was also suggested by DoYouEvenModBro.

My next step is to disable the mods that are cross referenced from the the one I have from a friend, DoYouEvenModBro's and Ubeogash's. However the results will still be inconclusive, although we should get a better understanding of the scope of the problem and the mods that agitate it.

Possible other issues: This may be related to more than just simple mod to mod interaction. I've thought from the beginning it was purely script related, however now that seems evermore likely given that the mod does not cause hangs prior to having time to properly initialize in the Solstheim worldspace. This could also explain the inconsistency between the results. Papyrus logging is my next step, although I doubt it will be very helpful. At first I thought it was the ash plugin and the fact that the decals from it don't exist in Skyrim, but the issue persists with wet and cold alone. Now I'm frustrated; however I refuse to give up here.

For now I'm burnt out but I will resume testing this evening. Anyone else who cares to contribute their load order, feel free as long as it under 130 mods and even that's being a bit excessive. The more mods you have the more likely it becomes that other issues exist that are compounded by the issue with wet and cold; thus making your load order largely useless for cross referencing anyway.

I am currently experiencing this problem and have found out that disabling this 6 mods makes the problem go away for me:

3DNPC v3 (what a pity, I want it so badly :()

SkyFalls and SkyMills - Animated Distant Waterfalls and WindMills

Wyrmstooth

The Hanging Gardens - a Quest

Helgen Reborn

Luftahraan - Heimfeigr

@GrandBulwark

Here is my mod list: https://sdrv.ms/18z4ErA

Here is my plugin list: https://pastebin.com/E8SqNphE

As you can see I have Wet and Cold (+ Ashes) enabled and tried disabling it - it didn't affect the problem.

Unfortunately I cannot use your load order.  If uninstalling wet and cold didn't help you don't have the same issue.  Although if all you did was remove the mod (wet and cold+ashes) or deactivate it; your results are reliable anyway as you cannot simply disable a mod like wet and cold, I don't care what Isoku says.  Aside from this you have 170 plugins, you may have never had the issue.  And likely you didn't because uninstalling the mods you mentioned solved the problems whereas removal of wet and cold did not.  The only mod that you mentioned removing that I have personally is Skyfalls; which isn't on this other list that I have, though I will test it again for good measure.

Thank you though I don't mean to sound ungrateful or short if I'm coming off that way, been a long test run. :)

@GrandBulwark no problems - I too want to figure out the root of the problem just like you, although I am not an expert in Skyrim mods.

Also - I don't use any ENB. I gave it a try couple of times but I didn't like it and didn't want to mess with configuration.

I am thinking this issue is not an incompatibility, but rather a class of incompatibilities - because I have seen this problem in a whole lot of places with peeps blaming totally different mods - or this is not an incompatibility at all and has something to do with memory usage (because SkyFalls and SkyMills gets me this error even without the ESP plugin activated)

I am thinking this issue is not an incompatibility but rather a class of incompatibilities - because I have seen this problem in a whole lot of places with peeps blaming totally different mods - or this is not an incompatibility at all and has something to do with memory usage (because SkyFalls and SkyMills gets me this error even without the ESP plugin activated)

Also possible.  I'm not quite willing to leave it to such an inconclusive result just yet though.  There has to be something specifically that is causing these issues.  At least that is what my gut tells me, and furthermore it HAS to be a mod that I've had for a while.  I had the same issue when wet and cold ashes came out for dragonborn and I simply couldn't resist trying Wet and Cold once more; I just never connect the two until now.  I did some mod list trimming afterwords which was more broad and unfortunately included Wet and Cold, therefore testing was not done at that point.

My OCD cannot let this stand.  Tired though I may be, I will now attempt to test this once more.  I've already cross referenced a few more, I will post my results in a ~1 1/2 hours.

Note to everyone. Please excuse any grammar errors, I have insomnia recently it seems. That or I drink way too much caffeine!

Let the testing begin!!!!

I also plan to review my mods and find the issue.

My plan:

Remove all mods, enable 3DNPC

Separate all my other mods into two groups, try to enable each of them. Which group will conflict (if both - I pick any) - I spit it in half and test again. Then I am going to repeat this until I have found the incompatible pair.

Hopefully Mod Organizer's profiles will help me with this.