Infinite loading screen when fast travelling from Solstheim to Skyrim

DaBozz

Question

Hi,

after installing all of the STEP mods and travelling to Solstheim I can't get back to Skyrim. The loading screen just loops and loops (I stopped after 15 minutes) and nothing happens.

Do you know if there is any known issue which could cause my problem?

Thanks very, very much!!!

Intel i5-3450 @ 3,1 GHz
HIS Radeon HD 7850 IceQ X Turbo 2GB @ 1000 - 1200 MHz
1920x1080
HDD used
Skyrim Launcher set on Ultra, advanced settings set to the values recommended in the STEP guide
Additional mods: Project Parallax, ENB, Darker Dungeons for ENB, ENB particle patch, Skyrim Project Optimization
Texture Resolution: 1k for big mods like 2k textures and Serious HD, highest available for smaller mods
Installation method: Mod Organizer, sorted via BOSS

• Answers 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi all,

Interesting thread. I see that my mod is mentioned several times (SkyFalls and SkyMills), I also had several reports on my mod page, as well as people solving it with strange solutions (I think they were more placebo).

I am certain it is not the mod itself though as I cannot get this to happen on my machine (Skyrim revisited + custom) and most people don't have this issue. My mod also doesn't add any scripting.

I had some problems with ILS before. It was mainly the tweaks from Z-fighting and SDO in combination with uGirds 7. The funny thing though, I could predict when I would have an ILS, based on the picture in the loading screen. Things like the potion making table would cause an ILS, but many other not (such as the dark elf with daedric daggers). Very strange behavior, I was wondering if someone else had the same issue?. Since I lowered the z-fighting tweaks and stopped uGrids 7 I haven't had any problems. It was stpping uGrids 7 that made me make SkyFalls.

Skyfalls/Skymills was only brought up in regards to the floating waterfalls i think, but I think the next update is supposed to fix that, right?

The funny thing though, I could predict when I would have an ILS, based on the picture in the loading screen. Things like the potion making table would cause an ILS, but many other not (such as the dark elf with daedric daggers). Very strange behavior, I was wondering if someone else had the same issue?. 

Actually yeah.. I can vouch for that. 

ILS only happen if there is no image, or its the alchemy table. 

If its the dark elf then it loads. 

Very odd. 

Hi all,

Interesting thread. I see that my mod is mentioned several times (SkyFalls and SkyMills), I also had several reports on my mod page, as well as people solving it with strange solutions (I think they were more placebo).

I am certain it is not the mod itself though as I cannot get this to happen on my machine (Skyrim revisited + custom) and most people don't have this issue. My mod also doesn't add any scripting.

I had some problems with ILS before. It was mainly the tweaks from Z-fighting and SDO in combination with uGirds 7. The funny thing though, I could predict when I would have an ILS, based on the picture in the loading screen. Things like the potion making table would cause an ILS, but many other not (such as the dark elf with daedric daggers). Very strange behavior, I was wondering if someone else had the same issue?. Since I lowered the z-fighting tweaks and stopped uGrids 7 I haven't had any problems. It was stpping uGrids 7 that made me make SkyFalls.

Skyfalls/Skymills was only brought up in regards to the floating waterfalls i think, but I think the next update is supposed to fix that, right?
I have several reports on my mod page about the Solstheim to skyrim loading issue, and if you search back through this thread it comes up twice as being related if I'm not wrong.

About the update, Yes it should fix it for those that have the issue (Related to the original RWT). Do you have that issue? Can I send you a test esp and Could you please confirm for me that it is indeed fixed? I should have time to finish it and upload it next Saturday.

The funny thing though, I could predict when I would have an ILS, based on the picture in the loading screen. Things like the potion making table would cause an ILS, but many other not (such as the dark elf with daedric daggers). Very strange behavior, I was wondering if someone else had the same issue?. 

Actually yeah.. I can vouch for that. 

ILS only happen if there is no image, or its the alchemy table. 

If its the dark elf then it loads. 

Very odd. 

Thanks! Glad I wasn't going crazy ;).

Yes that is rather odd.

Hi all,

I have several reports on my mod page about the Solstheim to skyrim loading issue, and if you search back through this thread it comes up twice as being related if I'm not wrong.

About the update, Yes it should fix it for those that have the issue (Related to the original RWT). Do you have that issue? Can I send you a test esp and Could you please confirm for me that it is indeed fixed? I should have time to finish it and upload it next Saturday.

Yup! I have that issue. Feel free to send me a test esp. I can try it out tonight or tomorrow. You can PM me if you want.

Hi all,

Yup! I have that issue. Feel free to send me a test esp. I can try it out tonight or tomorrow. You can PM me if you want.
I've send you the file.

Please let me know if you find anything wrong. You can post in the floating waterfall thread if you like, as this gets off topic ;)

Thanks!

Sorry for the stupid question...but how do I export my mod list to show you guys?

Also, I 'fixed' the Solstheim to Skyrim ILS problem by quitting to the menu and re-loading my game before traveling back in order to dump everything. Not too bad of a workaround. At least until we figure out exactly what's causing it. 

In WB, right click on the installers header and select "List plugins" (or something close to that). Just copy to your clipboard ... it provides spoiler and XML tags as well.

A new idea:

What are you all using for your timescale?

I have noticed very strange and inexplicable behaviors using a timescale=10, particularly with travel and scripting. Can we rule this out?

I've given up trying to test or solve this issue as I cannot reproduce it anymore for some reason. Although I did post a few pages ago something that may or may not be helpful to others. Sorry to be repetitious but I think it may help;

It seems like it may be something that the game has to load, like a script activator there on the docks. Do we know what takes place there? I know there are a few side quests in that area. Perhaps someone could test the issue by completing the quest for the argonian lady, and anything else in that immediate area. I wish I could be more specific, but it's been a while since I help argonians for charity!

Also have we considered that this could be an LOD/texture/mesh loading issue. Perhaps one we all share? I know Vurt's Flora Overhaul causes ILSs in Markarth for SOME people without the 2048 tree lods for the corresponding version. It did not cause that issue for me, which is in line with the general inconsistency of the issue here. Some have it, some had it and lost it and some people can't replicate the issue at all.

Might not be relevant...but what does STEP recommend for time scale. Not travel time but actual time.

STEP does not officially recommend anything. I think SR might recommend 10 (default is 30). I like using 10, but if you do then scripted events can go haywire (e.g., the opening carriage ride, carts will often make that first hard left turn way too early and get stuck... or you could arrive at Helgen gate after the doors close).

I agree that the general issue here likely has to do with the game engine and resource management. The only consistent culprit is "lots of mods", which includes heavy taxes on VRAM, process threads, and memory management. Pretty general and tough to pin down. Definitely there is something going on in that cell that tends to push the limits.

Might not be relevant...but what does STEP recommend for time scale. Not travel time but actual time.

STEP does not officially recommend anything. I think SR might recommend 10 (default is 30). I like using 10, but if you do then scripted events can go haywire (e.g., the opening carriage ride, carts will often make that first hard left turn way too early and get stuck... or you could arrive at Helgen gate after the doors close).

I agree that the general issue here likely has to do with the game engine and resource management. The only consistent culprit is "lots of mods", which includes heavy taxes on VRAM, process threads, and memory management. Pretty general and tough to pin down. Definitely there is something going on in that cell that tends to push the limits.

I think I have made a mistake. I have blamed Deadly Spell Impacts in the past for ILS and freezes. Wet and Cold ashes are being blamed similarly in this thread. I don't think it is any of these mods. I think it is, like you said, just a combination of having "too many scripted mods" running at once. I think it is impossible to blame one mod. I thought Deadly Spell Impacts was the cause of my freezes but as I explore more and more specific cells in Skyrim, my freezes have come back. I think these are inevitable and the only thing you can do is just to quit to the menu whenever possible. Especially right before or after fast traveling to a new large area or engaging in a large exterior cell battle.

For freezes there is a direct correlation between having too high resolution decal textures and number of freezes.

If you reduce all to 512 then it should take care of all magic spell impact related freezes. Assuming that you do not also use burn shock freeze effects.

Also about this issue. There seems to be a slight difference in using coc to travel to locations, and using the load marker via the NPC.

Sadly I do not know how to optimize this process any further, since it seems to be at the bare minimum in terms of content used. At least as far as I can see. Someone with more experience in the CK might prove me wrong.

Apologies if this was already mentioned as I'm not following this thread very closely, but did anyone tried using PCB console command to fix ILS's?

I think you can only use the PCB command when you are in an interior cell, right? Given that, you would have to find an interior cell to run the pcb command, then go back outside, then fast travel back to Skyrim. I think it makes more sense just to quit to the menu and reload, then fast travel since it would basically take the same amount of time. Quitting to the menu also dumps all data so I would just do that if I had to choose between the two ideas.