Even Better Quest Objectives (by whickus & updated by William Imm)

WilliamImm

One thing I notice about your fomod is that you're using conditional flags and then processing the installation at the bottom according to these flags (dependencies). I haven't run across another fomod that does this. The ones that I've looked at simply install the mod inline; not in a separate block of code. This could be one factor of the failed installation.

I'm just observing at the moment. I've never looked how fomods are constructed and I've never coded XML specifically; however, I'm fairly sharp with XHTML (having hundreds...most likely thousands of hours of HTML/XHTML/CSS coding). The languages are fairly similar from what I can see.

EDIT:

Just after looking at various fomods for a bit, I'm fairly certain I can rewrite yours for inline installation to see if this fixes the issues. The dependencies and all that extra code aren't needed as far as I can tell. As long as the user knows which mods they have installed (which they should...most do) and are capable of picking the patches they need for the mods they have installed, then all should be good. The fomod installation process will be longer become all of the options will need to be displayed instead of "if X, Y and Z are installed use patch A"; "if only X and Y are installed use patch B" etc etc.

I'll admit, it's a fair bit of good coding you have there, but it could vary well be the straw that is breaking the camels back in MO. In which case, this would most likely be the internal fomod installer's fault for not being able to handle this bit of advanced coding (considering all the fomods i've looked at are much "dumber" ...yet simpler and without issue); however, that can't be known unless the fomod is rewritten in this "dumb down" version.

I posted a comment confirming. I also noticed after running the external installer that the internal installer incorrectly selects compatibility patches that I don't have as pretty much all of them are selected. Using the external installer, only five options are selected and they are the correct ones.

How exactly do I manually install this? I have Dawnguard and Dragonborn but do not have Hearthfire. Do I use Main File (merged with all DLC patches) and then Dawnguard Compatability fix?

This post:

No' date=' the internal FOMOD installer is fixed in Mod Organizer. I didn't have to modify my original installer to make it work. The BAIN wizard still works 100% fine.[/quote']

For those that may find themselves in the same confused state I was in' date=' don't misunderstand what (i think) he is saying here.

I thought all of this meant that just opening the file and isntalling it should work fine, but in order to finally get it to work, i had to (in version 1.0.3 of MO) go into the settings (6th icon from left) and go to the 'Plugins' tab, click on Fomod Installer, and in the description field and turn them both to false. THEN install the mod, which by the way will have the correct items prechosen except for the Dark Brotherhood one, just like they say it will, and bang. Now re-enable the Fomod Installer, and all should be well. This took me multiple tries to finally figure out, and a lot of reading because I thought they were saying the installer should actually work just fine now. And it does. Just not the internal Fomod Installer. Leave the external Fomod Installer on, since it does its job right.

Been working through step for 7 days straight, and I finally have a fully isntalled mod list of 265 items, working coherently (in theory) with the green light from BOSS.

2 years later...and I'm finally ready to make my first run through of Skyrim. Here's hoping it all goes smoothly :D[/quote']

If anyone is looking for another example of a mod that is structured like EBQO for testing purposes, I can confirm that Book Covers Skyrim is. I structured my FOMOD installer from WilliamImm's when I built it (the Loose files and BSA versions are organised slightly differently).

I think I too have had reports of the Internal FOMOD installer giving unpredictable results when used with my mod.

• 3 weeks later...

For those that may find themselves in the same confused state I was in, don't misunderstand what (i think) he is saying here.

I thought all of this meant that just opening the file and isntalling it should work fine, but in order to finally get it to work, i had to (in version 1.0.3 of MO) go into the settings (6th icon from left) and go to the 'Plugins' tab, click on Fomod Installer, and in the description field and turn them both to false. THEN install the mod, which by the way will have the correct items prechosen except for the Dark Brotherhood one, just like they say it will, and bang. Now re-enable the Fomod Installer, and all should be well. This took me multiple tries to finally figure out, and a lot of reading because I thought they were saying the installer should actually work just fine now. And it does. Just not the internal Fomod Installer. Leave the external Fomod Installer on, since it does its job right.

Been working through step for 7 days straight, and I finally have a fully isntalled mod list of 265 items, working coherently (in theory) with the green light from BOSS.

2 years later...and I'm finally ready to make my first run through of Skyrim. Here's hoping it all goes smoothly :D

Oh thank the Nine! I've been looking for this information for 2 hours now. I have been finding out what FOMOD is and what NCC is and where they are. I had finally found the tools screen in Mod Organizer that showed FOMOD was turned on (true) but for the life of me I could NOT figure out how to turn it off!!! I didn't realize that the text on the right were settings that I could change. I thought it was static text.

I'm new here and I realize this next quesiton is off topic but I feel the need to ask. Where can I suggest that the designers of Mod Organizer make it easier to see what settings are changable? Or is it not appropriate for me to say that?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a little confused. I've disabled the internal FOMOD installer for the installation of this mod, but now the only preselected option is the Main Plugin. The installer doesn't automatically select anything else, let alone the DLC patches. If I try to manually select Dawnguard (Full) or the Hearthfire patch, then I'm told that they're, "not usable with my loaded mods. Enabling it may result in game instability."

The internal FOMOD installer automatically selects the Main Plugin, Dawnguard (Full) and the Hearthfire patch, but it's my understanding that I can't rely on that installer. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and enable these in the external installer, or if I should only enable the Dawnguard (Compatibility) patch.'

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I own all DLCs.

Welp... I seem to have found the cause of the problem. The plugins for my DLCs weren't yet enabled in Mod Organizer, which explains why the installer didn't detect them.

Thanks for helping me realize I was being a doofus :P

• 3 weeks later...