Almighty Stuttering

Phyriel

Question

Guys im raging pretty hard atm, cant kill a 3 bandits with this stutter near bleak falls burrow and in very dense blizzard on my head. Well i followed S.T.E.P very closesly for the balanced option - nearly all 1k textures. Im playing on 1280x1024 resolution with game provided aa anizo turned off (chose catalyst to handle that). My rig specs are:

-AMD Phenom II x4 955 overclocked 3.2ghz overclocked a bit

-4 gb RAM

-ASUS Radeon HD 6850 1gb

Is this not enough to run this S.t.e.p option? im using skyrim performance monitor and it actually amazes me how terribly bad my GPU is used. Just when i load a game and menu appears Skyrim Performace Monitor shows my GPU already working at 99% and choking on 300 VRAM. When im ingame its 99% GPU and eating all VRAM asap. I usually run around with 40-50 fps but it drops to 20 somethin offen, but the worst... those freezes... right now im in a save where i get 2 sec freeze each 3 seconds... its like playing on 2 fps even tho my performance monitor shows 20+. I actually tried using FPS limitter found on Nexus to ease up my VRAM a bit but to no big effect. Tbh game is unplayable. Just tell me if my rig is not enough for this or somethin is just wrong.  

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just to add... changing distance at which things are drawn doesnt change the situation huge deal... it does just by a slightest margin if i have to rly give it some importance and i have to cause it HAS to ease up on my resources but it must be some INI stuff that loads some cells all the time or pre-loads some cells in advance... i dunno.

Wow, it shouldn't be that bad, I have the 6870 and get 45+ FPS with all 1k textures. How does the game performance with Vanilla, i.e. a completely clean installation of Skyrim and the HRDLC? If you're having issues with Vanilla then something else is going on. When you're installing the mods, hop in-game after every section and see where the performance hit is coming from.

Well its hard to judge just by starting a new char, at first i made an EXTREME version but it quickly appeared to be an overkill for my gear, it started to stutter in helgen already... like i'd run following a guard at 40fps and then at each turn it would freeze for 2 sec go down to like 11 fps freeze for 2 seconds again and go back to 40fps, not to say i ****ed up my first STEP application big time using NMM (wont ever do that mistake again), then studied, learned from scratch Wrye Bash and installed a balanced option and i've managed to pull off things perfectly this time, at first game started pretty, with 50-60 fps at times but when i left the cave and started to be "on my own" and went into the woods, first fight with bandits at the camp made some lights pop up in my head cause the second they spawned after i opened a chest game froze for 2 seconds and when i turned to them it froze for another 2 seconds, then fight went fluently but at this point i was like "ok my rig is at its full atm so lets measure that using SPM and lets get some fps limiter to actually lift that 25-30 fps that i dont rly need in favor of more stability, then i've made it to first village done my stuff and went for bleak falls burrows, the minute first blizzard came it started to be nightmare. Stutters like my rig was comodore... it rly bugs me... especially after finishing crysis 3 playthrough on high settings without single choppy scene.

But back to the topic... its naive to think my save in this "sweet stuttering spot" will load after uninstalling all with Wrye Bash but keeping that sweet install order i worked for quite hard?

Nshell i tried SBW but somehow it doesnt work for me... i mean i turn on windowed mode in launcher, it didnt work, so i made manuall change to bFull Screen=0 still my game would open fullscreen. And could u tell me what AERO feature is?

if you use wrye you need to edit its skyrimprefs.ini in INI Edits tab, and under: [Display]  bFull Screen=0

about AERO its very simple right click TESV.exe in steam folder and go properties, switch to Compatibility tab and check the check-box's

[v] Disable visual themes

[v] Disable desktop composition

[v] Run this program as an administrator

also remember that after you change skyrim to admin privilege all other direct or indirect applications that interact with Skyrim must also run has Amin or you might have problems with permissions.

you can also try ATTK light I havent tested it, or why not just go ahead and use full ATTK and I will help you set it all up cause you need to add multiple processes to exceptions in Low processes options for ATTK and wrye to work properly, and also your GFX application and other essential processes that need to be left alone.

Ait, so windowed mode works and I raised my virtual memory (actually im surpriced i didnt check it myself, back with my old PC i used to check on this all the time as my only last resort tool but after changing PC 2 years ago i guess i had no problem running whatever i wanted so i skipped that) anyway my virtual memory was at ZERO and displaying only my physical memory page which was 4k. I raised it to 10k using both system and partition. Turned off AERO and guess what... i could finish that fight without a single freeze... fan-*******-tastic miracle. Ok but back to the business omw to fire off SBW and im open for ATTK stuff. Btw lemme know is it a good step to set AA and Anisotropic Filtering to OFF and just use catalyst values or should i follow STEP blindly on that and use launcher values also?

for AMD card use AF 16x in .INI and I suggest for you SMAA injector, and AA off in catalyst and in INI. SMAA will handle your AA better :thumbsup:

hehehe glad you start to move in skyrim and not just having a slide show in skyrim yahyy :cool:

about ATTK ill gladly help you set it up, it also has its own borderless app built in the ATTK pack. understand you gonna have to be patient if you dont know so well which processes you need to add in exceptions, you gonna have to understand and determinate which processes in your system are essential and need to be left alone from ATTK options

Naw i needed to kill those bandits as they were homofobic maniacs that wouldn't let woodelf sit near their fire... i mean cmon i know Wood Elves in Skyrim are like Gay Singer Niggers Jews in first half of XX century Germany but still... well i killed them so did good guys with Germans:P

Ok all seems to work like a charm now... whats the deal with ATTK thing? do i need that at this point? I mean im open for all things that pay off in a long run and i plan on to make a reallly long run this time I gotten to Skyrim... i didnt learn all the S.T.E.P things over last week to give up so easily:D

ATTK its fairly simple to use once you get to know it and what it does!

download ATTK Package (Main Download)

download Skyrim configurator

install skyrim configurator where ever you want

install ATTK to skyrim folder

ATTK is gonna ask you requirements

Skyrimprefs.ini location

steam.exe location

skyrim configurator location

after you install it get back to this thread ill make a simple [i m g] guide about ATTK exceptions

Ok, im gonna get on to this tomorrow, its over 3.40 am gmt+1 here. For now i dl'ed injector from https://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html. Version 1.2, if you got any headstart info for this thing bring it on computer WHiiiiiZZZZeeee:D

Ok just 1 thing I'm pretty sure of - injector uses dll file so ill gotta say goodbye for my FPS limiter i guess? I mean if i no longer need it its not a big deal but just to state if I'm correct about this, renaming one of dlls will render them not used correct?