83 replies to this topic

#16 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Or you buy an SSD and oh why not a whole new rig with the newest stuff out on the market and do the skyrim installation guide and and and and and ... i got to know that it can be a very nice thing to actually PLAY skyrim a little and not only try to fix anything, everything or nothing. if it ruins the game it's worth trying to fix it, if not... don't ;-)

#17 MadWizard25

MadWizard25

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

Fixing, troubleshooting, etc, I actually love this stuff, but ive actually come to the point where i want to play skyrim for a decent amount of time. I think im burning out lol. Just wanted to let everyone know that ive added some more info to the troubleshooting guide in the discussion area (so not visible yet), relating to advanced cleaning procedures; its basically a much expanded version of the save game cleaning method already there, forcing all cell resets etc. Its pretty much done, so would be great if someone could proofread it quickly, to see if its clear or not. Also some WIP sections relating to other fixes, but these still need to be expanded, and in some cases tested more thoroughly.

#18 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,313 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Fixing, troubleshooting, etc, I actually love this stuff, but ive actually come to the point where i want to play skyrim for a decent amount of time. I think im burning out lol.

Just wanted to let everyone know that ive added some more info to the troubleshooting guide in the discussion area (so not visible yet), relating to advanced cleaning procedures; its basically a much expanded version of the save game cleaning method already there, forcing all cell resets etc. Its pretty much done, so would be great if someone could proofread it quickly, to see if its clear or not. Also some WIP sections relating to other fixes, but these still need to be expanded, and in some cases tested more thoroughly.

Good work MW. We are happy to have another proficient writer/editor/tech-geek.

#19 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Fixing, troubleshooting, etc, I actually love this stuff, but ive actually come to the point where i want to play skyrim for a decent amount of time. I think im burning out lol.

Just wanted to let everyone know that ive added some more info to the troubleshooting guide in the discussion area (so not visible yet), relating to advanced cleaning procedures; its basically a much expanded version of the save game cleaning method already there, forcing all cell resets etc. Its pretty much done, so would be great if someone could proofread it quickly, to see if its clear or not. Also some WIP sections relating to other fixes, but these still need to be expanded, and in some cases tested more thoroughly.

Proofread and edited, added a few lines. Looks good to go live.

#20 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Added some more and committed it to live.

#21 MadWizard25

MadWizard25

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Cheers for that fri, looking excellent :)

#22 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Need some volunteers to test the Savegame procedure, I've deleted my old bloated savegames already. Anybody have a savegame that has for instance survived several upgrades of full STEP? Please give me some feedback so I can be sure it's having a useful effect and the directions are clear, acurate and easy to follow. Free beer and cookies will follow :woot:

#23 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,313 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

I can test with my ori char (never played another!). But I will not be ready to do so until I get STEP set up, which could be awhile, as I am being very anal and deliberative this time around. Lots of testing to do, so I want to have a nice clean base with all options (including tex/nif optimizations)... could be a month!

#24 blacksol

blacksol

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Been using the same character the whole way through so far and have not noticed any bugs. Various mod changes including PISE early on and that has been gone a while.Used various cleaning methods as I became aware of them. Last was a few days ago using the previous method in the troubleshooting wiki. Never stripped naked but then never had modded stuff equipped. Although I have not had too many mods that make major chnages. Although I did have the bugged version of RWT and since upgrading to WATER have not noticed any particular issues. I do get the odd CTD, but last time I played (2 days ago) I was running around the countryside for a couple of hours and fast travel etc without issues Also just reverted from ugrids 7 to ugrids 5 to reduce VRAM use (although I really do hate textures popping in!) Touch wood it keeps working!

#25 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,313 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

OK, believe it or not, today is my FIRST run with BOSS since the load-order update. I have simply not played any modded Skyrim for a couple of months now.
I have Steam/Skyrim installed to a custom drive location, and there are no problems at all with my basic setup. My problem is with BOSS not behaving in a manner that I expect. It finds my Oblivion non-standard directory location just fine and runs properly for that game; however, my Skyrim directory is "Not Detected", and BOSS will only update the Masterlist.

My plugins.txt is not getting updated, and it conforms to the alphabetical list that Wrye Bash (latest SVN) shows (which is wrong). Can anyone get me on the fast-track to a common issue that likely everyone but me has resolved by now?

My next step will be to install BOSS in my Skyrim directory, which should clear things up, but that should not be necessary. Perhaps this has something to do with my registry lacking the Skyrim Install Path?

UPDATE: I learned that Skyrim must be launched using the default launcher (incidentally, this also establishes the key I reference above :P ) However, I still do not get the expected behavior. Boss is not updating plugins.txt, nor is it giving me output about any of my plugins. Just masterlist updated.

UPDATE2: LOL I am my own tech support tonight, and all solved in less than 30 minutes :P. Strange that this has not come up, so here is the use case description (I'll be moving this entire debacle to the Troubleshooting-Guide thread):

• After having been inactive in Skyrim for everything but benchmarking vanilla and some texture overhauls, working the wiki and forums, etc. I finally got around to setting up STEP 2.1.1b (my last STEP modding experience was evidently PRIOR to the big load-order change (February?? ... wtf??).
  • Working with the latest WB SVN, I deliberatively organized and BAIN-ified EVERY A, B1 & B2 mod from STEP, thinking to be slick and benchmark this setup under various scenarios.
  • Realizing that I had some additional plugins under my Data directory, it suddenly occurred to me that I needed to be certain about Boss (I found that I had installed 2.0 weeks ago, just hadn't used it yet).
  • I Set up WB and Boss accordingly and launched BOSS.
  • It did not find Skyrim, but did not complain when I enabled Skyrim as the default directory and proceeded to eloquently update the masterlist for Skyrim... and NOTHING else.
  • After several more attempts, looking for some way to tell Boss where Skyrim was installed (this is NOT in the Boss INI, but I did find THIS
    bOnlyUpdateMasterlist    = true
    ... and set that to "false" ... no, this did not work either), I posted here and went searching on the internet. Immediately found a post about needing to launch Skyrim using the default TESV launcher in order to get Boss to see Skyrim (so I did that).
  • This immediately made me think about Boss using the registry to get this info, so I checked and found that the reg entry I had so fervently looked for over a month ago was suddenly there when it wasn't before.
  • THEN I ran Boss, and it found my Skyrim install alright, but STILL did nothing but give me an affirmation that the masterlist was updated (wtf!?)
  • THEN I go back to the Boss INI and find an entry
    bOnlyUpdateMasterlist    = true
  • I set this to "false", and BAM, all works correctly.
This is an outlier case at best, but I think it warrants an entry in the troubleshooting guide, as this could have stumped the hell out of me if I hadn't known a couple of things... AND, I assume that it is not something that most in this community are aware of, or it would have already come up.

whew ...

#26 Vond

Vond

Nyarlathotep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

Yeah, my brother had that for a while, was fixed by running the game via the launcher once (apparently have to do that once, good to know when reinstalling so one does not simply run via SKSE right away). Edit: Ah clicked your link now and I see you found the same solution! :)

#27 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

I had the same problem, it comes up whenever you do a full uninstall/reinstall its good info for the guide.

#28 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Lots of updates

#29 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Updated to use the new headertabs.

#30 MadWizard25

MadWizard25

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

I think the troubleshooting guide needs some expansion and updating for 1.6+. I can think of a few off the top of my head, such as naked npcs, crash before bethesda logo (missing masters). If anyone has any fixes or help tips, you can add them. Some other general info such as defragging, gamebooster, could also potentially be added. Ill be adding some as well. Some script fixes, etc. If you want, add them to the discussion page, so it can be verified. Unless you are certain it works ofc :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users